Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docter Sight

bompa

Bompa, if the mount is loose in the dovetail no amount of loctite will keep it tight. Loctite needs close tolrences to work.  You need a new mount or peen the old one to get a good fit.  Another way would be to use something like JB weld.

Did I forget to say that I used a bit of shim stock to make things a bit tighter also..This gave me a friction fit,not too tight but tight.enough I hope..Then a liberal dose of blue loctite..Find out this evening if it works..

Bompa, I wouldn't be afraid to use red loctite, you can get it loose if you need to and it holds much better than blue.

Detlef, since your not interested in making money why don't you share your connection with us so we can all check it out?  I could really use a few cheap Doc sights.

o.k., here I go: I was *all wrong*! Docter does not offer their sights cheaper for air guns. Umarex/Walther (the German air gun manufacturer whose products are marketed by S&W in the US) sells a version of the Czech OKO sight at $ 50/pc for their air guns that is identical to OKO's real gun version. I don't know what dot size it is.

See http://www.umarex.de and http://www.oktarget.cz/

But an OKO is not a Docter. Sorry for getting you all excited!

--Detlef

To backtrack a bit I ran a hundred rounds through the CZ with the Docter sight and everything seemed to stay together fine..Really like the sight as it is so much brighter than the Optima's I have..Shoot in a dark indoor range and the Optima's get real dim..Got to try two # 2016 batteries,was told that they increased the brightness in the Optima..Anybody tried it ?? Does it work ??

Does your Doc sight have the little screws on the side that hold the hood around the glass to the frame? If so it might last.  The 2 batteries will brighten the dot in an Optima but it's a pain to get to work right, you have to get the battery contacs just right.  I think Arendendo makes a battery pack that works good.  With either site it's a problem indoors when you stand in a dark area and the targets are lit up, the site adjusts for the dark and dims the dot down when you need it bright. It's automatic and nothing you can do about it, well I tried wiring around the sensor in the Doc site but it was too bright most of the time.

The Docter sight has the screws on the hood and the silver ribbon from the battery to the light..

I shot today in a dark indoor range and compared it with an Optima.. The Optima was dim and the Docter was bright,a world of difference between them.. I suppose only time will tell as far as durability is conserned but I am impressed..

Yes the cover,hood, is supposed to extend battery life to two or three years.. I have Optima's that have been on guns for maybe three years,time does fly,and the batterys are still good..

Quote: from Detlef on 11:34 pm on Jan. 3, 2003

Umarex/Walther (the German air gun manufacturer whose products are marketed by S&W in the US) sells a version of the Czech OKO sight at $ 50/pc for their air guns that is identical to OKO's real gun version.

--Detlef

Detlef,

The Umarex looks like an OKO, but they are totally different : not the same glass, plastic quality...

The Umarex is just good for Airsoft and would not withstand the recoil of a real gun.

We tried one on a Tanfoglio open and it blew out right away.

Don't use them !!! Been there, done that (actually a friend of mine...)

hmmm, wrong on two counts in one thread? Hard to swallow.... Indeed, I have never tried one, but somone in our club brought one, installed on a Glock. It had *Walther* engraved on it, and stood up fine for about 100 rds. He swore it was the exact same sight...

Proving again that this forum is useful for bringing out the facts...

--Detlef

upon rereading my own post I should have reworded it...anyway: nothing happened, he packed up his gun and left. I called him investigating (in response to people's inquiries here), and he said he hadn't shot the gun since. But if Jerome has a case of the Walther sight breaking immediately, there is indeed strong evidence that *too good to be true*, well....is.

--Detlef

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: from bompa on 11:02 pm on Jan. 5, 2003

I suppose only time will tell as far as durability is conserned but I am impressed..

Bompa, any updates as far as durability goes? Does it hold in place? Any problems with CZ mount?

I'm looking into getting Docter too (for CZ 97B), any experience is appreciated. Where did you buy it from? How much did you pay?

TIA,

-albertr

albertr I have about 500 rounds through the gun with the Docter sight and have no problems now.. On first try I had a bit of a problem with the mount moving in the dovetail,a bit of shim stock and loctite and everything is great..

I don't know if there is a mount for the 97b but you can check with Arizona Gun Runner as that is where I got mine.. Think EGW is also selling them..

Bompa, thanks for update. Rear sight dovetail in CZ 97B is supposed to be the same size/shape as in 75, AFAIK. The recoil might feel heavier on sight, that could be a concern. Anyway, please keep us updated on your Docter sight, I may consider to get one as well soon,  I'll let you know how it goes.

-albertr