Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data For .45 230gr Lead Using 231 Powder?

delta6

Looking for loading data for .45 ACP, 230 grain lead bullet, using Winchester 231 powder?

I beleive the old standby was 5.7 grains, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would start at 5.0gr, as I think 5.2 makes 170ish in my guns. 5.7 was with 200gr HG bullets for 175 PF level, if I remember right. We loaded 230LRN with 5.9 W231 for Pins as well.....

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

You might already know this, but 231 is a dirty, filthy powder. It leaves behind a very sticky residue, especially when loaded light. On the plus side, it does have a fairly decent margin of error. I haven't used it lately in the .45 ACP but I believe 5.7 grs. would be a bit much (in regard to what you need for 165 PF, but not pressure). I now use Clays, which is much cleaner. I wouldn't bother with 231 unless I had a large quantity of it or got it for free.

Dave Sinko

The W-W 14th Edition reloading manual prides the following data for 45 ACP loaded with 230 gr. Lead RN bullet:

4.5 gr. W-231 = 765 fps = 15500 psi

5.1 gr. W-231 = 870 fps = 19800 psi = MAX

Don't know where you got the notion of 5.7 gr W-231 as a safe load.

Looking for loading data for .45 ACP, 230 grain lead bullet, using Winchester 231 powder?

I beleive the old standby was 5.7 grains, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

TonyT is pretty much on the money. The Winchester loading book shows a little over five grains as max for a 230, However, I shot bowling pins for years and used 5.8 of 231 with a 225 precision fp. HOT, but OK in my guns.

You should start with 4.5 grains (that is a major load) for USPSA. See if you like it and go from there. 231 is dirty, but I really like it and plan to clean my pistols anyway. I buy eight pounds at a time and use it for 9 mm, 9x23, .40 S&W, and .45 acp.

For .40 and 9x23 I use different powder and charges for matches and 231 for practice. I use loads right out of the Winchester Loading Manual (free at your local merchant / probably available on line) and you should, too. There is too much misinformation on the Internet.

Be careful and double check your loads.

Buddy

I called (and shoot) Rainier 230 RN out of my .45. When I saw the info here I had to call them again to confirm my load. The STARTING load from them for 231 is 5.6. So I called the lady I spoke to a long time ago to check on my load. Spoke to Phyllis at 1-800-638-8722. She confirmed 5.6 as a starting load.

Radnor, with all due respect, she is dead wrong (I assume that she is giving out 200gr info instead of 230....).

Please go to Winchester's website and check the numbers there. Plated bullets use the same load data as lead bullets, and you always reduce the jacketed load data by .02grain for lead/plated.

Simply put, find the 230 FMJ load date on the Winchester website, which has now been given to Hogdon powder, reduce the jacketed load by .02 grains for what you want, and there you go.

As it has been already stated, you have to be careful with what you see on the internet and cross-reference with known data to be safe.... ;)

Good luck,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

I use 5.1 231 behind masterblasters 230gr RN. The powder is dirty but the bullet is polymer coated (no wax type lube) it is an exellent combo for me I clean my 1911 once a month or 800 rds. whichever comes first. If you shoot lead you might go to masterblasterbullets.com for some samples.

Hodgdon's load tables at their web site for W231 and lead 230gr bullets are based on an OAL of 1.200 and show much smaller charges. Several other manuals show an OAL of 1.273-1.275 and higher charges for start/max. That may be the disparity.

Steve