Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Hate That Shooters Paradise Burned Down

bruce282

The only local indoor USPSA/IDPA matches around. Well there is the NRA range, but good luck getting a spot. Fire started around 12:30 Sunday, ending with the roof collapsing onto the range. Good thing was no one was hurt. Now we're all waiting to see what happens, the space for the range is leased.

I really feel for the folks that work there, and those who now have no place to practice.

Crap :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Bruce

Unconfirmed reports say the the fire started in the bullet trap - possibly caused by a tracer(s). The bullet trap is made of chunks of rubber with a rubber blanket over it. It ignites and burns just like a "tire" fire.

It's always a horrific to hear of the loss of ANY decent shooting range, being that they're hard to establish and maintain in the first place. I often try to imagine what it'd be like to "lose" our really nice local indoor range (a ten-mile drive, one-way), and it makes me sick to think of it. That would leave us with NO convenient local range within reasonable distance. I'd have to drive to Salem/Albany, and that's an hour's drive and 50+ miles away!!! Gah, no!!!

Please accept my sympathies.

First off, a bit of good news out of all this: it looks as if they will rebuild Shooters (posted on the website today):

"There was a fire on the shooting range Sunday March 18th. The two alarm incident caused considerable damage to the range, roof and rear of the structure.Thankfully, all the staff and customers present were safely evacuated. It will be several months before the store and range can re-open. At this time, plans are to rebuild with estimates ranging from 5 to 8 months. During the interum, the web site will remain active to keep our customers and friends informed on our progress. Up to date information may be found on the forum in the announcements section. "

Website is: www.shootersparadise.com

Not long after Phil bought the place, we started holding monthly USPSA style club matches there and we affiliated shortly thereafter. For several years and with a LOT of help along the way, I helped run the USPSA program at Shooters, even staying on after Phil sold the business. I stepped down from my position after running the August match last year, though in fact, my good friend Jeff - a new Open master BTW - and our dedicated crew had been the ones running the club for some time. The Shooters match was one of only six USPSA pistol clubs in the VA/MD section, and we were the only other year-round indoor USPSA-style match besides the NRAHQ range. We have not been able to do an inventory of club assets lost to the fire, though we had a considerable number of props and targets - which may or may not be salvagable.

Shooters had grown to support several other shooting competition disciplines including an affiliated ICORE and IDPA club, both of which are now inactive thanks to the fire, in addition to hosting:

-a 3 gun program, that once featured a Thompson SMG stage,

-Jeff Hoge's (former section coordinator) new competition shooters class,

-periodic SO/RO and CRO classes,

-competition pistol and shotgun classes including Scott Warren and Dean Breavit - that were often organized by I-SHOT/SERT Systems, as well as Phil's Basic Pistol II

-a one time Sig shoot/gathering that featured a select-fire Sig 552 LEO demo gun

Shooters also supported the shooting community in other ways. Recent examples that come to mind include hosting a local Boy Scout Troop while they earned their Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge, a weekly CCW class that was usually taught by VCDL activist and volunteer instructor Bruce Jackson (who also taught the Utah CCW class), and providing a range for various military and federal organizations to conduct training from time to time.

In all, this fire represents a significant loss to the shooting community in the area as well as a personal loss to me, since it was my "main range" - as it was for so many others. But my loss is very small compared to the potential loss to the current paid and volunteer staff. They are our good friends and fellow competitors. Thank God no one was hurt. Our friends may be facing tough times in the wake of the fire. Please keep them in your thoughts & prayers until Shooters gets back on its feet.

Regards,

Douglas Johnson

TY-44934

Edited by Carlos

Unconfirmed reports say the the fire started in the bullet trap - possibly caused by a tracer(s). The bullet trap is made of chunks of rubber with a rubber blanket over it. It ignites and burns just like a "tire" fire.

If there's any truth to that, it's just a d@^^ shame that Joe Q. Public could be so stupid. :angry: