Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips On Grip?

jeri534

so Ive been shooting for a few months now, and Ive recently got into competition shooting at a local club shooting steel courses...

Below is a pic of what Ive learned how to grip a gun, I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions and tips.

Is my thumb supposed to be inline with my forearm, with my fingers angled downward a bit?

grip.jpg

Any suggestions or comments are welcome, thanks :D

From what your pic shows it looks pretty good. Yes the left thumb should just lay there pointing towards the targets. It appears you are holding a lot of tension in your right thumb. I would work on relaxing it. Some things to remember about your grip

At least 60% of the grip pressure/tension comes from the support/weak hand. Also the suport hands only applies pressure from side to side.

No more than 40% of the grip pressure comes from your strong/shooting hand. This hand must be more relaxed to allow the trigger finger to work independant of the rest of the hand. This hand also only applies pressure front to back. Resist the erge to grip with the tips of your fingers and twist the grip in your hand causing rounds to go low left. When applying pressure on the trigger think "Press" not "squeeze". If you think squeeze you natural reaction is to apply pressure with the whole hand. You only want to apply pressure with you trigger finger. Telling yourself to press your trigger finger is an individual action of one finger not the whole hand.

Glad to see you joined the shooting sports,

Ktyler

Good advice so far. I can't really tell in the pictures but is there any chance you can pull your right hand up further on the gun? The higher it is, the more it can help control the muzzle flip. Get it right up under the beavertail on the gun, just as high as possible.

Good luck, have fun! MLM

Good advice so far. I can't really tell in the pictures but is there any chance you can pull your right hand up further on the gun? The higher it is, the more it can help control the muzzle flip. Get it right up under the beavertail on the gun, just as high as possible.

Good luck, have fun! MLM

thanks for the responses, thats about high as I can go on the USPc, cant get the highest grip on the gun.

In Todd Jarret's video on Google he said the extended trigger finger and support hand thumb should be oppisite each other as a method of telling that you have the same grip every time. Need to find & watch that video.

In Todd Jarret's video on Google he said the extended trigger finger and support hand thumb should be oppisite each other as a method of telling that you have the same grip every time. Need to find & watch that video.

I watch that video religously..I find I cant get my support hand back enough so that they are perfectly equal and parallel, the support thumb is usually a half inch longer on the frame..

Why are you squeezing down with your strong hand thumb? That might hurt more than it helps as there is no safety to stop it weakening your weakhand grip.

Do you see the white under your finger nail? That means pressure. See the white on your stong hand palm. Your weakhand should show more signs of pressure than the right IMO.

Why are you squeezing down with your strong hand thumb? That might hurt more than it helps as there is no safety to stop it weakening your weakhand grip.

Do you see the white under your finger nail? That means pressure. See the white on your stong hand palm. Your weakhand should show more signs of pressure than the right IMO.

Im not squeezing down, its riding on the safety...

It would be interesting to see your grip from the bottom. It looks like your weak hand a too far forward. I can't be sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, the heels of your hands should contact each other at the back of the grip.

Chris

It would be interesting to see your grip from the bottom. It looks like your weak hand a too far forward. I can't be sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, the heels of your hands should contact each other at the back of the grip.

Chris

Works best for me when there is minimal/no space between the heels of the hands. I get the best control that way. That positioning also helps me achieve the 'side-to-side, 60% weak hand, 40% strong hand' grip.

I have small hands and shoot an XD9. I move the weak/left hand back so that the upper left rear corner of the stock is anchored in the thenar muscle ('meaty' part of the muscle below the thumb). It sort of locks in there.

Im not squeezing down, its riding on the safety...

I guess my point was missed. You can't see white under the nail unless you are squeezing to hard generally. The left hand looks loose the right looks tight, should be swaped in tension from what the picture shows in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...