Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The single round, slide lock reload

PPC Eljay

While recently shooting a limited vickers stage where you started with just enough ammo in your gun to complete the stage, I had a FTFeed malfuntion. When I cleared the gun i kind of turned it ejection port up and racked the slide. The round goes stright up and kind of hangs there in the air, comes down and its in my weak hand! I finish up shooting and drop the round into the open chamber and take the last shot, I don't think it took me the 2.5 sec that the miss would have givin me.

This got me thinking (gaming) If you had a 12 round stage (ESP) and started with a round in your weak hand, could you shoot 11 and drop that round in faster than a full reload? Procedural? FTDR? Nuts? Genius???

I don't believe you'll find that method of reloading to be an "Approved IDPA reloads". Depending on the SO I would guess the penalty would range from nothing as the SO rolls on the ground LHAO, to DQ for very unsportsmanlike conduct. :) Nice try though.

Bruce

This got me thinking (gaming) If you had a 12 round stage (ESP) and started with a round in your weak hand, could you shoot 11 and drop that round in faster than a full reload? Procedural? FTDR? Nuts? Genius???

I dunno about all that, but it is very hard on your extractor. kr

I cannot imagine investing any time in a one-round reload technique, involving an altered style (round in weak hand, still supporting the gun), or shooting strong hand only, to facilitate the reload, for the odd occasion when it might be a benefit. Certainly, performing a standard, well-practiced reload is the way to go.

Edited by RickB

i urge you to stop this practice now, not only are you risking breaking an extractor, you are risking an AD, i cannot imagine doing this or it taking less than 2.5 seconds to reach in your pocket and grab a round while discharging the magazine, pointing the gun down, pulling it up and acquiring the target, even if it would save a second the risk is not worth it, i would not allow this practice as an so, and catching the round may get you in trouble as well

dan g.

Edited by FTDR

As far as the first posting on the subject, the premise is that you have a round in your hand WHILE you are shooting the CoF. What does the rule book say about shooting while holding ammo? PE or FTDR would be the result. Also agree with the safety and hard on gun issues already addressed.

Garry N

This is not an IDPA approved reload, so that answers that question right there. On top of that, I'd be amazed if shooting with a round in the support hand didn't screw up the grip enough to affect speed and accuracy of fire. It just sounds like a total loser to me. Sorry. :(

Yes, I didn't think that one all the way through, just the usual "bench racing" what if kind of question. But the thought came from the pump shotgun, drop one round in the chamber side saddle reload, what? thats no good either? Don't answer, let this post die the death it deserves

Thanks for the informitive answers,

Yes, I didn't think that one all the way through, just the usual "bench racing" what if kind of question. But the thought came from the pump shotgun, drop one round in the chamber side saddle reload, what? thats no good either? Don't answer, let this post die the death it deserves

Thanks for the informitive answers,

not trying to be disrespectful per your request to let it die, but if it makes you feel any better we all make mistakes, you will learn through experience when shooting a match sometimes if you have to ad-lib, you have already wasted to much time, in some cases if you have to think about it you have already wasted to much time {i.e. some make up shots}, stick with the basics, and follow course design

dan

Edited by FTDR