Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using My Non-dominant Eye To Shoot.

Neomet

I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed. Due to proliferative retinopathy and a couple surgeries my left eye vision, even corrected as best it can be done, is still significantly worse than my right eye. It is pretty difficult for me to pick up even a FO front sight now with my left. I am wondering if it would be better to just start shooting left handed using my right eye to aim and maybe putting tape over the left side of my shooting glasses.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Are you left handed? Or do you use your left hand just because you're left eye dominant? I am left eye dominant but right handed, and I sight with my right eye. I don't know how other cross dominant shooters manage this, but it works quite well for me.

Dave Sinko

• 1 month later...
Are you left handed? Or do you use your left hand just because you're left eye dominant? I am left eye dominant but right handed, and I sight with my right eye. I don't know how other cross dominant shooters manage this, but it works quite well for me.

Dave Sinko

:blink: I am right-handed but left eye dominant. I found out about my condition years ago when I used to bowl. While bowling I wore glasses with a blacked out right eye lens and I had a 214 average. Now with shooting I just close my right eye and keep on shooting. This works fine for me.

Horace Jr.

I am right handed and left eye domintate, I keep both eye open and use my left eye for handgun. Right eye for rifle and Shotgun. I do OK , If I have a fast clay target from the left I have to adjust my head a bit and take just a bit more time to pick up the target with my right eye. For hand gun and under 1 second first shots I -shift- my head to the right just a bit to pick up the gun sooner.

The tape over the eye = I would rather stay home. it takes the fun away for me.

:huh: BUT I probley don't know nothing ;)

I am right handed and left eye domintate, I keep both eye open and use my left eye for handgun. Right eye for rifle and Shotgun. I do OK , If I have a fast clay target from the left I have to adjust my head a bit and take just a bit more time to pick up the target with my right eye. For hand gun and under 1 second first shots I -shift- my head to the right just a bit to pick up the gun sooner.

Man are you screwed up bro.... :P

Like I said I used the tape over the lens of my glasses when I was bowling not shooting. B);)

Why :) Yes I am :wacko: ...thank you for noticeing.

& Horace, =Taped glasses on the off eye is very common in Shotgun sports

The tape used in normaly clear and just in a small spot. for teaching we will use chapstick smeared in a small spot, on a line from the off eye to the front sight.

• 3 weeks later...

I was left-eye & right-handed. I started wearing contacts when my far vision went to crap. Then when my near vision went, I started wearing a lens for far vision in my right eye & for near vision in my left eye. In a very short time I'd become right-eyed. If you have the misfortune of having poor near & far vision this might work for uou.

I'm right handed, right eye dominant, but I have astigmatism in my right eye. I use my non-dominant eye when I have to shoot weak-hand, my groups are much better, but that's just me.

Right handed, left eye dominant here. I shoot pistol primarily RH, but rifle and shotgun primarily, but not always, LH. Now for the zen-like thoughts: You have to do what feels natural, otherwise you're fighting your body, and will have great difficulty becoming one with your weapon. I surrendered to my left eye with long guns 20+ years ago, and have no regrets. It might sound odd, but that's my $.02.

Right handed, left eye dominant here. I shoot pistol primarily RH, but rifle and shotgun primarily, but not always, LH. Now for the zen-like thoughts: You have to do what feels natural, otherwise you're fighting your body, and will have great difficulty becoming one with your weapon. I surrendered to my left eye with long guns 20+ years ago, and have no regrets. It might sound odd, but that's my $.02.

• 3 months later...

Hello

I'm new to pistol shooting this year. I find myself having a difficult time with this in matches.

I am RH and have shot rifle and shotgun extremely well for years (right eye).

However with pistol I sometimes find myself shooting with my left eye and then take time to use the right eye.

I'm usually ok after that. If I start out with the right then all is good.

There is one guy in my league who has tape on his shooting glasses. I believe he shoots RH but the tape is on his right lens.

I wear prescription glasses so I don't want to tape them up every week.

So now Im not sure what to do about this. I have MANY areas to improve upon besides this.

I thought about wearing my contacts and doing the tape thing but Im not sure if I want to risk having problems with them.

Maybe I should just get some prescription shooting glasses that I can tape....