Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Holster and Belt for new shooter?

mgmcaleer

I am getting started in IPSC and want to know what holster and belt to purchase, at a reasonable cost.

I am NOT looking for anything racey.  I am looking for something that is practical.

The holsters I was looking at are:

Uncle Mikes Kydex

BladeTech

Sidearmor

Fobus

Which belts are the best to buy/use?  

Leather?

Buckleless with underbelt?

Thanks,

Mike

you will have to give us some more info on the make/model of your gun.  Have you looked at Holsters.com (Safariland), they seem to make something for just about everything, and every use.

As far as bets, the stiffer, the better, the wider the better (usually, though no always).  I'd recommend the Safariland buckless system.  If you're into leather, Dillon Precision makes more dress like belts that are suitable.  Both of which are available from our host here, Brian Enos.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I started shooting IPSC a few months ago.

I'm still looking to see what is out there before putting down a bunch of cash, and so far the Limcat with Safariland 773 mag holders and Safarilands DBL belt looks the best.

In the mean time... I've been (and will be for a while) using an Uncle Mikes Kydex  straight drop ($17.00) with the rubber tension rings replaced with 3/8" airline hose.  This allows you to tighten the screws down so they don't fall out, but keep the holster wide open for minimum drag on the gun.  It's still plenty secure to wear while policing brass.  UM also makes a cheap single mag pouch holder for $15.00.

I like the Wilderness Instructor belt and the Blade-tech drop-offset holster.  The nice thing about the instructor belt is that it is easy to cinch up very snug so that your gear doesn't slide around.  I find it more difficult to cinch up the Safariland over belt, but it is nice to be able to throw something on quickly, with all the gear in the same spot, for some quick dry fire.

No personal experience (with Fobus), but I know of a couple shooters who switched to Blade-tech from Fobus and were glad they did.

if you don't what to spend a lot of money, get the uncle mikes kydex. I have one for my production rig and it fast, secured and cheap. the only down side to it, is it's so loose, the gun rattles in it. if you decide that you really like ISPC, then go and look for a better holster.

you'll need a belt that is wide, thick and stiff enough to support the weight of the gun and mags, at least 1  1/2 inches wide. I use an buckleless inner/outer belt with my uncle mike's, but its so stiff and thick, it was a pain ti set it up.  

If you want a race rig, then any of them will work fine EXCEPT the limcat does not do well with metal framed guns.  I use a limcat with my STI, but we couldn't get a friend's para to work well.  If you get a race rig, then definately get a race type inner/outer belt system.

If you want a production type rig, then I prefer the blade-tech dropped & offset.  You can use a race type inner/outer belt system with a production type rig, or you can use a good gun belt.  The best gun belts I have found are from Mitch Rosen.

One of the shooters here in northern Nevada uses a fobus in Lim-10 with supprising results.  He can consistantly draw in under a second.  I personally prefer blade-tech, but in the big scheme, any of them should work fine.  I also really like the wilderness belt mentioned earlier.  Very sturdy and durable.

I absolutely love my limcat holster (even though it collects dust these days due to my fascination with production ), but in my testing it doesn't work well with metal framed guns.  The limcat uses the bottom side of the trigger guard to hold the in place.  This works very well for the STI/SVI because the trigger guard is made of plastic, is very this, and has rounded corners.  The problem with the metal guns is that the trigger guard is thin tends to have sharp corners.  The net result is that the metal guns tend to 'rock' in the holster which makes for a nasty draw.  Also, metal of the trigger guard can dig into the plastic parts of the limcat further aggravating the draw.  

My limited and open guns are both STI, so  the limcat is perfect for me.  Unless the Limcat has undergone some design changes, I would not use it for a metal gun.

mgm....,

Another vote for the Uncle Mike's or one of the other fine, injection molded holsters.  They're super cool just because you can chop them up and custom fit them for you.  I needed to get the butt of my gun away from my portly body and way able to slap in some aluminum stand offs on the belt carrier of the UM's and get the fit just like I needed.  The best part is, if you totally screw up, you're only out $20.  I think the Blade Tech molded holster is equally customizable.  For a belt, I just use a Dillon double thick belt.  It's the best leather belt I've ever seen or owned.

The difference in draw time between a "racey" holster and kydex is maybe a couple tenths, so for learning a high-dollar holster is probably not your best investment.  But, you already knew that....  ;)

Have fun!!