Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lightening

xdrocker

Almost got all the parts in for a new 40 open top end. My question is, do I really NEED to cut up the slide, aside from having it flat topped, to save on weight for a faster cyle time. Slots and holes in slides do look pretty cool but if I'm not going to benefit from them why waste the money. Looking thru the gallery here alot of the open gun slides look pretty solid. This is a semi budget build, but if there is a gain to be had good, if not I not going to waste 100-150 bucks on it. I realize that this question is pretty much personal pref. type thing but I'm thinking from a gun functioning angle, not looks.

Thanks

<_< I shot 40 from 1990 up untill 2002 Auto open & revolver 40

my gun got stolen = that ended up being the best thing for my shooting.

one gun that does it all is ok if you want to be just OK at it

I realy REALY like the 38 super better than the 40 open. <_< people wont make fun of you as offten too :wacko:

But I don't know nothing

Slide lightening didn't do anything that I could really discern with my .40 Open gun, 155 XTP's going downrange at 1150 fps can't really be compensated enough that the faster cycle time will really affect anything...the muzzle is still in flip/recoil when the slide returns to battery either way. Does make the gun look all cool and all that, but also lets dirt into places you'd rather not have it during dusty conditions.

.40 Open along with .357 Sig Open (Swap-Barrel Gun!) does have the advantage of being able to purchase MAJOR power factor ammo from a local gunstore or even Wal-Mart in a pinch, if you set up the gun right. Could be a major factor if you have to fly to major matches and get pinched by the 11 lb ammo in baggage limit.

Edited by gino_aki

It depends on the configuration. If you hang a big steel comp off the end of a bull barrel and intend to run a full weight 5" slide your ammo is going to have to be a lot stronger than it will if you hang a TI comp off that bull barrel and run a 10 ounce slide. The mass you have to move to unlock all that weight needs energy, and that energy comes from the ammunition. Lower the mass and you can lower the energy needed, and spring it a little harder if you want to run really strong ammo. You have choices with the lower mass configuration that you won't with a really heavy combo.

Slide lightening makes the gun feel better in recoil, transition better, balance better, draw better, and run a whole lot wider range of ammunition for me. I wouldn't want to shoot a full weight slide gun, been there and done that and for me a lightened slide is better all the way around. Slide lightening doesn't have to open up the slide where dirt can get in, it is just a matter of how it is done. Most have through holes and cuts because they look better and are simpler to cut.

Slide lightening makes the gun feel better in recoil, transition better, balance better, draw better, and run a whole lot wider range of ammunition for me.

a lightened slide is better all the way around. Slide lightening doesn't have to open up the slide where dirt can get in, it is just a matter of how it is done. Most have through holes and cuts because they look better and are simpler to cut.

+1

I have been experimenting with an open gun with a lightened slide Vs. an UNlightened slide for about 3 weeks and agree to the above. Don't have numbers to back it up, but it "seems" faster in transition and movement, and "Feels" better in recoil. and the dot moves LESS.

Given the parameters of .40 Open, semi budget build I'd spend the bucks on reloading components, better trigger job, mag tuning etc. You can always drill holes in the slide later, but like most of the other guys said, what would benefit you most as far as progression in Open would be to switch calibers.