Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case trimmer for the Super 1050

I was wondering if this would fit and if anyone has tried this. This is the idea, installing the dillon trimmer in the tool head swaging position. It would allow you to trim and swage at the same time. Using the support of the sizing die, as you swage. I am talking about .223 here. Thank you for you input.

I have seen someone have his machine set up that way before.

But I don't know how the results were though, Sorry.

I myself used a empty toolhead and just ran 10k of brass through the trimmer. Then I have to take it to the Trim mate to do some chamfering and deburing.

I tried to load just after a fresh trim, But the edges were so square and sharp it would scrape copper jacket off. Just have to chamfer it no other way around it yet. But I am all ears if someone has a idea.

I have seen someone have his machine set up that way before.

But I don't know how the results were though, Sorry.

I myself used a empty toolhead and just ran 10k of brass through the trimmer. Then I have to take it to the Trim mate to do some chamfering and deburing.

I tried to load just after a fresh trim, But the edges were so square and sharp it would scrape copper jacket off. Just have to chamfer it no other way around it yet. But I am all ears if someone has a idea.

Keith,

Ever think on a vibrator with some firm media such as small beads like for a bead blaster? That might, might knock it down enough to allow you to load. B)

Edited by JThompson

I dont think you can do away with the backup rod required on the swager. Seems like running the swager and a size die (trimmer) at the same station would cause a lot of problems.

The swager applies a lot of upward pressure to the brass and needs the backup rod to support it. Without it I believe you would get very inconsitent swages and sizing.

Yea, I wish dillion would come up with a solution for chamfering and deburring. It has to be done as a seperate process now. We are just finishing a run of 3000 cases for my son and I, hopefully it will last the season till December!

We are already registered for the Nationals, RM3G, Ft Benning and need to send off the ap. for Area 6.

Yeppie!

JT,

I may be mistaken but I think the intention of the original poster was to be able to load straight through without a separate trimming/chamfering operation.

Nope. You were right I was just speaking to the big dog there and trying to think of a way to save him a little time too. ;)

Best

I was thinking the pressure applied to the shoulder of the case should be enough to hold it firmly in place.

I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

The risk is having the shell plate let go. Definately not covered under Dillons guarantee. Price out a new shell plate before you make the experiment.

JT,

Got it.

Me I am saving my pennies for a Giraud :D

That's what I went with. It works like a dream and is built to high-volume industrial durability standards. But you do have to save some pennies!

I think a toolhead mounted setup in a 650/1050 would make shorter work of the process since it could take advantage of the casefeed, resulting in less hand work.

It'd be nice to see the Giraud cutting system adapted to a toolhead mount and using the cutter motor to drive a chip removal system so you could do away with the vacuum required in a toolhead setup , but its hard to see the Giraud mounted on a toolhead due to its size.

Edited by mobocracy