Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docter Sight

bompa

Can anybody tell me about the Docter sight ?? How does it hold up to heavy use ?? I have tried the J-point and found it lacking and there is nothing else in this type sight..  Maybe..

Saw something on the EGW site today about having 5th

generation Optima's for sale but don't know if that was old and out of date..Anybody know about them ??

The 3rd Gen Docter's are good, the second gen had two wires that come off and the dot would go out. I ran a 3rd gen 3.5 on my gun last season with no problems. A couple other guys have been running them for 2+ years without failures. They are a few dollars more than the optimas/jpoint but they are metal and glass not plastic. The quality is good.

I have now broken two of them, slide ride, on a Beretta 9mm shooting minor loads.

The first time was the wire thing described earlier here, and the second I believe was due to a loose mount job by a local smith.

When it works, I REALLY like it, and I don't mind the slide ride action at all.

I plan to get the mount done right and soldier on with the docter Beretta as a steel open gun, as it will cycle my 100 PF steel loads.

SA

jcollin you say the docter uses the same mounting holes.

Does that mean that an Optima can be used on a docter mount ?? Also is it possible to use a docter sight on a optima base ??

Is up really up or is it down ??

bompa:

You can use an Optima on a Docter mount but not the oppposite, the Docter is longer than the Optima, unless you're using the new Rescomp "One for all" mount that accept Cmore, Oko, Optima and Docter on the same mount.

I tried to put a Docter on the Allchin Optima mount, and it didn't worked.

DVC

Julien

The mounting screw holes are not indentical but close enough if you enlarge them just a little.  The Doc is longer and more importantly the 4 studs that  locate the sight on the base are different from the Optima. If you don't use those studs the sight won't return to zero very well when you take it off to change batteries. I've got the dimensions somewhere if anyone needs them. The newest version of ;the Doc with the little screws holding the "hood" on hold up much better but they can still fail if you mount them directly on the slide.  .

• 2 weeks later...

Finely recieved a Docter Sight and the mount for the CZ75.. Haven't shot it yet but it is impressive.. Quite a bit different than the Optima's I have been useing on other guns.. Its a bit heaver also and I was wondering if that will give me any problems ?? Also the manual is a bit vauge on sighting in and moving the dot..Does one adjust in the same manner as the Optima ?? Move dot to POI ??

Thanks for any help..

Sighted mine in and it stayed forever, til it broke. (2nd generation.)

I do seem to recall the adjustments being backwards from a C-more. With a c-more you turn the direction you want the bullet to go, with the docter you move the dot, which is the opposite direction. (from memory, awhile ago)

I grouped mine at 10 yards, then checked it on a pop can at 25 yards. I'm sending my broken one in for the third generation. Good luck,

SA

"just a hint: Docter sights are also sold for airguns. They are the exact same sights, only at about $30 each"

----------------------------------------------

I have searched high & low on the web, and I find the lowest price on a Docter sight to be about $270 (US). I find that most mounts run about $40 (US). I have not found anything for the Docter that is about $30. I have also found no "Airgun" model of the Docter sight at the manufacturers US website http://docteropticsusa.com/doctersight/index.html

The $64 question here is "would a low price "Airgun" model be able to withstand recoil?"

Regards,

Hey Detlef, I'm going to start you on your way to riches. I'm willing (as are others I'm sure) to pay you $60.00 for your $30.00 Docter sight. Buy me a couple and you can make 100% profit per sight. Now where else can you go and have a customer beg to let you make a profit. Matter of fact I'll take 10 at 60 per.  P.S. I'll need the origional Docter sight!

Put the Docter sight on my CZ75 and proceded to sight it in..Things were going well,I thought,and then noticed that the mount was loose in the dovetail..Never had this happen with any of the Optimas I have on other guns and they are not loctited on..The Doctor is heavier than the Optimas,is this the reason that it didn't stay in place ?? I have reinstalled it with a liberal amount of blue loctite,will this hold or should I use the red ?? I know that the red is forever,so I am hesitant to use it..

I liked the Docter right away because I shoot in a indoor range and the Optimas get dim where the Doctor was nice and bright..  I have been told to use two 2016 batteries in the Optima..Will this work or will it kill the light ??

while I'm at it, do you want me to get you high-cap Glock magazines for $ 7/pc (last Austria store price I saw).

Unfortunately, my time is much too expensive for such dealings to be worth it for me.

I am waiting for a response re. the air gun Docter sight.

--Detlef