Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not paying attention to the walk through

Guest bulm5

Guest bulm5

Didn't know it was virginia count cause I did not listen to the darn walk through. I had one extra shot and extra hit.

Similar experience at a local match that does not use written stage descriptions - at this match, descriptions are announced from one of the RO's memory. Anyway, I did not hear "from" before "box A". I assumed start was in Box A and shooting could commence forward of that (the stage just prior to that was shot that way). So upon the signal, I left box A and engaged 2  paper targets on the move placed right next to a door. I was done shooting them by the time I reached the door, opened it and engaged remaining targets - seemed like a good plan. However, since all the shots were supposed to be fired from inside box A, I got 4 procedurals! The range manager was there and he was not pleased! (the last shots were fired near point blank to the targets and the angle was such that they could have hit a cinderblock wall instead of the indoor backstop). He wanted to DQ me but the RO asessed procedurals instead. I am now in the habit of taking off hearing protectors during the stage description after my big screw up.  

Paying attention, very important!!

There once was a stage that turned 90deg to the right.  Well, I was running so fast around the corner, I completely missed three targets on the inside of the turn.  I didn't even walk through the walk through.

*embarrassing* :(

• 11 years later...

And always look for shortcuts. Just because you have to shoot from within the fault lines doesn't mean you can't cross them going from position to position. The fastest shooters are masters at this.

• 2 weeks later...

So the real question is WHY where you not listening to the stage brief?

1. The MD never says anything important

2. I'll just figure out the stage when I get there

3. I was trying to remember if I brought my gun to the match

4. Did you see that? Those USPSA groupies on bay 2 were totally checking me out ...

:)

Having read hundreds (thousands?) of walk-throughs... they often contain a lot of useless crap. We should strive to make them shorter. More to the point.

Having read hundreds (thousands?) of walk-throughs... they often contain a lot of useless crap. We should strive to make them shorter. More to the point.

You mean like "all scoring will be done per the current edition of the USPSA rule book".

So what you're saying is that we're not using the 2005 version of the IDPA rulebook? Thank God I was paying attention otherwise I might have shot this COF differently.

I listen for round count, start position and basically tune out whoever is reading after that. Most times I look over their shoulder because I'm not paying attention when the say the round count. This way I see it for myself in black and white and it sticks in my head better.

You mean like "all scoring will be done per the current edition of the USPSA rule book".

LOL...Have you heard me read that part of a walk through this year? (I often read it with surprise.)

Plus...Welcome to the match and guess what year it is. BTW..this is the stage you are on (in case you got lost coming from the bay next door), and here is the name of it that you won't remember. I am Larry and that is Daryl and Daryl.