Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yikes The Targeting Education Match Was A Terror

I shot the Targeting Education match in Brighton, Michigan this morning----at the Livingston club that hosted the IPSC World Qualifier Match earlier this week. (we had many of the same stages)

Yikes..... consider this wheel gun shooters-- 3 or 4 of the 9 stages had a MINIMUM round count of over 30 ... and TONS of steel. I thought about carrying some extra ammo in my cheeks like a damn squirrel.

They said it would be a 200 round match... and based on my empty and partially empty moons.. I fired 258 rounds. (29 per stage average).

Head shots out to 30 -35 yards and 1/3 head shots at 15 and 20 yards were tough. How about big fall forward poppers which were "hard cover" in front of small poppers that you had to shoot????

The match was well done... and the MD and staff deserve a big THANKS.... They hosted a major event......4 days in a row. It's time for a few brews-- boys and girls!!!!

My only suggestion--- Loose the big forward falling poppers. My squad had at least 6 situations where they were hit dead center... and didn't fall with ammo that had passed the chrono (major).... but the RO shot them high with a 9 mm and they went down... There is something wrong with that!!!!

Now.. if I can ever figure out why I'm getting about 300 rounds out of a cylinder stop.. I might be able to shoot a decent match. I was jumping cylinder notches after 6 stages... with a cylinder stop that was put in 2 weeks ago.

I shot it yesterday PM. Very challenging. MichiganShootist, you might want to try a Ti cyl. After several thousand rounds I have not seen any problems with the cyl stop. Oh, and I did not make major - bummer. I thought I was over but I guess not. I shot the IPSC match on Th and Fri also. That was also very challenging.

Now.. if I can ever figure out why I'm getting about 300 rounds out of a cylinder stop.. I might be able to shoot a decent match. I was jumping cylinder notches after 6 stages... with a cylinder stop that was put in 2 weeks ago.

Mich, you probably need to dress up the stop notches on the cylinder, paying particular attention to the little ledges that tend to build up from "bounce-off peening" at the bottom of the cylinder stop notch lead-in ramps. Those little ledges can act like ramps under speed.

Mich, you probably need to dress up the stop notches on the cylinder, paying particular attention to the little ledges that tend to build up from "bounce-off peening" at the bottom of the cylinder stop notch lead-in ramps. Those little ledges can act like ramps under speed.

This was the point I sent my first revo in for a cylinder replacement...

Thanks Mike.

I've checked the cylinder (on both sides of the notches)... I think that the new cylinder stop is in need of some additional fitting.

The gun is running great totally "clean" but as I burn rounds through it... the crud is keeping the stop from making full contact with one of the notches which is probably close to being out of spec. I can see what looks like burnt grease oozing up out around the cylinder stop.

So I if the cylinder stop is over lubed and under fiitted... That would explain the melt down.

My only suggestion--- Loose the big forward falling poppers. My squad had at least 6 situations where they were hit dead center... and didn't fall with ammo that had passed the chrono (major).... but the RO shot them high with a 9 mm and they went down... There is something wrong with that!!!!

Inconsistency of forward-falling poopers is a growing concern that USPSA needs to address. On the one hand, I believe there is a need for forward falling poppers due to safety. We cannot afford to survive with our safety record intact if we continue to use back-ward falling poppers and send projectiles - even one or two per match - over the berm at many ranges.

On the other hand, the forward falling poppers have proven inconsistent as far as calibration - and especially after being hit and failing to fall (calling for calibration WITHOUT being touched under the current rule).

Unlike a rearward falling popper, certain designs of forward falling poppers do not return to the same condition after being hit. That is why they fail to fall with a major caliber hit, but then fall to a 125 PF hit.

MODERATOR: if this has drifted too much off topic, please move to RULES section as its own thread. Thx.

Edited by Carlos

I had a couple of situations with .40 major (174 at the chrono) not working the popper, both were clean hits on the side of the center. I think FF poppers are more sensitive to "twisting" and not getting enough rearward impetus to rebound. Both failures cost me at least 5 seconds total, so they were pretty significant. (Move back to position to reengage, failure to activate swingers)

Is there an official area that is considered for calibration, or just a perfect center hit?

H.

I know there have been other threads on FF Poppers but maybe this should be discussed again as more clubs (including mine) are going that way to keep rounds from leaving the range. I think design and fabrication are the big culprits. We have purchased 11 kits from MGM and they are first class. I can't see how you could NOT get complete repeatability with these. I have also seen a number of other designs (homemade and commercial) that incorporate hooks. I can see why these might not be consistant. I know the MGM products are not cheap, but you only get what you pay for and Mike is a GREAT supporter of our sport. By the way, NRA paid for ours through a grant (they're not just a lobbying organization).

Congratulations are in order here, not only to match winner Jerry, but also to Patrick Sweeney. Patrick obviously shot a great match, winning a bunch of stages and coming precariously close to creating a full-blown dethroning. It was a great weekend for USPSA Revolver, the only bad thing was that it happened simultaneously in three different places.....