Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race holster quandary

Shepard

I’ve been using an 011 for a couple of years now and it has given yeoman’s service but I would like to change to something that doesn’t have that lower piece that rides on my leg. I’ve tried Garcia’s Universal holster and like it as long as I don’t have to draw on the move. That holster, for me at least, requires that I draw straight up and if my leg is moving then the holster moves out of alignment and I’m pulling my pants over my head. Could someone tell me if the other limcat, ghost, etc holsters can be set up to avoid this problem?

Thanx in advance,

Shepard

I,m not sure about the ghost or arredondo ,but I've tried the limcat and the garcia model. The limcat seems a bit too slick when unlocked,it doesn't seem like one I'd want to run with. If I was going to use a holster without the lower cup I'd use the garcia model. The way you can unlock it as you draw is the feature I like about it. I've never used either in a match just tried them on. I like having that lower cup, just feels more secure. Currently I'm using CR Speeds holster with their new versahanger. When moving though I like to try to get the gun out of the holster first unless you have to use your strong for opening a door or something like that. Hope this helps.

I've been using a ghost for about a year.  the down side of it is you have to drill a hole in your trigger guard. other than that it's a great holster, very slick and secure. with it locked, you would have to break the holster to get the gun out, however the release lever is positioned that you would normally hit it and unlock the holster on the draw. and in the unlock position, I've bent over to pick up brass and never had the gun come out.  

I think that your choice of holster really depends on what you want. Any holster with a muzzle spud/cup will be more dependable/safe than one without.

I've been using a CR Speed holster for the past two years and I really like it. If it is locked, you cannot draw the pistol. If it is unlocked you can draw the pistol (but only in one direction). Even in the unlocked position the holster is quite secure (you can probably pass the IPSC holster retention test). With an adjustable hanger you can put the holster where you want it and it works very well.

Cheers,

I've tried a lot of holster over the years : 011, Nolan , CR speed and 2 different models of Ghost to finally come to the Speedsec CW5, known in the US as the Extreme holster from Frank Garcia.

For me, it's faster than the ghost, as safe while locked, it's light and confortable.

A winner for me !

DVC

Julien

I have a garcia extreme and like it as long as I don't have to move and draw.  My leg moving causes the holster to change alignment and the gun binds.  I like everything about my 011 except I don't trust it to retain the pistol if I have to move aggressively to a position before drawing.  If you guys know how I could better set up the garcia or of any other type of holster without the lower cup that won't bind I'd love to hear about it.

From the posts so far though it looks like all the "no lower cup" holsters have to be drawn straight up.

Thanx for the input,

Shepard

I like the CR with the vesa hanger someone cut the bottom off the holster but all he is shooting is limited. But I do like to CR it is a nice and fast holster and it locks the gun in. I saw a $4100.00 gun hit the pavement at a match and he had a limcat holster

I've had just about every holster out there, CR Speed, Hogue, blade tech, etc. I finally setteled on the 011 because I had spent so much on holsters then sold them half price on USPSA and told myself it really didn't matter that much, the draw is a small part of the game. Then I knocked my loaded gun out of the 011 on a stage where you had to hold a tire iron bent over near a car, while droping the tire iron and going for the gun my forearm hit the mag well and when my hand got to where the gun should have been there was nothing there. I then looked down and saw (in slow motion) my gun hitting the dirt.

Now I'm using the ghost, I think it is the way to go. You can leave it locked on stages like that and it unlocks with your normal draw. Plus it is the most adjustable holster out there, and it is lightening fast. Yeah, you have to drill your trigger guard, but so what. I haven't tried the Garcia one, I understand it is comparable.

So in case you didn't figure it out I now have a 011 for sale. Good luck.

I've been using a Limcat on a custom hanger for two years...fast, easy to use, fits Open and Limited guns (and pretty much any 1911-type I can shove in it...Para, Colt, STI, Caspian).  Mine seems a little weird, as I have no trouble with round or square trigger guards without having to switch rockers.

And I haven't dropped any pistols  :)

Milage may vary, I'm just a sandbagging "B" type.

Alex

Jcollin160, I'll e-mail you about those modifications. I'm not all that mechanically inclined so I'm having trouble visualizing what I need to do.

If those mods don't do the trick it sounds like I'm the problem and not the holster, imagine that (grin).  

Thanx guys for the help in the slow crawl toward equipment happiness.

Remember if you have a holster without something over the end of the barrel, it is much more likely to come out of the holster prematurely. (ie getting into a funky sitting position and knocking it out on your leg) If It cannot pass the holster retention test and be ready to draw at the same time (ie no fiddling with retention knobs) what is the point. Better safe than sorry. I know people love Limcat/Ghost type holster but at Area 1 2001 several guns hit the ground because of a weird start position, the rumor was most were the Limcat/Ghost type. I do not want to have to leave a match early because I drop my gun, a holster that I use MUST function as a holster. I have done somersaults with my CR 2001 holster and it doesn't come out and I can still draw it. The same with my Bianchi, not with my 011.

I just took my new arredondo to the range today and am very happy with the choice.  The new model has the locking lever, but in the 12lb mode I was running through the "range house" (unloaded) jumping through windows, etc. and could not get the gun to fall out.

I really like the fact that even if I forget to "lock" before leaving the line, it's not going to go anywhere.

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/AA_holster.cfm