Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

<_< Ok I trust ...most of youguys, so.> I hear all this great stuff about the chip tuners for the trucks. I have a 99 F250 7.3 beast , that can get over 20 mpg (IF ) i keep it under 70 mph. but on the long drive I end up at 80 and the mileage has droped in the past few years to 15.5 @80mph. I am tempted by the -Tuners- that cost $300+ . I just want it to help my mileage with out pulling a trailer on the highway & with out the drag raceing starts in town.

I just want to get the MPG back up to what it used to be AND not make my motor & trans crash early.

With Fule getting close to $3 over gas price the envestment may pay for it self if the motor & trans last as long with the tuner.

The main question is if I drive 80 with out the tuner and get 16 mpg and I buy a tuner for $300 and get 19 or 20 mpg with it = ( Will the motor still last as long with the tuner than with out)? If so thin the tuner could pay for its self in 17,000 miles. If the transmition craps out @ $3,000 it would not mater how much the thing improves the MPG.

:unsure:

I am on the Desiel forum = but I know you guys

Thanks Jamie

I really don't think the chip will help in your quest for mileage, at best you will break even on mileage or it will be just a bit worse for the aplication you are needing. It sounds more like a tired pump or injectors, how many miles on the old "power-smoke"? This would change if you were towing, but as you mention it isn't for that. Now If you do chip it, and keep it reasonable, you will note a big power increase with maybe no change in fuel milage and that is a good thing. One othere area I would look at is a bigger exhaust, with or without the chip. Most Fords have a very restrictive "down pipe" and changing that out can make a bit of a difference in milage, 2-3 mpg sometimes. Older exhaust systems can get a bit clogged with the soot makers ( diesels ) and back pressure can become an issue. I know My truck had about 5 psi of back pressure and when I changed out the exhaust it made a difference both in power and mpg. Kurtm

Jamie, here is my story.... :blink:

I bought an 02 F250 crew cab with a 7.3. I put a 5in downpipe into the 5in exhaust, put a big air filter on it...not a K&N, but with its own open box, and a Hypermaxx Chip which gives me 350HP along with the boostgauge/pyrometer.

Last year running 70mph to PA with the cruise I got fuel economy from 19-27mph with my truck.....

Running 80mph with my truck I get high teens....and in town driving the worst I get is 15-17........Not bad for an 8,800 lb truck that will blow most gas trucks and cars off the road...

I spent 1700 on the conversion, and in a year it is already paid off........

I dont know anything about the tuners though....

Good luck,

DougC

I have a 2006 6.0 with 30k on it. I think the warranty is 100k on the engine. I assume these things will void the warranty. What can and cant you do to them? If my warranty runs out at 36 I may want to do the changes also. Any advice applicable to either or both, 7.3 or 6.0?

Yes - if they catch you the warranty is history. I put the cheapest tuner I could find on my latest 6.0. - Superchips. Has an 80 - 120 and 150 hp setting on the tuner. All done with programming. Works fair but not as good as either of my previous kits.... But it is MUCH cheaper. I drive mine with the 150 hp tune everywhere.. Makes the big diesels really come to life. You can sneak up on a lot of drivers with a tuned diesel... ;)

Yes, but please.....get the boost gauge/Pyrometer! If you chip it out, you need the pyrometer so you dont fry your turbo...and much more..... :o

Think of it like the extended firing pin/ramped barrel/small rifle primer kinda thing in the major open guns....There shouldnt be a second thought about it... ;)

DougC

Well...I went with the EDGE EEF 1120 - it is at www.edgeproducts.com = It has the EGT with the unit and has displays for trans. tem + 11 other display options. I got a demo unit for less than :blink: $500 :wacko: being able to monitor the ex. gas tem and the trans. temp is a good thing. Allso I can check to see if my Transmistion has any slipage.

and with 17,000 miles per year ?it looks like it will pay for itsef in one year, with fule savings.

I have the K&N big fliter in it, but I did not see any change in MPG

The larger downpipe sounds like my next best project.

Thanks for the help guys = I will keep you posted on how it works out.

I dont know, but just that alone shouldnt. Doing the downpipe,exhaust, and the air cleaner will do wonders for your diesel. Check with your dealer for sure, but I would do it in a heartbeat on any diesel I will own in the future. I will never willingly be without a Diesel truck again....

DougC

Do some research before buying. The 7.3 surges plenty bone stock and some of the chips combined with a cold air intake and a free flow exhaust surge really badly.

My brother is running an older Superchips program on his 99 7.3 with a Western cold air kit and a 4" exhaust. It runs decent and fuel economy is good for the truck as configured. It doesn't surge too badly either.

With a 7.3 you can get a safe 300RWHP pretty cheaply, it will be drivable and get good fuel economy. Step much past that level and costs go up exponentially. If you want to really experience what it will do now with an auto a transmission from Brian's makes an incredible difference, and it will hold the power future changes will bring.

Start hopping up a diesel and you are on an incredibly slippery slope, you won't stop at just this or that and as soon as you get used to the last modification they start to feel a little sickly again. You can get completely out of hand really quickly. I just replaced a split input shaft hub on mine, was broken right in two......

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

This web site has all the details. DP Tuner is best route. The 99 changed alot in mid year will make a big difference in what's available.

Look the DP tuner folks up call them and give them your VIN tell them what you want and he'll do a customer progam for you.

Also if you want just send him your PCM and he'll reprogram it for $75.00 and express it back to you.

Everybody raves about the guy.

'02 Powerstroke with 45,000 miles. I normally get between 20-22 on the highway if I keep the rpm's under 2000 (70 mph). If I notice the mpg dropping I just hook up the 5th. whl. camper, or take the horses for a long ride in the trailer. It seems if I give the truck a good workout, the mileage returns to what it was previously. No idea why other than the fact the powerstrokes are made to be worked.

Mine is bone stock and I see no reason to change anything as of yet. Still has the power to pull my camper and gear to 3-gun shoots and still has room for the cooler of applicable beverage so I can relax in the evening. Playing the part of "cannon fodder" at some of these shoots does tend to get a bit taxing on the system :D .

• 2 weeks later...

:D Wow! just Sunday I did the install on my truck after the club match. = Edge EEF1120=

drilled and taped the ex.manifold for the Ex Gas temp.

The thing loaded like a computer program with saving the stock setup for the computer.

I went with the second level setting of three. I do not have the new 4" pipe installed yet.

the test drive was like starting up a street Bike with all the extra power.

The Big thing is keeping my (?Foot) out of it. with a combination of driving acros town and on the loop my MPG is .... :blink: Is now over !30 ! mpg with a 7.3 1999 F250 truck.

I drove just over the speed limit and I only have 40 miles on the test so far but this includes stoped at lights 1/2 on the highway and 1/2 off up to 65 mph = at one point this morning the MPG went over 35 as I got off the highway.

Cool B) == I can spend more on guns

If you are going by the trip computer get used to it being a lying SOB, it is using parameters that USED to be accurate.

My truck gets 18-20 on the highway at 80 MPH, but the trip computer tells me I am getting 28-30 MPG.

Prior to the mods my trip computer was within a tenth of a MPG of actual computed MPG, now I don't even look at it.

If you are going by the trip computer get used to it being a lying SOB, it is using parameters that USED to be accurate.

My truck gets 18-20 on the highway at 80 MPH, but the trip computer tells me I am getting 28-30 MPG.

Prior to the mods my trip computer was within a tenth of a MPG of actual computed MPG, now I don't even look at it.

:( .... Yep = my trip computer was always accurate before. That is what I am gong by, I will have to fill the tank and do a cross check. :(

If I notice the mpg dropping I just hook up the 5th. whl. camper, or take the horses for a long ride in the trailer. It seems if I give the truck a good workout, the mileage returns to what it was previously. No idea why other than the fact the powerstrokes are made to be worked.

Lot of truth to that....I did that last year before I went to PA and got up to 27mph running 2k on the Tach....this year the best I did was 19......but I havent hauled anything since last year either......Definitely need to work the engine some more.... ;)

If I notice the mpg dropping I just hook up the 5th. whl. camper, or take the horses for a long ride in the trailer. It seems if I give the truck a good workout, the mileage returns to what it was previously. No idea why other than the fact the powerstrokes are made to be worked.

Lot of truth to that....I did that last year before I went to PA and got up to 27mph running 2k on the Tach....this year the best I did was 19......but I havent hauled anything since last year either......Definitely need to work the engine some more.... ;)

I think :blink: the injectors have to -open- up more and get cleaned out with the trailer. so when you go back you get a better spray -mist - with the injectors. <_< = sounds good

have you guys tried any of the lucas fuel treatment? I use it in my 1995 gmc (weak, i know it) 6.5 and in my 06 pete and it helps keep the injectors clean. don't know if it is the trailering or what but i don't mess with any of the new diesels. stay safe

Kevin

I have tried the Lucas stuff and it works nice.

The best treatment I have tried is Amalgomated (or something very similar to that name) out of Indiana. Cleaner, quieter, very slight feel of increased power and more fuel economy. I can get Power Service at all the stations around here and am too lazy to order the Amalgomated so that is what I use.

:D Wow! <_< Ok Ok th etrip computer lies now = it says 32MPG but in 400 miles of combined city and highway I got 19MPG ....some of it up to 80 MPH but not much, most of it was just over the speed limit, but no fast starts.

The truck has (Jump) now , but I realy wanted beter MPG. It will take over a year or 20,000 miles to pay for its self. I still think it is worth the investment.

JF