Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dolphins And Whales Killing Practices In Japan

Nemo

Many species of marine mammals as among the most threatened species in the planet. Cetaceans, contrary to fish, reach their reproductive maturity very late in life and their reproductive rates are very low, making it difficult to maintain healthy populations.

Today I received an e-mail with the following two websites. The first one is a VIDEO of Japanese fishermen harvesting a pod of dolphins. It is very graphic and clearly shows the cruelty of the harvest practices. Need not mention the massive untreated discharges of organic matter into the shore.

The second website is a PETITION TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN to stop these practices. Although I don't believe in signing on-line petitions, I felt compelled to sign this one.

A cultural difference that needs to be respected? Maybe, but it goes against the flow of the species conservation efforts that many other countries are taking. In my opinion, it is just wrong.

I could go on and try to give you my SAVE THE OCEANS speech, but I'm sure you've already heard it from many other sources.

:(

Many species of marine mammals as among the most threatened species in the planet. Cetaceans, contrary to fish, reach their reproductive maturity very late in life and their reproductive rates are very low, making it difficult to maintain healthy populations.

Today I received an e-mail with the following two websites. The first one is a VIDEO of Japanese fishermen harvesting a pod of dolphins. It is very graphic and clearly shows the cruelty of the harvest practices. Need not mention the massive untreated discharges of organic matter into the shore.

The second website is a PETITION TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN to stop these practices. Although I don't believe in signing on-line petitions, I felt compelled to sign this one.

A cultural difference that needs to be respected? Maybe, but it goes against the flow of the species conservation efforts that many other countries are taking. In my opinion, it is just wrong.

I could go on and try to give you my SAVE THE OCEANS speech, but I'm sure you've already heard it from many other sources.

:(

I agree with you completely. I deal with pacific Rim countries a lot, and the Japanese level of supreme arrogance is beyond comparison.

I'd like to save the whales and fish, but considering what is happening to the climate in general...... it isn't going to matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread because I hate the practice used for harvesting entire pods (maybe a signifcant percentage of the local population) of dolphins and I hate the methods used for sacrificing the animals used by the people in the video.

I also stated that I don't necesarilly agree with online petitions but was compelled to sign this one, mainly by principle, although I know it won't get anywhere. I didn't ask anybody to sign it, nor wanted the thread to turn into a political-sovereign nation-minke whale status-Grand Banks swordfishing-kill the Japanese discussion.

Trooper's post is a very good one and I'm sure we could have a lengthy discussion on cetacean population dynamics, fishing and overfishing, humane sacrifice practices and all that good stuff. But that discussion would have to take place after THE SHOOTING is done and over the subsequent beers, I'll even buy the first one.

Meanwhile, I still hate what I saw in the video among other things, not many. If YOU hate something that may or not relate to this thread, feel free to start your own but don't try to convince me here that I'm too sensitive or that I should have better (or worst) things to hate.

I also hate having to ask for a thread to get closed because we should be able to benefit from all members could contribute. But IF it is going to be a problem and will constantly violate the forum rules, moderators feel free to close it.

:angry:

Edited to fix some HTML boo-boos

Edited by Nemo

Hello all,

I deleted any post in this thread that:

Was a rebuttal of any sort;

Even hinted at being a rebuttal;

Was a rebuttal to a rebuttal;

Was supporting a rebuttal;

Or drifted the thread in any way.

That seemed to me to be the only way to preserve the integrity of Nemo's original post.

I hope this makes sense and everyone understands. If you don't please feel free to PM me.

Thank you,

Brian