Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Water Heaters!

kimel

Big Freakin' Hammer

Ahhh....

Was trying to figure out how my ex-wife (aka "the B*tch from H*ll") fit into the process of replacing Kevin's water heater.

You leave the old water heater on her front porch. :ph34r:

Well, if Bruce wants my old water heater he can go get it. It is now safely on the "appliances to be salvaged" pile at the county landfill. They bring a crew in and they strip the appliances and sort the metal out by type and sell it all. The best part is that I didn't have to pay them to take it!

The old one came out with a bit of a fight during which I felt something in my right shoulder "give". Now that I have stopped it is starting to tighten up.

Of course, if my shoulder is screwed then I don't get to shoot a match tomorrow...and that blows. The whole reason I took Friday off for the water heater project was so I could shoot that match tomorrow! :angry:

Okay, not the whole reason...even that project was better than being chained to my desk on a beautiful 73 degree day.

Now...what to spend the money I saved on...new power tool or new blaster....oh decisions, decisions. :D

Mine went out 2 nights ago. Last night I installed my own Hot Water Heater.

My buddy at the suppy house, 50 gal (3 bath rooms) unit $150 bucks.

Lowes, $32 bucks.

1 hour 30 mins, Installed

55, minutes later hot shower!!!! :D:D

I did notice some of you non plumber types used the term "hot water heater". If the water is already hot why are we heating it? Sorry for the drift, but out here we have been known to do steam production enhancement... ( hot water = more oil production ) and one company we use has steam heaters?? :blink::blink: If it is already steam, how thw hell are we going to get it hotter, unless we pressurize it in the boiler?? Sorry for the drift but BEER is the key although I will rethink the Bourbon thing which would work also. Doing it yourself sucks but the "hot water" is completely avoided when "honey" realizes you just saved a ton....good for a bourbon party in the shop!! KURTM

Every once in a while it's monitor needs a nice 'technical tap' to keep it running right.

I call it Percussive Maintenance

Merlin has the term right. In the 'lectronics biz, a "tap check" is the first thing any competent engineer resorts to. Next step is whack it really, really hard when no one is looking and if it doesn't respond, you toss it out in back with the beercans, go get another one and tell the client it "died" and is being replaced.

Gone are the days of component level troubleshooting and 90% ability to repair in the field. That died when point to point wiring went bye bye in favor of modular cards and molex connectors. The advent of this type of construction is just about when the process of slapping stuff around to get it working again became de-rigeur.

Nothing was more robust than hand built electronics from the days when wire is what carried signals, not traces. It was only the tubes that wore out in old time gear ;-)