Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did a search and nothing came up on this...I was checking my Classification and on the top of the page it says, "No IPSC Alias on File." It goes on to explain,

"The IPSC Alias is an identifer that individual members of IPSC regions may use to participate in the IPSC classification system. This alias is chosen by the individual member, is between 4 and 16 characters long, and may not be changed once assigned (this is IPSC's policy). If you register an IPSC alias, you may use the PIN on your Front Sight label to associate it with your USPSA member number. This is necessary if you will be participating US matches run under the international IPSC rules, as we will use this information to properly report your classifier scores to the world body."

I'm not likely to be affected by this anytime soon, but was curious, are people using things like Gunslinger 6 or Top Gun or going with first intial and last name?

Again, wondering if I need to come up with a Cool Guy Alias like my old call sign "Zulu 01" or just use my initials?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

the few that i know and am sure nobody cares if shared.

me Smoney

Jake "the portal"

bob vogel vogelshootist

this alias thing is getting on my nerves, the closest match of any kind around is a cowboy action match which, i'd like toshoot for fun.. u know not practice not work at it just oooh crap i'm up and blast. well now i have to have an alias.. and i'm just confused. i was given one when i tried to shoot a match. but i'll be danged if i couldn't remember my OWN name!

Your alais ought to be goddamit.

As in, "get to the line goddamit...your up!!!"

CDRODA396, it might be important to note (for everybody) that it is an IPSC alias, not USPSA.

I think I have one, but I don't recall what it is...as I've never needed it.

IPSC Aliases in my experience are all over the map.. I use 'shred', others use their name (first / last / both), others use things like 'STI hoser'. Since it's yours for life, you might want to reconsider 'DeathSlayer2000' unless you really really like it.

I think it's a pity you can't change your ICS alias, the one you think up while joining is maybe not the one you like three years later. <_<

A friend of mine used his last name, got married and changed name, not so fun to use your old name in the IPSC classifier system after that.

As long as the ICS nick is unique, why can't we change it? I'm stuck with ROGERT, the plan was to register ROGER_T but that was not possible.

• 11 months later...
I think it's a pity you can't change your ICS alias, the one you think up while joining is maybe not the one you like three years later. <_<

A friend of mine used his last name, got married and changed name, not so fun to use your old name in the IPSC classifier system after that.

As long as the ICS nick is unique, why can't we change it? I'm stuck with ROGERT, the plan was to register ROGER_T but that was not possible.

I've been wondering about this lately, and a search on the forum turned up this thread...

If you already have an IPSC alias, is there any reason NOT to register it with USPSA? There are so many precautionary "this-will-go-down-on-your-permanent-record" warnings on the USPSA site during the registration process that it made me think twice about doing it for fear of screwing somthing up on the USPSA side - which is where I'm actually active.

The alias was introduced for people who do not want their full name listed on a shooting web-site. It can be anything you want, you could use your full name, or your USPSA number or anything really.

The Alias was created by IPSC since they needed something like a member number to associate scores with an individual. Since IPSC did not maintain information on individuals, they needed some identifier and they decided to let people pick their own.

All registering the alias does with USPSA is allow an IPSC match held in the US to automatically report your scores to IPSC using the alias, without the need for the match to collect an IPSC alias from each competitor (the back end process looks up your IPSC alias before submitting scores to the world body).

The alias was introduced for people who do not want their full name listed on a shooting web-site. It can be anything you want, you could use your full name, or your USPSA number or anything really.

The Alias was created by IPSC since they needed something like a member number to associate scores with an individual. Since IPSC did not maintain information on individuals, they needed some identifier and they decided to let people pick their own.

All registering the alias does with USPSA is allow an IPSC match held in the US to automatically report your scores to IPSC using the alias, without the need for the match to collect an IPSC alias from each competitor (the back end process looks up your IPSC alias before submitting scores to the world body).

Makes sense... thanks

I even paid , I think $5.00 for that IPSC alias 2 years ago. It will be registered in your name and no one will ever use it or copy it. But, none of my scores is registered yet in their system.

When you pay for the alias the alias is hooked up with an email-adress too, like "alias@ipsc.org".

If no scores have been entered in the IPSC data base that could be two things,

first is you have not taken part in an IPSC-match, just USPSA-matches, and since the rules differ between IPSC and USPSA the scores are not compatible.

Second is that even when you shoot an IPSC match, there is no requirement for the organizer to submit scores to the IPSC classification data base. And only when the match has IPSC classifier stages in it, or if the match is a preapproved level 3 match is it possible to submit scores. And you must state your alias to the organizer when registering for the match. There is also a submission fee of 3 USD for every competitor involved.

Edited by RogerT