Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standing Reloads Time

rgkeller

Open pistol.

I've seen countless sub one second reloads, some way sub, in drill videos etc.

I cannot get below a 1.4 seonds on an El Prez (in a 5.2 range) for the life of me. Feels fast to me. When it feels really really fast, I get the occasional 1.3.

Is the reload time portion out of whack?

Is the sub one second reload just very had to do?

Thanks

Do 10,000 perfectly executed reloads a week and you will have a sub-second reload before you know it.

When Jake first told me this 16 months ago, I thought "What the hell?!?"

16 months later, the man was 100% right. Through refinement and repetition (hmmm...sounds like a killer book I know of )(Link to the greatest training book ever!) smoothness will come.

Smooth is fast.

Set up on target and react to a beep?

With a par time?

Do 10,000 perfectly executed reloads a week and you will have a sub-second reload before you know it.

When Jake first told me this 16 months ago, I thought "What the hell?!?"

16 months later, the man was 100% right. Through refinement and repetition (hmmm...sounds like a killer book I know of )(Link to the greatest training book ever!) smoothness will come.

Smooth is fast.

I do the Anderson book drills. Very helpful. Everything has improved drastically but the reload speed. But I seldom fling a mag across the range anymore.

You have a few options here.

1. Work a draw into the drill with the timer. So you do Draw 1, reload 1. Will give you a killer draw too.

2. Gun on target, reload, gun back on target. No timer. Alternate pulling the trigger before the reload and after the reload to ensure you have the proper follow through. You'll get more reps in this way and can really focus on engraining the proper habits.

I wouldn't train loads reacting to the beep...you will never see that happen in a match.

The biggest time wasters in the reload are two things. The speed your hand gets to the new mag, and the speed the old mag is ejected. Focus on completing those tasks at the earliest possible instant.

Set up on target and react to a beep?

With a par time?

I start on one target and "shoot" two A's. The moment I have my second hit, I preform the reload and bring the gun onto the A zone of the next target.

Pretty much Option 2 on Jake's last post. I used to use par times, and just ended up beating the sh!t out of my magwell with sloppy loads. Now when I do my daily routine, when I come to the Burkett Reload page I do:

10 at Tai-Chi speed

10 at 50%

40 at 80%

30 on the move

10 at 50%

10 at Tai-Chi again.

Every time, I see inside my magwell. When you burn the right technique in now, you will be able to rely on your subconscious skills come match day.

Don't forget gettin good hits on the target. If you don't practice aiming, fast doesn't matter.

+1. Don't rush that last shot before the reload.

I also forgot to add that I use dummy .40 rounds in my dryfire mags when I practice. When I do reload drills, there is a mag in my gun when I start, which is falls neatly on the bed. When I shoot on the move though, I do not start with a mag. This allows me to get more reps in a shorter amount of time.

I can go as low as .8 in dry fire without much effort, but on match day I will be in the 1.2ish range. I can hit 8 or 9 out of 10 at a .8 pace, but one or two will go flying and end up being a 3 second reload. A solid and reliable 1.2 is far better. There are a lot of things that will help more than taking 2 tenths off of my reload, so I don't worry about it too much. I still fling a mag in a match once in a while at the slower speed but far less than I would if I was really trying to smoke a reload.

DO push the speed once in a while both dryfire and live fire, find out where it falls apart so you know what to work on and why but on match day back it down to a safe speed you can count on 97+ out of 100 times.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by HSMITH

Another question on this subject.

The two mag pouches on the front of my belt from which I do almost all of my open reloads have the opening where the index finger goes down on the mag body away from my body. IOW, the bullets are pointing away from my body.

This puts the withdrawn mag right in line with the magwell.

I have seen other shooters with the open space on top and the bullets pointed up.

I am now thinking that perhaps the "on top" opening might be better because the left hand can go straight down to the grasping position.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

Another question on this subject.

The two mag pouches on the front of my belt from which I do almost all of my open reloads have the opening where the index finger goes down on the mag body away from my body. IOW, the bullets are pointing away from my body.

This puts the withdrawn mag right in line with the magwell.

I have seen other shooters with the open space on top and the bullets pointed up.

I am now thinking that perhaps the "on top" opening might be better because the left hand can go straight down to the grasping position.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

Are you able to post a pic? I'm racking my brain trying to picture what you are stating.

Using Single Stack gear, I have been doing:

Draw 1, reload 1 to a par time of 2.50 and working it down to a par time of 2.30 as the practice session evolves.

I have hit 1.15's in training sessions with Dirtypool40 as a witness :D

I have seen him, with MY single stack equipment hit a .82 in practice, and let me tell you, that is insanely fast

Any reload for me under 1.25 with the clock running is good.

On top, without a doubt. Also, don't be afraid to angle the mag a little more steeply to make sure the heel of your palm strikes the basepad first. You can click on my name and see a picture of me to see how far angled my mags are.

Also...DO push the speed in dry fire. The only way your body adapts is by doing things at the edge of it's capability. You can always slow it down a hair in match time (read...turn up your vision).

Also...DO push the speed in dry fire. The only way your body adapts is by doing things at the edge of it's capability. You can always slow it down a hair in match time (read...turn up your vision).

There's my problem - slow in dry fire, slower live fire, and slowest in match conditions :D

I really liked Burkett reloads for a while, until I found that I had managed to program in the pause in all my reloads. Now I do complete reloads only.

Here is a video of my little "speed reload" tutorial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...eload&hl=en

This was from El Prez at the Ohio match in 2005, IIRC.

It is in Production division. The run was 100% for USPSA classification. The reload itself was probably in the 1.20-1.25s range. Nothing fancy, just solid. Alpha hit to Alpha hit at 10y.

You were asking about which way the bullets point. If you notice, my finger (hand that is inserting the mag) is pointing the mag right into the magwell. And, my finger tip is touching (or nearly so) the tip of the bullet. (if that helps?)