Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack At The Limited Nationals

lppd4

I'm confused. Your title says at the Limited Nationals but you mention Single Stacks. They don't run Single Stacks at the Limited Nationals. Dave S. won last year's Nat's with a Glock 35 and Rob competes in Limited with a hi-cap Springfield. At the Single Stack Nat's Rob uses a Springfield and I can't remember what Dave used. Rob has won Heine's Single Stack Match every year.

Edited by jasmap

I was fortunate to shoot on the same squad with D. Sevigny and J. Goloski at a single stack match in 2005.

They are good, no matter what's in their hands. I was really amazed at how accurate they are, shooting while they are moving.

I get to see Sevigny pretty often but it was just that once that he was shooting a 1911. It just doesn't seem to matter, whether it's a Production Glock, Open, Limited or in that case a single stack 1911.

I'm going to the Single Stack Classic this year and hope to see some of the other greats in action.

How well does Rob, Dave whoever fare with a Single Stack and 8 round mags?

It was a year or two before my time, but TGO used to shoot a skinny in Limited until 1998, when he began the "Reign of Terror" we find ourselves hopelessly mired in. Since then only Jerry Barnhart and Dave Sevigny have won a Limited title, and both times Leatham finished a close 3rd. That's ten years of domination by an "old man" everyone said was done.

He also won the 94 (?) nats shooting a single stack, I think a .45 and ten rounders.

Anyhoo, if I remember correctly, in 1997 there were 13 stages and shooting 13 (?) round single stack mags Leatham won like 7 of them. Still, fighting against the 20+ the high cap guys had, he was further back on other stages and did not finish well in the overall.

Yes a skinny gun, or a damned Glock for that matter can be competitive in the hands of a top shooter. More so if the courses "allow" it through well thought out distribution of shooties.

Which is to say...... It's the Indian, not the arrow. B)

Edited by dirtypool40

Leatham has also won the Limited-10 Nationals with a Single-stack gun. I'm fairly certain he used the 10 round mags for that, however.

But, I have seen many a good shooter play our game with a skinny 1911 and 8 round mags. Unless the stage designer gets silly, it's a viable option. You just don't have as many "extra" rounds in the magazine to help make up shots. (I've seen this help some shooters...knowing they don't have extra shots, they make the first ones count.)

OK guys my bad poor wording of the question. Should have worded the question "What if they chose to use a Single Stack with 8 round mags at the 2007 Limited Nationals?" Would their superior shooting ability, better stage strategy etc carry them towards the top or would they be beaten by most every GM,M and some A class shooters in the field?

They'd get their ass completely kicked by other shooters of similar skill.

It's not the shootability of the gun in any way...IMO. It's the 8+1 rounds versus the 20+ rounds.

In a match with that many stages, there would be too many instances of the hicap shooter having more options and cushion.

Nearly all the field course would have the 8 round shooter going 4 mags deep vs. the hicap shooter doing just one reload. The hicap shooter would have more choices on when and where to do the reload. The 8 round shooter would be reloading every time they moved. The 8 round shooter would need to shoot clean (very rare) to avoid extra reloads...likely standing reloads.

Now, if you ask how they 8 round shooter would do in Limited-10...that is a different question. At that game, things are evened up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...