Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back In The Saddle Again

ErikW

This week I got my first street bike in about 12 years, when I stupidly got rid of my CBR600F2.

At first I would barely lean it over (looking for a dirt berm to rail against) but I'm getting better. In fact, I leaned it over on to my foot.

It's really weird being back on a road bike. All of a sudden, guys are giving me the "mode of transportation envy" look again. The cops are keeping an eye on me, no doubt thinking up ways to cite me. The Harley riders try to show me how much better their bikes are by making a lot of noise. Another Kawasaki rider pulled up next to me at a light and accelerated away hard, trying to show me how much better his bike was.

It just feels good to be on a bike instead of in a cage.

2003 EX250: 28 hp, 70 mpg, 14,000 redline, top speed 100-105

The worst part about it is its color, yellow. :(

No wait, the worst part about it is its skinny, non-adjustable forks, with damper rods, not cartridges, and springs made for 90-pound girls. No wait, the worst part about it is its non-adjustable shock, made for 90-pound girls. No wait, the worst part about it is its skinny, 16" wheels, which limits tire selection greatly.

It's just damned fun with only 28 horsepower at a 13,000 rpm power peak. Hold it wide open and slam through the gears and you might not even be at citing speed, let alone arresting speed. I don't imagine I'm in any danger of Exhibition of Speed wheelies or powerslides. Er, but I'll have to watch out for the stoppies.

I'm actually planning to do some track days on it. Somebody needs to put those R1s and 999s in their place.

28 HP??? I think the twins big wheel puts out close to 30 depending on what they ate for lunch. Does it have a flower covered basket on the front too? When we were kids we used to clip baseball cards to the spokes for some sound might help you at the stop lights!

There's nothing wrong with yellow.

Here's my fully dressed Honda Magna. Many can't believe that it's a 750 when they watch this super senior disappear from sight.

But with 4 cylinders, 4 carbs. and 4 exhaust pipes it puts out 80 honest hp. (more than double what many twins generate)

The only Harley that can beat it is the V-Rod... but I only get 45 - 55 mpg on the highway.

Make sure your drivers licence has the organ donor part filled out correctly

Merlin, the best organ harvesting to be had is in states without helmet laws ;-)

Erik, ride it like it's got a light switch instead of a throttle and don't ever let the revs drop in the twisties ;-)

A 250 can womp a lot of folks on bigger bikes if you ride it right to the edge of it's envelope and then a tad more ;-)

I'll race ya

OK, bring cash. That is, if that whale hasn't returned to the ocean after beaching itself.

28 HP??? ... Does it have a flower covered basket on the front too?

Actually it might be closer to 26 at the rear wheel, especially at this altitude. A flower covered basket on the front would be cool, but block the headlight and increase drag, slowing the bike down to Harley speed.