Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hands relaxed at sides

shred

Dryfiring yesterday I noticed that when I was going into "hands-at-sides" for a draw, I was relaxing everything-- hands, arms and shoulders practically into full-ape-mode.

Tried leaving my shoulders up-- sure feels better that way.  I don't know if it's any faster, but less movement usually is a good thing.

Over the years, for articles, I've had numerous photos taken of myself drawing from the holster. I've noticed, as time's gone by, the photos are getting progressively more boring. The early stuff is dynamic. The head cranes forward, the torso leans, the legs swivel, the facial expression denotes grim determination. It's a cool photo because there's a lot happening there. These days it's really boring. Just a guy standing there relaxed, and the only thing moving is his arms. Of course, I'm about twice as fast, but the photo doesn't show that....

Yeah.. what triggered my shoulder-self-exam was some video footage of the Steel Challenge one of my friends shot this year-- They had a decent side view of several shooters including Jerry Miculek.  It was immediately obvious that only his arms move on the draw, as compared to everybody elses' flapping about.

I knew my shoulders didn't move much.. but sure enough, when I started drawing while looking sorta-sideways in a mirror they were moving.  I'm still not sure I can get every last millimeter of movement out without going to a full-appendix draw though..

• 3 months later...