Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124gr. Laser-cast Lrn

Slowhand

I need some advice or information regarding the 124gr. Laser-Cast LRN bullets. I am relatively new to reloading and have been loading .45 with the xl650 with good results. I am not looking for "best bullet" but I am trying to make a buying decision.

I am ready to start loading 9mm and have an opportunity to buy a large quantity of the 124gr. bullets. Would this be a good all around practice/target bullet? Any advantages to a lighter or heavier 9mm bullet?

Thanks for your input.

While I've never loaded the Laser-Cast bullets (I like moly coated), the 124's would be a fine bullet for range time. Some guns even seem to prefer the 124's over 115's accuracy wise. If you can get them cheap enough, I'd say go for it.

Thanks SLM.

Part of my difficulty comes from the fact that I have shot 9mm so little that I have not developed a feel for bullet weights as they would relate to comfortable practice loads. I also try to develope some low recoil loads for a good friend that shoots with me. He has the use of one arm and the light loads help him a great deal.

Laser Cast bullets are good quality, if somewhat pricey. That bullet weight in general is my favorite for 9x19s. Aim for about 1050 fps and it'll work in anything, and be well within current reloading data.

ive been shooting 124 round nose bullets over 4.0 N320 at 1.125 oal in my Storm Lake Glock 34 barrel

Very clean, accurate and the smoke isnt that bad

makes about 1075 fps in my gun.

Harmon

124 to the 9mm is like 230 in your .45. the standard all around ball ammo weight. It may not be the best weight in an individual 9mm but all 9mm's should shoot it well. If you frequent Midway USA they ocasionally run midnight madness sales, you'll get an email on prices only good over night. I generally bulk order Winchester 124's or 115 Hollow base from them.

Thanks Joe4d. Your comparison of the 124 in 9mm to the 230 in .45 is the kind of information I am looking for since I am considering a large bullet purchase.

I suppose it might be unusual to start loading for a caliber that you actually have limited experience shooting. I shoot a great deal of .45 and now that I am completely hooked on reloading I want to be able to load several calibers. I am even revisiting .40 caliber. :-)

With the increases in factory ammo prices I am considering loading calibers I would not have dreamed of loading a year ago.