Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 147 Precision Bullets

Steve Moneypenny

I didn't have any Precision's to try but 147gr MasterBlaster's were slower than 147gr Laser cast with 700X, 231 & ZIP in the 132-135PF range but had shotgun accuracy @ 15 yards. I think I want to try about 3.2 WSF next.

Steve,

I'm shooting those bullets out of a stock G-17 barrel as are most of the shooters in my area. I've never seen a problem with any of our stuff.

Have you tried putting calipers on the batch that you have? I'd call Dave Long and let him know as well. Dave is a good guy and I've dealt with him since he took the company over in the late 90's.

The two loads that work well in our guns are 3.8 of WSF and 3.2 of Clays Universal. Both are in the 132 PF range, super consistant chrono numbers and are very accurate.

1.115 OAL with a factory crimp.

Hope this helps.

I've ran 147 masterblasters, precisions, and getting ready to try Bear Creeks out my springfield 1911 9mm. I haven't had any problems with zero crimp or .377-.378 and 3.0 TG. I have not chronoed it really but its a fun load.

Steve,

Are you able to give it a bit more OAL??

Had similar problems with my HS2000 Tactical (Xd) and lengthened the OAL a tiny amount and fixed the problem. I can't explain how or why this worked, but when I had the keyholing it was the first thing that came to mind.

Hope this helps.

Steve - TG has been known to do that with certain plated bullets (as has N320) - though you are the 1st I have heard of who had coated bullets tumble w/ a fast powder.

For reasons I can't explain, slower powders seem to "cure" the problem - though at the cost of more recoil.

Didn't you & Bob get 180s to work in the 9mm? (and I seem to recall you were using N310).

Hes not the only person who has had trouble..I did too.

titegroup seems to cause lots of gas cutting with those bullets. i switched to 3.6 N330 and things were happy.

1.150 oal and fed 200 primers

3.5 didnt make the PF, 3.6 did with plenty of cushion

Hope this helps

harmon

Steve,

Me too! Wish I'd found this thread before I bought a bunch of 'em. Started with 3.2 gr. tight group and also tried 3.1 gr. of Univ. clays. Both tumble intermitently from my Glock 17. I'm loading them short (~1.100) with no crimp. Maybe I'll try loading them out a little further, however I noticed more consistent velocity readings with the bullet back further. Hmm, wounder what's the deal?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using 3.3 of Titegroup with a Rainer 147 gr FMJ and out of my M&P it's making a 127 PF. I benched this load and it'll hold the head at 25 yds and all "A's" at 50 yds. Unsupported it'll do pretty much the same except the groups opened up a tad. No keyholing issues at all. I did have some keyholing issues with my Rainer bullets in 40 using Clays. Such is life..experiment and learn.

Played around with them some more. loaded them out as far as 1.145" and as short as 1.075". Made no difference. Still had about 1/3 of the bullets tumbling. Maybe a little more. I also upped the charge a tiny bit (from 3.1 to 3.2 gr. of Univ. Clays).

Just for laughs I tried some HS6 that I had laying around. Worked up some loads to check velocities and settled on 4.6gr. with win. small pistol mag. primers and bullet seated at 1.075". Average velocity was 915.5 fps. Loaded 100 pcs. to try in this weekend's match and had 0 tumbling bullets!!!! I didn't think the burn rate was that different between HS6 and Univ. Clays but it must be enough to solve the problem.

Wonder why these bullets are reacting so oddly with tight group and univ. clays?

I just shot some 147 Precision bullets through my G34. Accuracy was good. No tumble. 3.0 gr of Titegroup OAL 1.140". Odd thing though. The recoil had more snap to it than the 147 Berry bullets. Think I will stick with Berry. The Precision bullets are about $10 per M cheaper than Berry and $12 less than Precision Delta.

Edited by Joe D

Played around with them some more. loaded them out as far as 1.145" and as short as 1.075". Made no difference. Still had about 1/3 of the bullets tumbling. Maybe a little more. I also upped the charge a tiny bit (from 3.1 to 3.2 gr. of Univ. Clays).

Just for laughs I tried some HS6 that I had laying around. Worked up some loads to check velocities and settled on 4.6gr. with win. small pistol mag. primers and bullet seated at 1.075". Average velocity was 915.5 fps. Loaded 100 pcs. to try in this weekend's match and had 0 tumbling bullets!!!! I didn't think the burn rate was that different between HS6 and Univ. Clays but it must be enough to solve the problem.

Wonder why these bullets are reacting so oddly with tight group and univ. clays?

Man, that's something that they're tumbling with Universal. My G-17 is a Gen-3 gun with no finger grooves. Is yours a late-model? Maybe there's something different in the barrels. When I shoot that load in mine , it's like a bullseye gun.

Hmmm.... :blink:

I hope it works out for you.

BlackSabbath,

I have a 2nd Gen G17 and my GF has a new green, 3rd Gen G17. Bullets have been tumbling from both guns so I don't think it's the weapon. Got to be something I'm doing when reloading or the powder. May be a combination of things and I will probably never know! For now though, I'm gunna run the HS6 as it's working and the gun shoots really well with that load.