Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Dq..at First Match....

Trooper

Shot my first "bigger than local club" (Level II) Match over the weekend..... got DQ'ed on the 13th of 14 stages...

:wacko: Sigh!! :blink:

Moving through a tunnel draped with cam nets (soft cover).. engaged the last target available through the cover and took off at high speed into the conncting Cooper tunnel (sp?)...... only to find the pistol was snagged in the netting..... couldn't stop in time to avoid breaking the 180....

Lesson learned... I hope. Happy that all my living room practice has made "finger out!" a subconscious habit now!!

Even with that... had a lot of fun over the weekend... met lots of good people... even shot some stages well......

Looking forward to the next one. Plan to do better. :D

I had a similar occurence. Had to shoot through a square hole cut in a sheet of plywood. I usually don't shoot to slide-lock, but due to the stage set up, I decided I had to. With my Glock 35, I have to reposition my hand to hit the mag release. Gun went dry, slide locked to the rear, I rotated the pistol in my hand to hit the mag release as I pulled the pistol from the hole, front sight caught the edge of the wood and spun the empty pistol out of my hand. DQ.

Crud. Gun snagging cloth of all things. Sorry, thats a course design flaw, IMHO. Stuff like that and prop support legs spanning across the ground in the shooting area bug the $#*^ out of me. I know, I know, we run with real guns and shoot live ammunition, but tripping hazards?? :huh:

Jim

Welcome to the club. I DQ myself at a major IDPA match last year with about 3 targets left in the entire match. Screwed up a reload, hit the slide release and the thumb continued and hit the trigger too setting off a round. Unload and show clear, SO and ASO both came up and wonder WTF I was doing. Even the peanut gallery didn't know why I stopped myself.

Welcome to the club. I DQ myself at a major IDPA match last year with about 3 targets left in the entire match. Screwed up a reload, hit the slide release and the thumb continued and hit the trigger too setting off a round. Unload and show clear, SO and ASO both came up and wonder WTF I was doing. Even the peanut gallery didn't know why I stopped myself.

That's true integrity. Good for you. You can be certain that anybody that was there will back you up if there's ever any doubt about something you've done.

Yeah, as a newbie last weekend at my 4th local match (2nd match in two years--got transferred), the first stage we had targets to the left, right and center. Starting was in center, then I naturally turned to my right to engage those tagets (missing two of them that were low and close... :wacko: ). When I turned to go engage the targets on the left, instead of turning left and avoiding breaking the 180, I turned continued my right hand turns, thereby covering RO, camera guy (yeah, I got it on video too...) and every one else... Not too proud of this, and definitely NOT bragging because like everything else I have read in the screw-ups, it was a lack of attention to detail and position, and planning. So be it, I am just glad I didn't have any rounds go off and hit something I hadn't intended on hitting... Scared the beejeesus out of my self, but I RE-learned one of the first lessons we all do.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my first 3 gun matches I got DQ'd. This was on the rifle portion of the stage. I just started using my new ar with a match tight chamber. I still had a some cheap steel case wolf ammo left, so i put it at the bottom of a mag to use only if i had to. Well sure enough I did. I was done with the rifle, so I tried to pull the charging handle back and extract the live round, before grounding the rifle. I pulled as hard as i could, but it wouldnt budge. I just put the rifle on safe, and grounded it and moved to the pistol portion. When it came time to unload and show clear, the RO was not to happy. I ended up having to fire the rifle into the berm to get that steel case ammo out. Lesson learned, and i got o play score keeper the rest of the match.

DQ'd on the second stage of 12 at Area 4 in November. Stage was walls on left and right with two ports each, and a wall straight ahead with a door to more targets. Shooting Limited, I could shoot the targets thru three of the ports before reloading.

I decided to shoot thru the two ports on the left, then the front port on the right, then reload while running back to the back port on the right, then go to the door. Muzzle unmistakably swept past the 180 while running uprange to the fourth port.

Lots going on at work, no time to practice, I was not in any way mentally ready for a major match.

Got to follow my friend around for the next two days, taping for the remaining 10 1/2 stages. I was committed to sharing the hotel costs for two nights anyway. Then back home I had to try to explain why I didn't come home after the shooting was over for me.

Genghis.... Why didncha say ya got the DQ on the last stage of the second day???? :D

Thanks for all the other stories guys... I feel a bit less "stoopid" now! Seems DQ's are on of those things you have either already got........

Or will one day!

Got dq'd first time by dropping my blaster, on my toe. Grrr.

Second time was running through a stage way too fast, engaged a target, engaged the following one and realised I had a mike/no shoot on the previous target. Soooo, I then re-engaged it, at about the 195deg point. Promptly ejected and stowed my mag, cleared the chamber and was waiting for the r.o. to catch up to me. Looking back over my shoulder I had to tell him I'd just 180'd. Think I did it so fast he didn't catch it. Oh well, another day.

I think we all have DQ stories to tell. At least you got to shoot 13 of the 14 stages.

Mine was at Area 4 in '97 on the 2nd stage with my new open gun.

When it comes to ports, holes, netting or whatever, I try not to put the muzzle in the hole.

It won't snag coming out if it wasn't in....