Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading The 38 Super

sinnsyk

Well, since we've got our own thread for the 40, might as well serve the 38 some justice:

Couple of my favorite powder choices I've used over the years:

Vithavuori N-105

Vectan SP2

IMR 7625

I subscribed for years to the slower burning powders, like N-105, SP2 and even tried Accurate #9, Hodgdon 108 etc. Vit N-105 is very clean as all their powders and delivers very similar recoil feel as Vectan SP2. They both work great with hybrid-style 38 super guns. The big difference between those powders and the probably more preferred Vit N-350 is the better gas effect of 105 / SP2. The gun flips considerably less, but you'll pay for it in straight-back recoil. As I'm getting older and feel my body has taken enough beating, I've switched to the very comfortable IMR 7625. It does a great job and is very soft in comparison.

Some of my loading data:

121 Hornady HAP

IMR 7625: 7.2 (- 7.4) grains (about 170pf)

Winchester Small RIFLE primers

Armscor new 38 super rimless (RL) brass

OAL: 1.240"

Same load above with Vit N-105: 9.5 grains

Same load above with Vit 3N38: 8.6 - 8.7 grains

Same load above with Vectan SP2: 9.4 - 9.6 grains

With a Round Nose bullet, I extend the OAL to 1.250"

Note:

With Vectan SP2, I would get 30-50fps higher velocity just by switching from small pistol primers to small rifler primers!

With Starline 38 Supercomp brass, I would use 0.1 - 0.2gr more powder to get same PF.

With Armscor 124gr RN bullets, I'd use about same powder charge. For some reason, the 121HAP doesn't need more powder, though its a slightly lighter bullet.

Bullets

Round Nose bullets are by far the safer choice for feeding. The 121 HAP is amazingly accurate and I use this if I need 30 - 50yd accuracy. One of the most accurate 50yd groups I've shot, less than 2" with a new factory setup Gold Team 38 super.

Brass

Armscor brass is less expensive than Starline. Armscor needs slightly less powder charge. I only use new cases in competition and all loading data reflects using new cases.

Primers

Winchester never seem to fail and I've used them exclusively for over 12 years. Small Rifle primers are a little harder to set off, and I use a custom-made long firing pin. I probably wouldn't try a 13lb Wolff hammer spring w/ rifle primers, but stick with the factory hammer. Unless you're trying to get the extra 30-50 fps w/ SP2 or N105, I would shoot small pistol primers

Powder

Lots of choices here. My current favorite: IMR 7625.

• 1 year later...

I just started developing a load for my 38 Super Gold team. Here are the loads that have failed to make major and appear to be at the edge of too much pressure.

124 gr Zero and 8.3 gr of True Blue - StarLine brass - PF 158. (nice soft and flat).

124 gr Zero and 8.8 gr of HS 6 - fps varies by 100 fps top at 1346 or 166 pf. (snappy and a little hard to control). More muzzle flip than my limited gun.

124 gr Zero IMS4756 @ 9.0 gr - shootble but did not crono, recoil and muzzle flip in between the two above.

Still working on finding the best load for my style of shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

.355. You can shoot either .355 or .356 but for my .02 .355 is very accurate and may cause less barrel wear.

Edited to add that as I understand it you should not attempt to run .357s through a 38 Super. Someone with more smarts than me can comment on that issue.

Edited by Neomet

.355. You can shoot either .355 or .356 but for my .02 .355 is very accurate and may cause less barrel wear.

Edited to add that as I understand it you should not attempt to run .357s through a 38 Super. Someone with more smarts than me can comment on that issue.

It seems to me that there are a lot more choices for 0.355 than 0.356. For example, Montana Gold makes 11 bullets in 0.355 from 95gr to 147gr. They make one in 0.356 (130gr).

Also, a note on powder...

I started with Henning's suggestion of 7625. My SDB was spilling the powder as it indexed, so I switched to Longshot. I recently switched to a Lee LNL, that indexes much more gently. After running out of Longshot, I grabbed the leftover 3/4 of a pound of 7625. Boy, I really like it. It does feel better than Longshot at the same power factor, and isn't nearly as loud. Now, I just wish I could buy it locally. BiMart quit carrying it, and I don't think they have it at Sportsman's Warehouse.

STI ???

What's that???

You should be looking in the general reloading forum, under 9mm, not the EAA/Tanfoglio forum. Although we're willing to help, I would believe that the info above is for the Tanfoglio Gold Team with V-8 popple holes and factory compensator. YMMV with another gun.

Who built your gun? Start by asking them!

STI ???

What's that???

You should be looking in the general reloading forum, under 9mm, not the EAA/Tanfoglio forum. Although we're willing to help, I would believe that the info above is for the Tanfoglio Gold Team with V-8 popple holes and factory compensator. YMMV with another gun.

Who built your gun? Start by asking them!

I have shot my Tangfo load in a STI i had and I didnt like it. didnt feel right. but it didnt have the same popple system.. Jeff is right. wrong section to ask about STI's :)

• 4 weeks later...

My best Super load is the West Coast / Acura 125 gr plated FP .357 bullet and 8.6 gr of Blue Dot, Starline +P brass and CCI 550 primers.

The load chronos at 1180 fps and is very accurate in my full-size Witness.

Edited by Japle

• 6 months later...

im starting to reload for the 38 super, (sti grandmaster) from Dawson precision.

i have imr 7625 powder 121 (355) buletsd from montana gold, and wondering what a max load would be for this ? i find similar loads, but not identical components.

Bill