Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Starting Questions

Aldrin

Hi, I'm new to uspsa shooting but I've shot for a while. I've recently competed in two matches and I'm hooked. I shot a strait stock Sig 228 in production and did better than I thought would but I'm concerned that I might hit an equipment wall in the near future.

A few questions:

1) If I stay in production, can I be competitive with a trigger job on my Sig or am I fighting an uphill battle against the glocks and XDs?

2)If I were to move to limited, are there any choices other than S_Is or Glocks? Does anyone use a HK USP or a Sig X-five? Are there any 140mm mag extentions for these or are you just giving up too many rounds to be competitive? Are there any other manufactures worth looking at?

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to uspsa shooting but I've shot for a while. I've recently competed in two matches and I'm hooked. I shot a strait stock Sig 228 in production and did better than I thought would but I'm concerned that I might hit an equipment wall in the near future.

A few questions:

1) If I stay in production, can I be competitive with a trigger job on my Sig or am I fighting an uphill battle against the glocks and XDs?

2)If I were to move to limited, are there any choices other than S_Is or Glocks? Does anyone use a HK USP or a Sig X-five? Are there any 140mm mag extentions for these or are you just giving up too many rounds to be competitive? Are there any other manufactures worth looking at?

Thanks

Stick with your Sig and Production for now. Nice gun. Very fun division. If the min. 3# trigger pull weight rule(min 3#) in Production is adopted, a full trigger job might not be necessary. Shoot it. A lot. Dry fire it. A lot. Your trigger will be just fine.

I shoot a Glock 35 in Limited 10. After the Nationals I plan on shooting the same equipment (with mag extensions) in Limited. You won't see HK's or Sig's in Limited, not to any significant degree. They are both exceptional guns. Not much of a "gamers" choice however.

Jim

A few questions:

Thanks

I'd stick with your current gun for a while and have fun, see what other people are doing and get a feel for what you really want/need. You'll get the chance to see and shoot other people's guns and that will be a big help in deciding where you want to go.

If you stay in Production, you're probably going to want something other than your Sig. Having to make the transition from double action first shot to single action second shot is a limiting factor as I don't think anyone can make that transition perfectly all the time.

Certainly, you'll see a lot of Glocks and XDs in Production, but the new Smith M&P seems to be getting a lot of attention too.

Beyond the STI/SVI and Glocks in Limited you'll see some Para Ordanance and EAA/CZ/TZ shooters as well. You won't see too many HK or Sigs as they give up too much in mag capacity to be effective, among other reasons.

Aldrin, Welcome to the wonderful world of USPSA! As you have probably figured out by now you are going to spend money in your new found sport. Trust me, take your time. Go to a few more matches, to different clubs if possible. Most people you talk with will have personal opinions on everything from eye and ear protection to the guns they use. Do your homework before spending any significant amount of money on any one item. It will save you heartache later. This is only my second year shooting and, like you, I'm hooked! I have been shooting my department issued M&P9 in production since Aug last year. I think you should give it a look and while your at your local gun shop look at the others as well. Good luck. Shoot all A's.....REAL FAST!

A few questions:

Thanks

If you stay in Production, you're probably going to want something other than your Sig. Having to make the transition from double action first shot to single action second shot is a limiting factor as I don't think anyone can make that transition perfectly all the time.

From my limmited observations, I would have to disagree with the above statement. I see some good shooters in my club shoot DA/SA in production - CZs and Sigs. They do not seem to have a problem with a transition from DA on the first shot to SA thereafter. I shoot a Glock - because that is what I already owned when I discovered USPSA. But I am giving some serious thoughts to switching to a CZ. I have always liked the grip better than Glock's. I tried one out at a recent steel match and seemed to actually have a slightly better performance with it than with my Glock. It may be a better fit for me. So the best thing to do is to shoot what you have and to try as many other guns as you can. I would not worry about "being competitive". That has more to do with practice than the choice of a gun.

Slav

A few questions:

Thanks

From my limmited observations, I would have to disagree with the above statement. I see some good shooters in my club shoot DA/SA in production - CZs and Sigs. They do not seem to have a problem with a transition from DA on the first shot to SA thereafter. I shoot a Glock - because that is what I already owned when I discovered USPSA. But I am giving some serious thoughts to switching to a CZ. I have always liked the grip better than Glock's. I tried one out at a recent steel match and seemed to actually have a slightly better performance with it than with my Glock. It may be a better fit for me. So the best thing to do is to shoot what you have and to try as many other guns as you can. I would not worry about "being competitive". That has more to do with practice than the choice of a gun.

Slav

+1 to Slav, I shoot a cz-75b in production and IDPA ssp and love it. Glocks have never pointed well for me, and I ride my thumb up under the slide stop on XD's, locking the slide back with rounds left in the mag is no fun......YMMV. You have heard its the injun not the arrow, find a shooter YOU like, that is 100% reliable and practice practice practice.

A few questions:

Some Sig guys can really make 'em sing. I shot my 9mm 226 in "high cap, pull up your pants like a big boy limited" when there was no production. I miss my slicked up Sig, but for USPSA production, one of the "DA" guns like a Glock, XD or M&P are hard to beat. The CZ's can be worked up pretty nice and they are making some factory racers.

Thanks

USP expert is doable, and I remember seeing one set up to use S_I mags. (or rather mags set up to use in that gun....). Cool gun, high bore axis though, not sure who works on them or what's available.

A para is also a very competitive entry level gun, so is a G35 and the various flavors of CZ. If I were starting over I might pick one of those three and have guns for Limited and Production all from the same maker to get as much commonality as possible.

The X-5 is a neat gun, but real damned expensive and I don't see it as competitive. The trigger is nice but not 1911 comparable, the gun is a "high cap" but you're giving up 5+ rounds to a CZ, Glock, S_I or Para. Hell I think factory sticks only hold 12. That's not even going to get it done in IPSC "Standard" where you need at least 15 or 16 to be in there.

Welcome aboard Aldrin. Ask a lot more questions and shoot a LOT of different guns before you buy. Your Sig is plenty good to have fun and learn for a while.