Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm / Clays / Titegroup

ptrickamp222

Just recieved my 9mm quik change for 9mm. I have Clays & Titegroup. I've ordered 125 & 147 LSWC BearCreek Moly. I have 4 manuals. I show no data for clays and 147. Does anyone have favorite loads they would like to share with either 125 or 147? Also feet per second of load. I've read not to shoot over 1050fps with lead. I am looking for accuarate and soft feel. I currently use Clays 4.0grs and 200gr LSWC in 45acp. My springer custom shoots this at 803 fps. Love the feel of Clays. Also very accurate. The pistol for 9mm is a BHP reworked by Novaks. Thanks in advance for any input :)

Edited by ptrickamp222

ptrickamp, are you trying to make any certain power factor? I use a Zero 147 gr. JHP over 3.2 gr of Titegroup. Out of my Glock 17 I get 888 fps for a power factor of 131. This load is mild, and accurate.

I am looking for great shooting practice rounds. Somewhere in the 125 thru 130 PF range. Also I've read that lead should be kept under 1050 fps. I would think of leading the barrel at that speed but I do not know. I've never tried it.

ptrickamp, are you trying to make any certain power factor? I use a Zero 147 gr. JHP over 3.2 gr of Titegroup. Out of my Glock 17 I get 888 fps for a power factor of 131. This load is mild, and accurate.

I am looking for great shooting practice rounds. Somewhere in the 125 thru 130 PF range. Also I've read that lead should be kept under 1050 fps. I would think of leading the barrel at that speed but I do not know. I've never tried it.

Precision Bullets and Masterblasters bullets use a process similar to Bear Creek. I would not expect a problem with leading at velocities to which you would be loading.

The following are direct quotes from each company's website.

"You can fire our bullets at over 2000 feet per second with no leading and no copper fouling and no messy lubricants." - Precision Bullets' website

"You can use your favorite loads and data, it does not matter whether it is a load for jacketed or lead bullets. Our polymer coating can handle velocities up 1400 fps, before breakdown." - Masterblasters' website

Clays is not a good powder for the 147 gr bullet. I don't think it will even make a 125 pf without over pressure. Stick with Titegroup. My TG load for 147 is 3.0 gr. For the 125 gr bullet I use 3.5 gr. OAL is 1.135" with both.

Clays and 147's go well together for me. Try starting at 2.9gr and adjust accordingly. You didn't mention what gun you are shooting them in. From a friend's G34, 2.8gr under 147 Zeros make minor. 2.9 grains in a G17 also makes minor. Recoil is about as 'Mouse Fart' as you can get... I just purchased some Precision Moly bullets to try, haven't chrono'd or tested them for accuracy.

-HTH

I would not use Clays with 147's, just because I don't like measuring really small quantities of coarse powders.

I found it to produce a very pleasant load with 124's, start at the Hodgdon book starting load and play around with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been using 3.6 gr of tg w/ a125 gr lcn. It moves out of my kkm glock 34 at 1075fps. Ive had no problems w/ leading. Ive been fooling around w/ casting bullets lately and u will be able to see it very crearly. my bullets r 15 brns which is on the soft side and still no problems. im gonna try clays next.