Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice For New Production Shooter

texaschase

I've been to a match or two, read this board daily, researched guns, and finally purchased a XD 9 Tactical. Plan on shooting production. Got XD gear w/ new purchase plus 3 more mag and extra mag pouch - gun/holster, 5 mags, 2 mag pouches, and soon will purchase CR Speed belt.

Besides practice, do you more experienced guys have any advice for a newbie? Any info on practice drills, drawing, etc.? I have heard a lot about easy trigger jobs on the XD's that make a big difference. Anybody?

Thanks

Edited by texaschase

Chase,

Good gun, actually the National Production Champion! You're good to go with the mags and the XDGear. Later you may want to consider a holster that rides more "solid" on your belt, but that's later. Get out there and shoot the heck out of that gun in practice and matches.

There a many a great written and video references out there. Check out Brian's store and see what he has as well as the dealers forum. Read Brian's book, Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals. Read Saul Kirsch's book "Thinking Practical Shooting". Steve Anderson has an excellent book to help you with your dryfire. Check out Burkett's videos.

Did I mention, SHOOT THE GUN A LOT! Get to your local matches and start playing and asking questions.

I'd hold of on the trigge job until the new rulebook is out. There may be a generally unwanted trigger pull restriction coming about. If you really "need" the trigger job, to be on the safe side of the trigger pull test, have Rich or Scott give you a carry type job.

Oh, and SHOOT THE GUN! Good luck,

Chase,

I can only reinforce what Nemo said.

Shoot for good groups from the bench and freestyle

say out to 35-40 yards. Take your time, feel the break.

Long shots in this game can frustrate new (and old) shooters.

Make distance your friend. :)

Your in need of no additional equipment or gun work.

Brian's book, Steve's book(s) and Matt's Videos...buy them.

Man I wish they were available back when I started.

Shoot every match you can. Observe the A, M and GM competitors.

There TECHNIQUE is the difference maker.

Jim

I love seeing a new production shooter on here.

Man, there is so much stuff to talk about, one thread would never be enough. I got to this board a couple years ago and I still am finding new things to experiment with or try out. Just keep finding new ways to practice and new ways to learn and the sky is the limit.

My favorite drill is the 25 yard bill drill.

Good luck!

I've been to a match or two, read this board daily, researched guns, and finally purchased a XD 9 Tactical. Plan on shooting production. Got XD gear w/ new purchase plus 3 more mag and extra mag pouch - gun/holster, 5 mags, 2 mag pouches, and soon will purchase CR Speed belt.

Besides practice, do you more experienced guys have any advice for a newbie? Any info on practice drills, drawing, etc.? I have heard a lot about easy trigger jobs on the XD's that make a big difference. Anybody?

Thanks

1. Don't worry about how other people shoot, shoot for yourself.

2. Learn to call your shoots as soon as possible.

3. Investing in good training and training materials, it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

4. Have fun.

If you need XD help give Rich of Canyon Creek or myself a call.

Generally I don't put a lot of emphasis on the equipment part of the sport, but I am going to disagree with using the XD Gear that came with the gun. If you can afford it, get a better holster, so that you learn good draw habits from the beginning.

+1 to the rest of the great advice that's been handed out so far.

FY42385

I just recently switched to Production for the last year or so. Production is fun....fun.....fun. Shoot the XD at matches and check out some of the modifications that people have on their XD's. Then decide later. Most important thing is to enjoy...........

I am a firm believer that there is much to be gained from setting up a dryfire training schedule. The benefits of dryfiring, besides making you a better shooter, are cost and convenience. I don't need to leave the house to practice! There are two links that I would like to direct you to:

Andersonshooting.com

CWPSA

The first is to Steve Anderson's book Refinement and Repetition. During the winter months (also known as the off season here in Ohio) I stuck with a daily dryfire routine. At the end of last season I was a mediocre C class shooter. Now that we are at the beginning of the 2007 season, I am in A class, and continually making improvements. Obviously, just buying the book isn't enough, you have to hunger for excellence.

The second link is to another vendor here on the forums. Chris Patty, who is a great guy and excellent competitor, has created this dryfire kit with 1/4 sized targets. Buy a set and use them with your dryfire practice at home. You will NOT be disappointed.

Good shooting!

-Micah B

I shot Production for a little more than a year, I can't disagree with anything said so far.

I would highly recommend shooting at distance (35 to 50 yards), this is where Production hurts the worst. Because of the mag limitations you won't have many extra rounds to make up bad shots, so make ALL of your shots count.

Also, don't follow other shooters. What I mean is, due to the number of rounds you have, you will have to approach a stage differently than a Limited or Open shooter. Don't be afraid to reload in what seems like odd locations during the stage. You want to avoid a flat footed reload. If you're moving your feet, you should be reloading the gun!

You really need 4 mags on your belt, if you can pick up more mag pouches. Dry fire practice and reload practice a lot. It's all about the reloads.

Have fun!

Dan

I honestly have to disagree with the suggestions that this possibly new shooter should shoot groups at 50, 35 or even 25 yards offhand. The feedback a new shooter is going to get at that range is not going to be encouraging. At 25 yards you need excellent technique to shoot anything close to a "group", the inherent accuracy of the gun is starting to come into play at that range. Texaschase didn't say what his skill level really is but my guess is a little lower than what you guys are assuming.

For a new shooter, I suggest moving those targets in to say 7 to 15 yards when shooting groups offhand, the feedback on the target will be just as usefull and much more positive.

Edited by DarkSmileyX

I honestly have to disagree with the suggestions that this possibly new shooter should shoot groups at 50, 35 or even 25 yards. The feedback a new shooter is going to get at that range is not going to be encouraging. At 25 yards you need excellent technique to shoot anything close to a "group", the inherent accuracy of the gun is starting to come into play at that range. Texaschase didn't say what his skill level really is but my guess is a little lower than what you guys are assuming.

I suggest moving those targets in to say 7 to 15 yards when shooting groups, the feedback on the target will be just as usefull and much more positive.

I'm not a new shooter... but definitely a new IPSC shooter. I've grown up shooting all my life but IPSC is whole new ball game. So for what its worth, I know my way around most firearms, I've done some practical rifle and shotgun matches, a cowboy action match (w/ my father who loves the stuff), but no real competition pistol shooting. With that being said, feel free to edit or change your suggestions.

I honestly have to disagree with the suggestions that this possibly new shooter should shoot groups at 50, 35 or even 25 yards. The feedback a new shooter is going to get at that range is not going to be encouraging. At 25 yards you need excellent technique to shoot anything close to a "group", the inherent accuracy of the gun is starting to come into play at that range. Texaschase didn't say what his skill level really is but my guess is a little lower than what you guys are assuming.

I suggest moving those targets in to say 7 to 15 yards when shooting groups, the feedback on the target will be just as usefull and much more positive.

I'm not a new shooter... but definitely a new IPSC shooter. I've grown up shooting all my life but IPSC is whole new ball game. So for what its worth, I know my way around most firearms, I've done some practical rifle and shotgun matches, a cowboy action match (w/ my father who loves the stuff), but no real competition pistol shooting. With that being said, feel free to edit or change your suggestions.

That figures :P

In that case get out there and shoot some matches, you'll have a better idea of what areas you need to improve after that. Don't be surprised if it feels like you need to improve in all areas. :) Dryfire will take you far. Here is a Timer Flash app. I found on Matt Burkett's site ( :ph34r: I hope he doesn't mind) which runs in your internet browser window. Lots cheaper than buying a timer for dryfiring.

Edited by DarkSmileyX

I think when you are just starting out, it is important to get good hits and not worry about the time so much. Of course this plan works great right up till the buzzer goes off and your brain explodes and you are off and running! Try to get good hits, and move along at a good pace, but don't worry so much about trying to go TOO fast. When you try to go to fast you will start having misses, and hitting no shoots and stuff. Also if I shoot right after a GM, I find myself trying to run with them and then I end up crashing and burning. So, watch those guys,(and gals), learn from them, but let your speed build. It will come, and then you will have the points and the speed. Great to have new shooters here, keep up the good work!

This is an interesting point as I always believed it was best to develop accuracy, and once achieved, to increase speed. But then I spoke to a past World Champion production class shooter, and he said to me, that he would rather a person start with speed, because as an instructor, he can always teach accuracy, but that it was much harder to teach speed. Confusing.

:wacko::(:blink:

This is an interesting point as I always believed it was best to develop accuracy, and once achieved, to increase speed. But then I spoke to a past World Champion production class shooter, and he said to me, that he would rather a person start with speed, because as an instructor, he can always teach accuracy, but that it was much harder to teach speed. Confusing.

:wacko::(:blink:

Confusing is putting it mildly. The best competitors in (insert sport here :) ) as a whole suck as instructors. Case in point, my "un-named" nephew is considered by the golf community to be in the top 1%, worldwide. Just SICK good. Honestly, the guy could no sooner teach golf than fly. Of course there are some exceptions. But very rarely.

Jim

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, but when the RO is calling "charlie, mike, no shoot," I don't consider that the best way to learn and improve, unless you like seeing your name at the bottom of the scoresheet, and learn from it that way... I don't know, I'm nowhere near a good shooter, but I just feel like you gotta walk before you run.