Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

light or heavy bullets in a 610?

BigDave

I'm using the last of the 180 gr loads  I had loaded up for my 1911 while the ol' 650 was boxed up while moving in my 650.  

Is light and fast or heavy and slow the way to go in a revolver, specifically a 610, 5" bbl.  Just to clarify, I'm speaking of USPSA Major PF loads.

I personally like fast powder and heavy bullets. I shoot a 625 and use 4.9 grains of N320 under a 230 grain copperplated bullet. Lighter bullets (200 grains) are OK, but when I go too light (185), it kicks harder. FWIW, Jerry M. uses heavy bullets and fast powder.

If I had a 610, I'd probably use N320 under a 180 grain bullet.

General rule of thumb: Fast powder and heavy bullet flips more. Fast powder and light bullet kicks more. Slow powder and heavy bullet kicks and flips like hell.

So you'll have to decide wether you want the kick or the flip. I chose the flip.

xcount - do you like how those round nose 155 Precisions feed?  That is about the only round nose coated or plated bullet I've seen.  I have a seperate thread on the Precisions.  Is there a smoke factor?

Quote: from spook on 3:36 am on Mar. 4, 2003

If I had a 610, I'd probably use N320 under a 180 grain bullet.

While it seems like people have settled on 180gr bullets for semi-autos in IPSC, don't forget that there are 200gr and 220gr 10mm bullets available.  220s are exceptionally soft and might work well in a revolver, where you don't have a slide helping to disperse felt recoil.

Lincoln

Dave,

The 155s feed OK - if I do my part. :) The trouble I have is finding them on my belt sometimes. Damn, I gotta go on a diet or go back to the race gun. Seriously though, yeah they feed OK. Smaller holes on the 610 so you have to be a little more precise when you bring the ammo to the cylinder. When I grab ammo my middle finger falls between the rounds, so I aim my middle finger between the holes. Probably doesn't make sense but it works for me.

I'm not one for a great deal of ammo experimentation. Once I find something that works, I quit. If someone gives me something they think is better, I'll try some. If they are indeed better, I'll switch. But I don't like to have a lot of unused bullets and powder under my bench. So I can't give you a lot of "broad based experience" information.

As for smoke, somewhere between jacketed and lead. Not a lot but not "smoke free" either.

Lincoln,

Are the 200s & 220s you mention round nosed? Lead or jacketed? If JRN I might have to try some. I don't mind a longer recoil time period with a revolver. I can use the time to start the trigger moving.

By the way, Precision may have a heavier .40 round nose in the future. The guy that makes them told me he has had a few inquiries and is considering it.

Quote: from xcount on 4:50 pm on Mar. 4, 2003

Are the 200s & 220s you mention round nosed? Lead or jacketed? If JRN I might have to try some.

The 220s I've tried are the plated ones from West Coast Bullet.  I've tried CCI and West Coast 200s.  All seem to have the same truncated cone shape.  It's hard to find something that's round like a .45 FMJ in 10mm.

Lincoln

I shoot the Westcoast 180's and 155's in my 610. I use VV320 for the 155 and VV340 for the 180. The WC bullets are a little finickey about what powder they like.

I have a personal preference for the feel of lighter bullets in almost all guns. I am no master but experienced none the less. I dislike the slow-motion feel of the really heavy bullets and they have more muzzle flip. I like the feel of the recoil better.

Making major in .40 is really easy and after all you are shooting a 48 oz gun. Recoil?

Again I am no expert, but even I can get pretty fast reloads with the RNFP bullets, they literally just fall in the cylinder.

My $.02

RD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Why would one choose more muzzle flip and less felt recoil in the hand? I would think a slow roll with reduced flip (heavy slow bullet) would be preferred in a revolver. Having said that, I do shoot 115 grainers in my open blaster and 200 in my single stack .45 because I like the snappy feel. But in a revolver I like less flip.

Ron, I think it is a visual thing. I remember shooting a hybrid gun for the first time. I thought: "Damn, this thing is flat, but the dot is still all over the place"

With iron sights, this is even more true. Watching the sight go up and down is easier than having your hand thrown out of allignment (at least for me).

BTW, love your new signature :D

Ron, I do not shoot a 610 but have opted for light bullets in a revo. Pushing it faster makes it snappy but it returns to target quicker. Having said that, I just changed back to a 160 grain 38 special load for accuracy. If I can get accuracy out of a 135 grain bullet I will try it for a while. I have only been experimenting for some 20 years searching for the majic load.

A topic drift but Bubber's comment about the search for the magic load brought to the surface a memory that might make you chuckle.

When I shot Action Pistol I loaded with 148 gr HBWC from Hornady which gave me pretty decent accuracy, even at 50 yards, easily keeping them all well within the X ring. The guy who built my gun gave me that load and I just stuck with it and didn't do much experimentation.

Every year I wanted to start out with fresh "special match" brass (as opposed to really used "regular match" stuff) so I would buy 10 boxes of Federal American Eagle 158 RN and shoot it up on plates just to get the once fired brass.

One day I was shooting groups from 50 yards. While doing so I discovered one more box of the American Eagle stuff in my bag. Ah what the hell, shoot it up here rather than set up the plates for just 50 rounds.

After the 1st six shots I checked the target and couldn't believe my eyes. A group like I had never shot before. Had to be a fluke. I patched the target and fired another 6 with an even better group. One more group of 6 and I was flying. I had found THE Bianchi load for my gun!!!!!

Just one more test. The chronograph. I actually ran to the clubhouse to get it.

The ammo was almost 100 fps too slow to make the power factor. :(