Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gerogia Arms 55gr Fmj Canned Heat

jkushner1

I was emailing with the Zman about my LR 300 and how much I love the gun, The LR didnt like the CMC drop in match trigger so I went back to OFM, now its fine. 6lbs, but no creep, no grit, just crisp - so I am shooting it this season. The rifle is built like a tank and the FAL style gas trap design leaves that receiver nice and clean. So I tell Alan that I have been shooting some Black Hills, he says he loves the Georgia Arms 55 grain, flies at 3150 fps with a BC of .240+/-. The canned heat product comes in military style steel ammo boxes, so I bought 1,000 for $240.00. Reports to come.

TY

Jkushner1

I was emailing with the Zman about my LR 300 and how much I love the gun, The LR didnt like the CMC drop in match trigger so I went back to OFM, now its fine. 6lbs, but no creep, no grit, just crisp - so I am shooting it this season. The rifle is built like a tank and the FAL style gas trap design leaves that receiver nice and clean. So I tell Alan that I have been shooting some Black Hills, he says he loves the Georgia Arms 55 grain, flies at 3150 fps with a BC of .240+/-. The canned heat product comes in military style steel ammo boxes, so I bought 1,000 for $240.00. Reports to come.

TY

Jkushner1

There are a couple guys at M4carbine.net that have had canned heat go kaboom in their rifles. Be safe.

Edited by rubberneck

There are a couple guys at M4carbine.net that have had canned heat go kaboom in their rifles. Be safe.

I've heard the same thing about kabooms about their Canned Heat for .308 over on Sniper's Hide, and other places. :ph34r:

Having said that, I've shot many thousands of rounds of 9mm with no problem.

read on ar15.com that the QC has been spotty for the last year or so. Lots of old time use with few problems, not so much lately.

I don't shoot it, but if I did I'd certainly do a bit of research on the current experiences.

I'm a proponent of BH.

Way prices are headed, I'm thinking of setting up to reload the 5.56 and I'm noticing folks starting to police up their brass when they used to jut let it lay...

Have shot almost 2K rouns of it in two different rifles. No problems and pretty accurate for an FMJ. I also run the GA Canned Heat 55gr. Nosler Balistic Tip Load for precision targets. Deadly accurate and again no QC issues. Have a buddy who runs it as well. No problems for him either.

Nick-

I live 15 minutes from GA Arms and I easily buy and shoot at least 1000 rounds of this a month if not more. I have yet to have a problem with any of it. With that said......I was training with a LT from a local PD who buys 50k rounds a year for training. He had a kaboom right next to me. It was a high pressure situation that blew the mag out and apart. Broke the mag catch and bolt release. And bulged the upper receiver at the ejection port. He was not hurt luckily. Just kind of stunned. He carried his rifle up to them and they cut him a check on the spot for a replacement at his stated value. They properly handled it without argument. I will continue to shoot GA Arms because they are convenient,below the rest of the market in price and they are stand up guys. It is just a matter of time before one has a Kaboom with the round count some of us shoot.

I have had a Kaboom a while back with their 180 grain .40cal ammo shot out of a G35. They did not pay for the repairs but gave me 1000 rounds of 165 grain ammo to make up for it. The only damage to the G35 was a broken mag catch and magazine. An easy fix.

• 1 year later...

I've been looking for some bulk ammo for my AR & MSAR.....anyone have any recent experience (good or bad) with the Georgia Arms 55gr canned heat ????

The previous posts about the KABOOMS has me a little skitish about them....can't afford to blow up either of these very expensive rifles !!!!

Thanks

I shoot alot of it and like it just fine. I have a group out of a Sabre match rifle that went .355 for three (I know) rounds at 100 yards using thier bulk packed 55 gr. NBT. The FMJ is not as accurate but still plenty acceptable for hoser ammo (under 2 minutes).

I have shot both the 55 and 52 gr. and it has run fine but it groups for crap. It strings vertically. I have tried it in several different guns withnthe same results. Another friend purchased at the same time and had the same reults with his rifle on different day and only after we compared notes did we realize the issue. When I changed back to Black Hills 55g the problem went away and the guns started grouping as it always had.

I havent had the kabooms but I will not be buying more when I run out of it as it maybe accurate enough for the 3 gun game but not if I am shooting distance. I dont like having to change ammo based on the stage so I will return back the Black Hills 55's or come up with my own loads.