Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock be gone

phenex

What ever you get keep the Glock. Good house gun and you can use it down the road for production. I am partial to the Para's but I'm sure many here would point you another way. The nice thing about any high cap, even if you don't get highcap mags right away, is that you can shoot it in L10 or get mags later and shoot limited.

Phenex,

You need to be more specific if you want help. What do you want to accomplish in your shooting? How much are you willing to spend? Do you have a buddy you want to be in the same class with? I would put some thought into your motivation and goals for shooting and then edit your post if you want some help figuring out this one, because there are too many options out there.

I will probably spend about a 1000 for a new rig. I do have a buddy who shoots with me and he always wins the class he shoots. I really just want to beat my class (d) and maybe kick my buddy's ass later. He shoots a kimber custom classic.

If you want to shoot L10 Kimbers are a very good way to go and for $1000 for your setup I think your best choice. They make a good gun at a good price and you should be able to find a model that fits your budget.

You might want to price out all the gear you will need and make a budget before you get to far along in this. MattBurkett.com has good info and a list of the basics. Good luck and good shooting.

Phenex,

Even if I was only going to shoot Lim10, I'd still take a long, hard look at a widebody 1911 or 2011 (S_I).  The S_I is pretty much the first and last word in pistol ergonomics as far as I'm concerned.  I love my Glock, but my STI fits better, there is no doubt.  What ever you do, choose comfort and indexability first.  I don't care if you end up with a P-38.  If that's what works, shoot it.

E

I agree with Flex, dryfire, and use the 1000 for a trigger job and ammo.  I also agree that the Glock trigger does need improved, but you can get that done.  Sue Nesbitt has a G-17, I think, with a trigger done by JP Enterprise that is wonderfull, extremely short reset and very little overtravel, at about an honest 3 lbs.  Custom Glock Racing does a pretty good trigger job.  You can also do one yourself if you have a dremel and are at all patient.  Cost is going to run from 250-50 including parts and shipping whether you do it yourself or have a gunsmith do it.  The rest of the 750 (assume the expensive route) will by about 7500 practice rounds (assuming you buy the $10/100 walmart).

Been in your shoes - had a G19, spent $1000 for a used STI Edge (L and L10), then had to hunt down pre-bans, a Dillon reloader, race rig, reloading components, etc. Total bill? Over $2500.

Save yourself the trouble I went through. You have $1000 to spend so here is a thought:  The Springfield Armory copy of the ParaOrd in .45 (sometimes called the Twin Pines & advertised on the back of Shot Gun News).  Why? Its about $400 new and the steel is less prone to crack than a Para; later you WILL want to put your own custom parts on it that YOU choose (we are all like that) like adj rear, front (which style? width?) safety (ambi, of course, but which one?) trigger (which trigger? which insert?) grips? magwell? guiderod? Why pay lotsa $$$ for somebody else's idea of what is "right"?  Before deciding on all that, just shoot lots of matches w/ it as is, learn from others and decide over time. Get a few 10 rounders from http://www.cdnninvestments.com and spend the $500 or so left over on practice ammo.  

Sure, the .40 may be better for limited (more rounds in a 140mm mag) but 45 is simple/forgiving to reload and brass lasts forever - besides lots of the top guys WIN w/ .45 in L-10. Alternatively, a used Para will save you some $$$ too and may have parts on it you would want to buy anyway. Nothing wrong w/ a para - especially at 1/2 the cost of my STI.  

Is my STI a better gun? Maybe, that depends. Certainly though, the extra $$$ I spent on it did not leave me as much money for the most critical thing you NEED in order to win: practice. LOTS of practice.