Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swenson Safety Or Thumb Shield?

baa

I have a problem with my left thumb (lefty shooter) contacting the slide when shooting, which causes gun malfunctions. I have worked very hard to correct this issue by keeping my thumb away from the slide and this has reduced the malfunctions but I have big hands with long thumbs. I think when I am tense the thumb gravitates back to the position causing the problem. So, while I will strive to work this kink out of my grip, I figure that its about time to just put a piece of metal between my thumb and the gun and further reduce the chance of causing a malfunction.

So, to the question- What is the better solution to putting a shield between the thumb and the slide? One of those Swenson safeties or by putting on of those frame mounted shields on the pistol? Has anyone experimented with both? I plan to mount some sort of device on my 1911, my Para P-16, and my SVI Infinity. Does the type of gun change the answer to the question above?

Thanks!

Edited by baa

Bump, mainly because I'm experiencing the same problem right now and am trying to decide on the same thing. I'm really thinking the Swenson's, but I know someone said 'new' stuff is gonna hit the market really soon due to patent expiration....just not sure if I can wait.

-Mike

I personally think Swensons are junk. The frame shields are what I use because of all the prep time you have to devote to swensons. Plus I have, as others have had swensons crack and fail only to have to go thru the whole process again. Once you go to the frame shield, you can use higher quality safeties such as SVI. Then your safeties fit up nice and last a lot longer

I personally think Swensons are junk. The frame shields are what I use because of all the prep time you have to devote to swensons. Plus I have, as others have had swensons crack and fail only to have to go thru the whole process again. Once you go to the frame shield, you can use higher quality safeties such as SVI. Then your safeties fit up nice and last a lot longer

A big +1

Swensons are junk. Either wait for SVI to release a barstock version, or Brazos thumbshields installed. Money spent on Swensons is time and money thrown down the crapper IMO.

Swensons are junk but I still use them. Fits my hand better, and feels better than any other option. And they look pretty good after you finish them up.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were "priced" more appropiately. My biggest peeve is the final cost which amounts to "extortion" for the nice feature. Perhaps if the blood sucking effect wasn't so blatant they would be less belittled and more accepted as "unfinished" as they come.

My biggest peeve is the final cost which amounts to "extortion" for the nice feature.

Ain't that the truth... Hopefully, we'll see some new versions from other companies on the market soon...

My gunsmith took a high quality safety and (I don't know the correct name in English) "welded" a shield on the left side safety for me. It doesn't show after it was nitrated.

Edited by randy01