Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ehmm ... And Now About The Moovers &/or Runners ....

Stefano

Hi folks !

Sorry, this is my "how-to-do" moment ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In my shooting range moovers &/or runners are something like GOSTS, so I shoot them only sometimes, only during the match :angry::angry::angry:

Can anybody share with me some good tips about this kind of props ?

What's the basic tecnique with a single moover ?

And with a double-one ?

Thanks to you all ! ;)

Hi folks !

Sorry, this is my "how-to-do" moment ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In my shooting range moovers &/or runners are something like GOSTS, so I shoot them only sometimes, only during the match :angry::angry::angry:

Can anybody share with me some good tips about this kind of props ?

What's the basic tecnique with a single moover ?

And with a double-one ?

Thanks to you all ! ;)

hey stefano,

it all depends on what caliber you are shooting, and the distance at which you are shooting the movers. i shoot 38 super, this is a fast bullet and i don't have to lead the targets much at all. the slower the bullet the more lead you need.

lynn

using 180 gr heads on my 40. i dont remember if i lead or not but it all boils down to practice.

once you know what to see(or to look for) you know how to hit it.

practice with it exclusively for about 200 rounds. start at 7 then 10 then 15 meters. if you can hit a's most of the time then your done. if you still have ammo move to 20 m.

good luck

The real, big problem is that I can't do practice with moovers because they aren't in my club's shooting range ...

Due to this I shoot they only at the match, and every time the result is a surprise ... :wub::wub::wub:

My biggest doubt is what it's better to do with a double moover: if I have to lead (and shoot) first the leading target or the next one ...

I suppose so (firts the leading one), because the leading target is also the first that disappear ...

I shoot in Production, in 9x21 caliber, with 155 grs bullets (so, slower bullets ...).

Edited by Stefano

I had the same problem and built a dry fire swinger...after a day on that you won't miss swingers anymore.

It's very difficult to explain how to shoot moving targets, almost impossible.

If you can't or don't want to build a dry fire swinger, get to the match early or stay after to dry or live fire the club's swinger. I've never met a match director who wouldn't let a good helper practice on the props a little.

And props to you for analyzing your opportunities for improvement!

SA

I had the same problem and built a dry fire swinger...after a day on that you won't miss swingers anymore.

It's very difficult to explain how to shoot moving targets, almost impossible.

If you can't or don't want to build a dry fire swinger, get to the match early or stay after to dry or live fire the club's swinger. I've never met a match director who wouldn't let a good helper practice on the props a little.

And props to you for analyzing your opportunities for improvement!

SA

Steve,

I'm absolutely agree with you and I was thinking that you could have an extra-business opportunity selling (in addition to Refinement & Repetitions vol.I and II) also some mini-props for home-practice like swingers and moovers ... :):):)

A friend of my (GM in revolver division ...) has made a series of "scaled-mini- IPSC-targets" that I use every day for my dry-fire practice.

The problem for me is how to build a mini-swinger ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get some wood, a lawn mower wheel and just add stuff til it works.

There were some pics that a search might reveal, or I can take some more...

My design is not very good, as I'm not a very crafty craftsman...

The frame is 2x4s, the boom pivots (pivot, pivot, PIVOT) on the lawn mower wheel and the whole thing is activated by a kickstand that you pull with tactical grade rope.

You MUST use tactical rope to make sure that your skills work in the real world!

SA

Oh, and I'll be taking pre-orders for dry fire swingers that should be back from the carpenter in about a month. :)

sorry coudn't resist...damn this mood I'm in...

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

Get some wood, a lawn mower wheel and just add stuff til it works.

There were some pics that a search might reveal, or I can take some more...

My design is not very good, as I'm not a very crafty craftsman...

The frame is 2x4s, the boom pivots (pivot, pivot, PIVOT) on the lawn mower wheel and the whole thing is activated by a kickstand that you pull with tactical grade rope.

You MUST use tactical rope to make sure that your skills work in the real world!

SA

Oh, and I'll be taking pre-orders for dry fire swingers that should be back from the carpenter in about a month. :)

sorry coudn't resist...damn this mood I'm in...

SA

If you can project (and have builded somewhere ...) an "auto-resetting" version of this mini-swinger, I will be your first italian customer, and I promise to you a LOT of business from Italy ... ;););)

Shooting swinger is hard to do in livefire practice due to the fact that it costs a lot of footwork (anytime you have to walk up & down for resetting it): if somebody find the manner to have something like an electric mechanism with a remote control for activating and resetting the swinger ..... this would be GREAT !

my club built and uses a donated garage door opener track and motor. Mounted to ceiling. Its an indoor range so power isnt a problem. Push remote targets go right to left push it again left to right

My biggest doubt is what it's better to do with a double moover: if I have to lead (and shoot) first the leading target or the next one ...

I suppose so (firts the leading one), because the leading target is also the first that disappear ...

I shoot in Production, in 9x21 caliber, with 155 grs bullets (so, slower bullets ...).

Stef, No expert here, but this works best for me on double movers.

Shoot the trailing mover first then the leading mover. This way you do not stop or slow the movement of the gun between targets. It is more fluid to speed up than slow down.

It is very much the same as shooting a true pair in sporting clays, except you are focused

on the sights and not the target.

Hope this helps. :)