Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insurance Companies

lcs

I have three cars all covered by the same insurance company for about 15 years now.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition-only 89K. Every option, even heated seats. The jeep is in primo condition. On the way to work the engine takes a sh_t. Local mechanic says "motor died, cheaper to put a used one in". Ok Number One make it so.

The car is on his lot and some dirt bag punches the lock and rips off all my inside door panels, one complete headlight assembly, dashboard damage and wires cut and hanging everywhere.

Police report done. Advise insurance company as I have full coverage. Insurance adjuster suppose to contact me--never does. I call and he has totalled the vehicle, but wait, the computer only says $500 damage-this can not be right. Insurance company has adjuster call me. Adjuster says never seen one like this in 15 years-Hey guess what me either!

Adjuster says-Have to forward this to investigator. Investigator calls me and wants a recorded statement. Ok, no big deal. Investigator questions-all directed at me regarding my financial status and on and on. I get the drift--I must be the dirtbag!!!. I ripped off my own door panels cos I was behind on payments? NOT!!!!!

I get ripped off after being a loyal customer for 15 years and have had one claim. What is really bad she insults my intelligence by asking me if I have ever claimed another vandalism claim--Lady, ALL insurance companies are linked. You make a claim and it is forever recorded in 20,000 computers just for insurance for the insurance companies.

Then she tells me it will be 30 days for a decision. WTF! What decision? I was ripped off and I have insurance-Fix it!

Is it just me, am PO'd for nothing?

yes it is ok to feel angry at the insult.

best way to handle it...

ignore it.

the car is damaged. it is in that shop for repairs.

the insurance co, can get the mechanic's insurance for vandalism costs, maybe...

for you, you want the car repaired.

That is why you pay the premiums for many years.

they took money for many years.

Their part bargain is that some times they will pay.

They may declare the car totaled,

just make sure they pay at least the amount you still owe. (if anything)

or at least close to the value of the car, which ever is higher.

Once they actually baulk, then threaten lawyer....

right now they are trying to scare you off the claim.

they think it 'good business'.

miranda

They can declare it totaled if the cost to repair is worth more than the value of the vehicle. In your policy it probably states this somewhere in tiny print. What the true value of the car is is up for debate. Find out from Kelly Blue Book online (kbb.com) what the value of your car is worth if you were to buy it today from a private party. What the insurance will likely offer you is dealer wholesale. If they decide the car is to be totaled, they won't pay fair value, and the sum of money isn't over the limit, threaten them with small claims court. BTW, if the check states that deposit of the check is acceptance of the settlement, line through that bit before cashing and write that it isn't an acceptance.

I'd ask who her supervisor is and make a letter of complaint. If you've been a good long term customer, always current on payments, then the only reason they have to treat you like that is because they don't want your business anymore.

I suspect that the real issue with value for the truck is the dead engine --- that'll radically affect value. The insurance company is going to attempt to use that to total the truck --- because that would likely be cheaper than coughing up way more money to replace the dash, door panels, fix wiring, etc.

When some lowlife turdball punched out the rear window in Carol's BMW a few years ago, and destroyed the dashboard getting the busted radio out, the total tab for repairs, rental car, and security improvements came to about $5000......

I work in Healthcare, so no one dislikes insurance companies as much as we do. They will take 3 to 4 months to pay us for emergency service we rendered when someone was dying, deny payment for preventive medicine and then buy ads on TV telling everyone they are keeping the cost of healthcare down.

Now, on to car insurance my son did not start driving or get his license for a year after he turned 16. When he did and we put him on our insurance they retro billed us. He was not driving and had not had any wrecks. We had to pay for insurance for something that you could not insure.

We all joke about lawyers, but I think insurance companies are worse!!!!

If the insurance company keeps giving you a hard time simply tell them "we can settle this out of court a lot cheaper than if settle it in court, which way do you want to go" Right and wrong doesn't matter to them, but keeping cost down is everything. They know they will not get a sympathic judge or jury.

Edited by ap3

+1

I learned an interesting lesson when I made the horrible mistake of filing a claim for about $9k of storm damage on my house....How could I have been so stupid?

Even so -- I'm fine with free market principals, but when the industry continues to make record profits (and their business is, after all, investing YOUR premiums), year after year after year -- in SPITE of Katrina....Don't then lobby Congress to create a Federal reinsurance fund, or otherwise try to pass off future claims to taxpayers.

If this starts down the wrong road don't waste any time putting in a complaint with the Ohio Insurance Department. You can do it online. Insurance companies hate to answer these things even if they don't give in. There are fair claims practices and long delays are one of the main no-no's.

If this doesn't work you may have to get a lawyer or go to small claims court - although there aren't many of these in Ohio.

Most insurers would deny your claim anyway as it was in the shop for repairs-that is a standard part of any car policy.

Was your car in a real auto shop or a "part timer's" shop? Most legit auto repair shops put cars in a storage yard at night for this reason.

Good luck.

Ouch--that would really make make my day (Deny the claim). It is a gray area from the repair shop perspective. The car was parked on a used car lot. I have bought several used cars from them and they also have a garage. No, I did not buy this car from them.

As far as deny the claim--I don't think the insurance company will as the agent did not indicate anything along those lines when I submitted the claim.

This is just a big frustration and waste of my time. Now they tell me they have 30 days to investigate.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Mar 30 2007, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this starts down the wrong road don't waste any time putting in a complaint with the Ohio Insurance Department. You can do it online. Insurance companies hate to answer these things even if they don't give in. There are fair claims practices and long delays are one of the main no-no's.

If this doesn't work you may have to get a lawyer or go to small claims court - although there aren't many of these in Ohio.

Excellent ideas. Having tangled with big insurance all the way into the courtroom, this course of action should get their attention. Just be prepared to shop for a new insurance company.

You need to find a copy of your policy now. Agents sell policies, but are unaware of most of the minutiae and details, fyi.

You were questioned by an "investigator" for this reason, I guarantee it. Garage claims are highly scrutinized because of all the "chop shop" issues and potential for fraud while a car is out of your care and custody.

My best guess is they will deny your claim, thats why the 30 day notice.

If that happens you need to file an immediate small claims action action against the shop. The car was in their "care and custody" when this happened.

Once again, your agent is of little help. He just sells policies (contracts) and doesn't interpret them or enforce them.

This isn't a case of "evil insurance company", rather its a case of negligent car repair shop in my opinion...

We investigate automotive fraud for insurance companies. There is a lot of fraud and it is commited by all sorts of people. Some of our reports are used by SIU investigators to deny claims when we find facts pointing toward fraud (the car was moving while allegedly hit while parked, intentionally enhanced damage, staged auto theft, etc). However, one of the things I like about my job is that a lot of our investigations confirm statements and clear the insured of any wrong doing which leads to the claim getting paid quickly as it should. Hopefully that will happen.