Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Bullets

Sudden Death

Who has there cross hair on a good .223 FMJ 55g bullet WITH OUT a canular I have some V-Max there the top if you ask me BUT the price is steep if you are multi-gunning I'am needing some for close in stuff I will use the V-max on out further. Thanks

Cheapest thing you can find is pulled bullets. Check hi-tech ammo, stock is intermittent. They work fine for 100 yds and under. They shoot about 1 1/4" at 100 for me.

They are FMJ and have a cannalure, though. Is there a particular reason you don't want a cannalure?

Site is hi-techammo.com

I just checked and they are indeed out of stock on a lot of their stuff. They have pulled tracer bullets, and the "20% will light category" is only $25 / K :-)

I can see the explanations to the RO now... when every 5th bullet ignites on the way out to 300 yds. Of course the brush fire might be frowned upon...

I use the Hornady bulk 55gr FMJBT for $60/k from Midway and even though they have a cannelure, they shoot sub-moa in everything I have that can shoot sub-moa.

I don't feel a cannelure bothers anything.

I also don't bother with any other 55gr after finding these babies. They are my 55gr accuracy load bullet nowadays along with being my junk fmj CQ load too ;-)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=165907

Looks like they are on backorder at Cabellas also which is another place they can normally be found.

They will be back in stock soon. I would call both Cabelas and Midway and just place an order with whoever says they will ship first. I have ordered these from Midway in the past when they quoted backorder and it took 2-3 weeks.

I still have a bunch, but will be needing to buy again soon so I will report back in here when I do.

+1 for the Hi-Tech ammo pulled bullets.. I hedged the price increase back in December and bought 6k. They were briefly back in stock last month but at about a $20 price increase for 3k. I was thinking of picking up another 3k but well, I have like 9k of various 223 - 55 fmj's right now and I'm not shooting that much right now.

Vince

Have used the Win. 55 gr. fmj for close hoser stages and out to 100 with good results. We were playing around last week and shot them out to 500 yds. with irons and could consistently hit an IPSC sized target. Got 4 K around the first of the year for $45.00/k from powder valley, they now have intermittent supply.

My over all length on my bullets 2.200 I do this so they will not hang in my 45 round mag I could probally go longer but I'am getting good accuracy with this and the v-max but back to the crimping I have not yet got the Hornaday's with the cannular so I don't know where it sets on the bullet and I do have a taper crimp but still confused how tight to crimp it ? :unsure:

Crimping .223 is not really required, but I use a tad just to be sure.

I back the taper crimp die out to not touch a loaded round at all, then raise a round all the way up into it. I then hand thread the die in until it just locks against the round. This takes all the slack up and sets the die to just this side of adding any crimp.

I then lower the round, carefully inspect the case mouth edge, then add 1/4 turn in on the taper crimp die and raise the loaded round back into the die again. If I get the tiniest bit of contact at the case mouth (indicated by a small amount of flattening), I will pretty much call it done. Noticeably flattening the case into the bullet far enough to indent the bullet is way too much crimp. I barely want to kiss the case mouth with the die.

If your expander ball on your size die is the proper size, the case mouth will be just slightly undersize from the bullet and this difference is all that is normally needed to hold a bullet securely.

As far as OAL with a cannelure goes, the Hornady 55's tend to give me about 2.220" OAL when I set them just at the cannelure. I DO NOT crimp the case mouth into the cannelure to any degreee at all. As mentioned earlier, I barely flatten the case mouth edge, but NEVER push the case wal into the bullet.

BTW, 2.20" is pretty darned short for a .223 OAL. All my stuff falls into the 2.220" to 2.250" range. Are you sure about 2.20"??

Hope this helps.

I know a guy was has the opportunity to get a hold of 300,000 Federal 55 grain FMJ's. He wants to sell most of them at about $60 per 1000 plus shipping, but he is a little leary of grabbing them due to the question of demand. If you are interested let me know or if you you think these are a poor quality slug and not a good buy speak up.

I personally have never fired any of the federals and do not have an opinion.

Thanks,

I know a guy was has the opportunity to get a hold of 300,000 Federal 55 grain FMJ's. He wants to sell most of them at about $60 per 1000 plus shipping, but he is a little leary of grabbing them due to the question of demand. If you are interested let me know or if you you think these are a poor quality slug and not a good buy speak up.

I personally have never fired any of the federals and do not have an opinion.

Thanks,

Please PM me on this bullet order I would be interested in at least half of that order