Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Restore Grip

abs

Ok, so I had open heart surgery two weeks ago, replaced the mitral valve and now my ring and little finger on my strong hand are numb. I have a pretty decent range of motion on both of them, it's just that they are VERY tingly.(is that a word?)

The surgeon said he must have nicked a nerve and it should come back to normal in not too long. My question is: have any of you experenced this? How long did it take to get feeling back?

I am squeezing a tennis ball and have one of those spring grip things but so far nothing is working. Seems to me that I am going to have to relearn my grip on the gun and use the weak hand for more support than normal.

Thanks for the replys!

Edited by abs

Those two fingers doen't do much anyway. They should be completely covered by your weak hand during the grip. A little more pressure on the left hand will overcome that and perhaps even speed up your splits, there was a thread about that a few days ago...

As to working your fingers; Where abouts did he nick you ? If there are no injuries on your hand then the nerve damage could be miles away, so working your fingers probbaly won't do much. Try arm/shoulder movements, maybe something is just trapped. If the nerve was damaged then it will heal, may take a few weeks though.

Sounds like the ulnar nerve to me. See if the thumb side of the ring finger has a little better sensation than the little finger side of the ring, if so it is likely the ulnar nerve that has been affected. I can't see anyway the typical sternal incision would get anywhere close to the ulnar nerve or brachial plexus, more likely that prolonged positioning in surgery put a little pressure or tension on the nerve and that's where your symptoms are coming from. Hard to figure some stuff out without an exam, get in to see an Orthopedic surgeon if your symptoms aren't getting better.

Those two fingers doen't do much anyway.

Brit...the little finger is tremendously important in grip strength. I'd sooner lose my index than my little.

If the nerve was damaged then it will heal, may take a few weeks though.

Not at all true, depends on the nature of the injury (stretch vs transection). If the nerve was nicked and some fibers transected, the nerve may never heal. If it does heal, nerve healing proceeds at a rate of about 1mm/day or 1 inch/month. You can get out a tape measure and estimate how long it might take for the nerve to repair. The problem comes in that by the time a regenerating nerve reaches a denervated muscle, the atrophy that is present may lead to permanent weakness.

Again, go see someone who knows stuff about nerves and muscles.

I can't see anyway the typical sternal incision would get anywhere close to the ulnar nerve or brachial plexus,

John,

I'm no doctor but I have recently seen where some surgeons are using a vein from the forearm for the graft materiel. That may have been where a nerve was nicked.

Again, go see someone who knows stuff about nerves and muscles.

I agree. (as if my agreement was necessary :lol: ) One of those nerve-ologist shud be able to tell you something.

Are you doing well with your valve replacement?

dj

yup, I am doing pretty well, with the exception of the "noise" I make. My primary physician sez he can hear the valve clicking clear across the room! Looks like my stealth days are over!

abs,

So was there an incision on the arm? If so where? I know next to nothing about valve replacements but haven't heard that vein grafts were required. Did they do a bypass as well? Last I knew anything about this stuff the valves were typically mechanical or porcine, the mechanical valves being much noisier. Good luck in your recovery.

abs,

So was there an incision on the arm? If so where? I know next to nothing about valve replacements but haven't heard that vein grafts were required. Did they do a bypass as well? Last I knew anything about this stuff the valves were typically mechanical or porcine, the mechanical valves being much noisier. Good luck in your recovery.

Damn, did I blow it or what? I was reading valve replacement and thinking bypass surgery (I had bypass surgery about 15 months ago.)

Did I muddy the waters or what??? :wacko:

Sorry about that,

dj

Edited by dajarrel

It would be nearly impossible to nick a nerve during thoracic cavity surgery.

Most likely it is referred pain....or some compression on the spine due to chest spreaders being used (most likely cause) Your nerves run along near the ribs and then under your arm.

Or, they didn't put enough padding on you while your were on the OR bed and had some impingement.

<_<:ph34r: send me some hair from you r brush a live chicken and $2,000 and I will mail you the cure.

No realy get to a Dr. that cares about you. Im just a contractor ,BUT, if I told someone ( I may have nicked one of your wires to that part of the house) :huh: Ahhhummm lets just see if it gets better :mellow:

Besides your doctor is just - <_< Practicing ;)

I've been either unlucky or clumsy enough to have sustained a couple of bad cuts to my fingers (bad as in to the tendon). One thing that worked real well for me for rehabilitation is a pair of Baoding Chinese "Iron Balls" (the modern ones are made from steel and are chrome plated). You roll them around in your hand and it gives a very nice workout to all of the muscles and tendons in the hand. They are also supposedly press on all the accupressupre points (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Ok, so I had open heart surgery two weeks ago, replaced the mitral valve and now my ring and little finger on my strong hand are numb. I have a pretty decent range of motion on both of them, it's just that they are VERY tingly.(is that a word?)

The surgeon said he must have nicked a nerve and it should come back to normal in not too long. My question is: have any of you experenced this? How long did it take to get feeling back?

I am squeezing a tennis ball and have one of those spring grip things but so far nothing is working. Seems to me that I am going to have to relearn my grip on the gun and use the weak hand for more support than normal.

Thanks for the replys!