Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams Tungsten Magwells

Julien Boit

The tungsten magwell for the Glock has turned into a very long and troublesome project. As most Glock owners know there are two basic frame sizes that are used in competition and there is also now finger grooved models. That means that I have to make four different models just to cover the minimum needed to make everyone happy. Then there is the heavy (9 to 10 oz) model needed for USPSA and a lighter version (6 to 7oz) to fit the IPSC "Box" rules. There is also a problem with the backstrap tunnel in the grip. Not all of the tunnels are the same size even in the same model of gun. A plug must be fitted tightly in the tunnel to insure that the magwell stays put. The best way to do this is to epoxy the plug in. This means that the gun is dedicated to use for competition, and most of the comments I have heard from shooters were negative to this. I know of several other manufactures of Glock magwells that discontinued their production because of customer call backs on fit problems. It just wasn't worth the customer hassels. Cost is another factor. Most Glock owners did not want to pay $200.00 or more for a tungsten magwell. So you can see why the Glock magwell has not become a production item yet. (Hell, I'm lucky to get anyone to buy my STI/SV magwell). I don't want to give up the project, but unless I get a better response for it, I can't tell you when it will be availiable.

A33435,

Believe me, I didn't like sending 3 shipments to the Netherlands and having them disappear. I don't like sending anything overseas anymore.

Your right, Flexmoney.

The cost of the material and cost of machining it is where all the money goes. A different material would be cheaper, but there is nothing that compares to its weight. Tungsten is 50% heavier then lead and 100% heavier then stainless steel, mass for mass. If your going to add weight, it needs to be at least 6 or 7 ounces to make a difference in balance, 9 or 10 ounces is better yet. Any other material would make the magwell too big for that much weight. I know there are brass magwells out there that run in the 4 to 5 ounce range.

Beven, i think it was a frustrating experience for the both of us, losing these shipments.

You have more than a good name overhere as a person and for the quality of your products.

Gerald Appelhof who visits the states very often could take a parcel for me if necessary.

At the moment i use brass magwells that needed a lot of work with a file to fit the box.

Greetings

Adrie

Quote: from TeamGE on 5:59 pm on Dec. 17, 2002

Any other material would make the magwell too big for that much weight. I know there are brass magwells out there that run in the 4 to 5 ounce range.

Yeah, I just played with a Dawson 'Heavy Ice' magwell.  Heavy it is, but it's also large since it's chrome-plated brass.

• 3 years later...
The tungsten magwell for the Glock has turned into a very long and troublesome project. As most Glock owners know there are two basic frame sizes that are used in competition and there is also now finger grooved models. That means that I have to make four different models just to cover the minimum needed to make everyone happy. Then there is the heavy (9 to 10 oz) model needed for USPSA and a lighter version (6 to 7oz) to fit the IPSC "Box" rules. There is also a problem with the backstrap tunnel in the grip. Not all of the tunnels are the same size even in the same model of gun. A plug must be fitted tightly in the tunnel to insure that the magwell stays put. The best way to do this is to epoxy the plug in. This means that the gun is dedicated to use for competition, and most of the comments I have heard from shooters were negative to this. I know of several other manufactures of Glock magwells that discontinued their production because of customer call backs on fit problems. It just wasn't worth the customer hassels. Cost is another factor. Most Glock owners did not want to pay $200.00 or more for a tungsten magwell. So you can see why the Glock magwell has not become a production item yet. (Hell, I'm lucky to get anyone to buy my STI/SV magwell). I don't want to give up the project, but unless I get a better response for it, I can't tell you when it will be availiable.

A33435,

Believe me, I didn't like sending 3 shipments to the Netherlands and having them disappear. I don't like sending anything overseas anymore.

hi bev,

sorry for ressurecting a very old thread, but can you make just maybe 5 of the heavy uspsa versions for g17/22 frame and see what happens to those 5 wells? thanks