Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G22

Tattoo

Hey All,

My G22 shoots high high ( about 4-5" at 15yrds ) and I want to replace the sights

anyway. Any recommendations for good replacement sights?

I shot an indoor IDPA match a couple of months ago and night sights would be cool, but

Does that work for matches too? Or should I just go with good match sights?

THanks,

T

I put a set of Tru-Glo TFO's on my G22. Fiber optic, plus the tritium(sp?) night sight in one. They are low profile, really glow in the daylight and glow in low light. Since the fiber optics are bigger they probably aren't as accurate at long range as a set of Dawson's, and they aren't adjustable. I tried a set of Dawson's on my G22 and it shot high, so I went back to the TFO's. Plus it is a carry gun when I feel the need to.

On my G24 I have the Dawson's and really like them, front is red and the back is green. The red front really stands out with the green dots on either side.

Others will just go with plain black sights and swear by them.

It all comes down to practice, but having accurate equipment helps ease the mind.

I really like the Ameriglo Target Adjustable plain black sights, WAY WAY better for match use than night sights. Typical night sights have a really wide front blade that makes precision all but impossible beyond about 15 yards. For an IDPA gun that isn't as big of a deal, but USPSA where you might have a 25-35 yard shot it turns into a 'poke and hope' affair. Night sights need near total darkness to help much, they just aren't bright enough in an indoor range setting. I have a G22 with super bright Meprolight sights on it and they aren't bright enough to see at a terribly lit local indoor range.

My G22 shoots high high ( about 4-5" at 15yrds )

Wow...that seems like a lot. Stock gun ?

Yeah, Its a stock gun. My reloads to .40 minor. My G23 dead nuts on

with the same load?? :wacko: Think I tried some WWB too.

I went out to @25yrds at practice the other day and had to aim at upper chest

on a standard tgt to get head shots?

I think the DP sights look nice, what about the Sevigny sights? Also will I need

a taller front for the shooting high deal or try what comes standard first?

How about the 2 dot (tritium) Sevigny "match" sights?

Or just stay with match on the G22 and maybe night sights on the G23 :D

t

Edited by Tattoo

I would get the Dawson Precision FO Front sight and their target rear sight. They are very good. www.dawsonprecision.com

good luck

Mike

+1 - excellent package. :)

I run adjustables on match guns, then I will never be forced into one load or another and the bullet will impact where I want it instead of somewhere else.

Good advice for sure!

Tattoo,

I don't here of stock G22's doing that much. In fact, your's might be the first I've heard of.

I put a KKM barrel in one of mine (G35) and got a little bit of that. It was a barrel fitting issue though. It wasn't nearly as far off as what you are seeing.

Are there any markings on your rear sight (extra little dashes) ?

[quote name='Flexmoney' date='Apr 3 2007, 07:00 AM' post='535620'

Are there any markings on your rear sight (extra little dashes) ?

Flex,

I will have to check on the marks on the rear sight. I am out of town working.

They do make different rears right? Or is it only fronts?

T

I'd have to look that up, but I do recall different height rear sights.

Maybe somebody here knows the details ... ?

Bingo. http://www.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm

Flex,

Thanks man for the info. I will see what my sights are on mine. I would assume

they are standard sized. Don't they test fire Glocks before they ship them?

You don't think anything is wrong with it ( other than shooting high- LOL ) ??

Anyway, I need to make a new sight choice anyway and that hopefully

will fix this problem. Waht do you use for sights?

T

I run a Dawson PI on the back and a .285 high .90 wide front from CGR, plain black on my 34 and 35. Seems to work o.k. I don't have any fibers on the rear sight either. I just have trouble keeping them blacked out, but that Birchwood Casey black pen is pretty convienient.

Waht do you use for sights?

T

The Warren/Sevigny sights are the best I've seen.

I think I want the Warren/Sevigny competition ones w/ the FO front for $75

The top ones on th CGR page. But what about this shooting high thing?

Not being adjustable limited my options, and they don't list differnt front heights?

I like the DP adjustable, but they look huge and sharp edged. I was taught

to tap and rack over the top of the sight and it looks like you could cut yourself

on th DP rear that way. Wahtta ya think?

T

I don't like the serration on the Dawson rear sights much. Others don't complain. The Warren/Sevigny are better in my opinion (it's a little thing).

I've put on a few of the Dawson adjustables. I've never noticed them to be overly sharp. A guys could always touch the edges with a file.

Here is the forumula for adjusting sight height:

Adjusting sight height

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks IV;

To determine the correct sight height to correct an elevation problem, multiply the sight radius, in decimals by the elevation error and then divide the results by the distance to the target, in inches.

Sight radius 5 3/4" = 5.75

Shooting 5 inches low

Distance to target 25 feet or 300 inches

(5.75*5)/300 = .095833333.................3

The front sight would have to be lowered .096 or the rear sight raised that amount (or a combination there of) to raise the point of impact.

------------------------------------------

If you have some calibers, then you could take some measurements to see where you are at. Then spec out the replacements you are after.

Flex,

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I am gong to shoot that thing

today to get the exact amount its off at 25yrds. Then I think I'm going to try the

waren/sevigny sights from Custom Glock racing. If I'm not happy I'll try out

The DP rear. Those seem to be the most popular. Thanks.

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

T

Ok,

I took my G22 out to a practice tonight and I shot it and my buddy shot it.

I will revise my initial call on how far off the sights are and say 21/2"- to 3"

at 25yrds with my .40 minor loads. Not more than 1`1/2" off max at 15yrds. That was just freestyle like I would shoot at a match. And it does have the Glock sights with the one dash line on the rear of the sight. So not as bad as I initially thought. I will order my new sights and hope that they shoot to to POA. Thanks for all the advise from everyone.

T