Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freeing Up Bench Space

I've got a 650 with quick change kits for major .40, minor .40, and .45 auto (rarely used). The case feeder has a large plate that works for all of them.

I also have a SDB sitting on the bench that's basically unused (less than 2K rounds) set up for .38 Super, with conversions for .38/.357 and .44 special/mag. I don't reload .44 anymore, and only load .38 Super or .38/.357 very rarely. The powder measure is slightly discolored, but the rest is spotless.

My thought is that I could sell the SDB and 3 changeover kits for $280 (includes shipping) and buy changeovers for the 2 calibers I'll eventually load. This would result in more bench space and I'd basically break even or make enough to buy lunch off the deal. Plus it would be a lot easier to load on the 650 compared to the SDB.

2 caliber changeovers = 139.90

2 toolhead/powder die kits = 59.78

small casefeed plate = 36.95

shipping = 9.99

Total = 246.62

I have no pressing need to do anything at this time, but it seems like a good idea that wouldn't end up costing me anything. I have no need for quick-change kits since the rarely used powder measure from my .45 auto quick-change is available and I haven't loaded .45 on the 650 yet anyway ( I load tons of .40).

Am I missing anything that would end up with me loosing money on the deal? Does $20 - $25 shipping for the SDB sound about right? I checked e-bay, but the only shipping figures I could find were a total rip-off, and I'm not wanting to rip-off fellow forum members.

Seems like a win/win situation. A forum member gets to save money on the SDB (depends on calibers needed), I get to free up space and maybe eat a free lunch, and Brian gets a little business.

Any thoughts?

Does $20 - $25 shipping for the SDB sound about right? I checked e-bay, but the only shipping figures I could find were a total rip-off, and I'm not wanting to rip-off fellow forum members.

Your best bet is to use the rate calculators at UPS.com or USPS.com once you have the dimensions for the box and the weight. At $20-25 you could lose money --- depending on where in the U.S. it needed to go.....

Thanks, that's a good idea.

For the purposes of this thread, I'll just go with wanting $260 + shipping.

I also discovered I have another .38 Super SDB changeover from another press I bought. a person would think I'd have actually loaded some .38 Super on this thing...

My other thought is keep the SDB and not worry about it. I don't load these calibers much at all, and I could just store the press until needed or clamp it in an out-of-the-way location on the bench.

I'm trying to straighten out the gun room and keep focusing on that unused SDB, wanting to improve the situation somehow.

So far my main "accomplishment" has been to move 20K rounds of rarely used .45 ammo from one side of the room to the other <_<

Sell it and buy a 550, then you will always have a press to use. The SDB sucks for a spare press simply because you can't use dies from another press in it. I have had very few problems with my Dillon presses but I wouldn't want to be without a second press to use.

I'm not looking to spend more money for something else (and even bigger) I would rarely use, otherwise a 550 that would double as a spare would be a great idea. Knowing me, I'd probably end up getting another 650 if I was thinking of a spare press.

I keep at least 5000 rounds for every caliber I shoot (usually more like 8K - 20K), so my 650 would have to explode for me to worry about running out of ammo before it could be repaired. The spare parts kit should take care of anything else.

I've got a Lyman turret press, a RCBS single stage, a Lee auto-index turret press, and a horrid stinking POS Lee Pro 1000 that I could use in an emergency. I shudder at the thought of using any of them, and am not too thrilled about the thought of loading anything again on the SDB (my right hand forgot how to do more than operate the handle). That's why I'm thinking of getting the changeovers for my 650, with the SDB funding the project.

I was thinking .38 Super isn't an ideal caliber for a SDB since most folks shooting that would be after higher output, but someone should have a good use for it in .38/.357 or .44 Spl/Mag. .38 Super has evolved into something I only use for 157 PF loads for IDPA or outlaw matches, and currently both of those activities are unattractive to me.

If I ever get started shooting steel, then the .38 Super changeover for the 650 would get used a lot. That will eventually happen, as my hip and knee have me limping through USPSA matches.

It sounds like you thought it through. Seems to make good sense to me.

What about these guys:

...a Lyman turret press, a RCBS single stage, a Lee auto-index turret press, and a horrid stinking POS Lee Pro 1000 that I could use in an emergency. I shudder at the thought of using any of them...

Somebody out there wants those too. It doesn't sound like you do ?

Thanks Flex. I was too wordy in my other posts, probably trying to avoid painting the family room for a little while longer ;)

I would almost feel quilty about selling that Pro 1000 to anyone. I really hate that press :angry: The Lyman turret and RCBS single stage tend to get used for my rifle ammo, just not used very often. They aren't even mounted on the bench. The Lee auto-index press is good for what it does, as long as I prime off the press. Of course I haven't used it since the first SDB made it obsolete.

I may offer up both Lee presses, along with tons of powder measures and tool heads, and all the goofy bullet and case feeder stuff for the Pro Crapola press as a single lot.

I like to shoot my 686 at the plate rack to make sure my trigger control is still good. It's hard to fool yourself shooting a DA wheelgun. Being able to load them on the 650 means I'd likely shoot the gun a lot more.

I once had folks at an outlaw match dream up a revolver-only match one month in an attempt to break my stranglehold on first place each month (medium fish in a tiny pond). I fired 3800 rounds in 2 days prior to the match and their plan failed miserably. Janice expressed interest in the 686 and I loaded the empties with puffy loads (98 FP) for her to play with. Plans changed and I'm stuck with puffy ammo. It would be nice to shoot all that stuff and load it back to at least minor PF. With the 650 that would be an easy project.

Maybe next week I'll post the SDB and Lee stuff for sale.

Thanks

Well, I can only agree with Flex that you have thought it through and your solution makes sense to your 'problem'. From my point of view, not having much more ammo on the shelf than I will shoot in the next two or three weeks, a spare press makes a lot more sense. In your situation I think I would do as you intend to do.

Hello: I would keep the 650 and sell all the rest. Then buy another 650 for your rifle stuff. Or buy a 550 to do that. Someone will buy the SDB for sure since they are great little presses. I have one and love it. The other presses check e-bay and see what they go for. Shipping should be about $35 at most for the SDB. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Yeah...I figured you'd feel guilty about selling some of that. But, if you keep it until you die...somebody else is going to have to sell it. :) :)

And, you really just never know what somebody else is looking for. Ebay it...somebody just may be wanting one for a collectors item or some such thing.

Those powder puff loads...

We have this old guy that shoots with us...heaven help him if we ever would have used a chrono. He is mister 2 Alpha with his revolver. But, sometimes he would center punch some poppers...they would just kinda wiggle and laugh at his loads.

We might have guilted him into putting a little juice in them, but not before he shot a match with us with his full wad-cutter loads. He went from 2 Alpha to 4 Alpha...every one of those wad-cutters was splitting in half before it got to the target. Funny stuff.

Flex, i'm pretty sure i was at that match.. or maybe it happened more than once.. that's the one way to make a revolver competitive with an auto :)

I think your idea of selling the SDB is golden. I would probabally do the same... or maybe not. I just hate going between large and small primer stuff.. but if you don't reload a ton of the other and the switch would be pretty rare Go for for it. My bench is a bit cluttered.. but orderly it has a 1050, 550, and SDB i have some duplicate stuff. but it all has (a sort of) place. along with a rock chucker and some other little trinkets. also think about if you'll ever be reloading with more than one person around sometimes it's fun to have buddies load next to you while you both chat about guns.