Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Prices

bountyhunter

This totally blows. Ammo prices are through the roof. Last year I could get new 9mm ammo like Sellier+Bellott or Winchester for about $100 - $120/case on the internet. Now, the cheapest is about $165 and up.

.40 and .38 have gone up about 50% from last year as well.

I am fed up with outdoormarksman.com because they never have any of the Miwall reloads in stock any more.

I read in the news that the ammo shortage is one of the many gifts the Iraq war has given us.

But, I'll guarantee that the price spike in ammo is going to be like the price spikes in gasoline:

here to stay :angry:

Edited by bountyhunter

The ongoing 'ammo crisis' is all anyone here is talking about any more. It's not just the prices--it's the lack of availability that's freaking ME out. I'm willing to pay the slightly higher (or VERY higher, depending on your outlook) prices, but I want to be sure I can actually go out and GET the product in the first place. Jeez! I haven't even been shooting for a month, in part because I'm afraid to use up what ammo and bullet stock I DO have at the moment! How frackin' self-defeating!!

I like to keep about 4K rds of .45ACP bullet stock on hand and I only have about 2,500 rds in the closet right now...... Acck. :unsure:

Told you guys at least one year ago!!!! :P:P:D;)

Ivan

I listened, and put 60,000 worth of powder, primers and bullets under the bench. Glad I did it, but I fear I am only delaying the problem. :(

Maybe your hoarding is what started the problem :wub:

Ivan

I listened, and put 60,000 worth of powder, primers and bullets under the bench. Glad I did it, but I fear I am only delaying the problem. :(

Really :blink:

Ivan

I may be a hoarder, but I'm a hoarder with bo-bo's!!! :lol:

My problem is, I couldn't afford to build up my supplies last year even though I did and I have the itch to buy stuff again even though I don't need it due to the price increases going on. As far as ammo and components go, I'm pretty good, but would like to see getting some more primers since they never go bad and the price on them will continue to climb. I'm trying to figure out if I want to get something in stock, even at the higher price. It's tough to pay $35 more for a sleeve of primers that was at $90 last year and is now tipping the money scale at $125/5k. Maybe I'll ust switch over to Production after the Nationals since I can shoot it cheaper than about anything else. Though the only expensive part of shooting a revolver are the primers, though they have only gone up to 2.5 cents each from 1.9 cents. Doesn't seem like much till you buy 10k and are as scarce as hen's teeth. I don't mind paying for them, it's finding them that is impossible.

Vince

FYI: just got a "cheaper than dirt" catalog yesterday:

The Sellier and Bellott 9mm (115 gr) standard 9mm ammo they were selling for $6/box last year is now $10.80......

At Outdoor Mrksman.com the Miwall 9mm ammo has been out of stock for eight months (at least).

Check the increases on .308 and .223 ammo. I never reloaded for my 3 gun rifles, I will now. Even the crap surplus ammo is outrageous.

Tell me about it. The cheapest I could find .223 for was 40 cents a round (if you buy 1000 or more in Sportsmans Guide with a member discount) unless you went with Wolf, and even that is 24 cents in quantitiy (and non-reloadable, steel-cased). I am pining for the days when I could get 2700 rounds of .223 (9 300 round battlepacks in a crate) of South African mil surp for $350 at my local gun show. That's 12 cents a round!!! I bought 8100 rounds 4 years ago thinking it was plenty...boy was I wrong...I only have 300 rounds left, so I thought I would just roll my own this year. I've got primers, brass and powder. Called Powder Valley to get some 55 grain Winnys and they laughed at me. :angry: Said you can't get them anywhere...military has everybody changed-over to run their 62 grainers, and the manufacturers are only tooling up for them. Three-Gun is gonna be tough this year.

Edited by Barrettone

The cheapest I could find .223 for was 40 cents a round (if you buy 1000 or more in Sportsmans Guide with a member discount) unless you went with Wolf, and even that is 24 cents in quantitiy (and non-reloadable, steel-cased).

Crap! I was hoping to buy an AR this year, but now I'm not sure I want to! My lil' Mech Tech carbine in 9mm sounds better all the time, I just can't play in the long range matches with it.