Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need (ss) Holster That's Easy On Front Sights

Eager

I had a Colt series 80 customized a bit and a front sight with a gold insert was installed.

The front sight performs very well for me. I prefer it (performance wise) to other fronts I've had including fiber optics. I used the gun for some months for USPSA matches and in practice, at the end of which period the gold peice fell out. The maker obligingly installed a new one, stating that they had a better glue now. I think part of the problem may have been the rear of the front sight raking against the top edge of my Comptac kydex belt holster. This holster has a channel for the front sight, but as the gun comes up and out it rotates such that the front sight is raked sometimes strongly against the top edge of the hard kydex. I've noticed this same phenomenon with my other gun and holster (a BladeTech kydex belt holster for a CZ-85 Combat) which (the gun) has a very sharp edged front sight on the back of the front sight. This front sight is digging a groove in the top edge of the holster so much so that's it's cut through the holster on the top edge. Often a spiral shaped shaving of kydex comes out stuck on the front sight.

Can anyone recommend a holster for single stack USPSA that is friendlier on front sights, optimally that does not contact the front sight as the gun comes up and out. I may not use this gun for competition much, so the holster doesn't have to be the most competetive (leather may be OK). But I'd like to be able to put this gun through some paces (competition) once in a while. Don't you guys with FO sights have a problem with hitting the top edge of the kydex holster, potentially knocking out the FO?

Uncle Mike kydex holsers seem to be pretty front sight friendly, at east they have been so far for me. I just bought a Safariland kydex holster for my new Spartan, its sued lined, I should have it tomorrow.

I'm not having that issue with any of the Blade-Tech holsters I'm using. It may just be a quirk of your draw since it's not really happening in the sight channel but as the pistol exits the holster. Any chance you can trim the holster to stay out of your way?

If we are talking PSSD, check the rules on the cutting of the holster. It sounds to me like you are pushing forward combined with pulling up during the draw. Don't do that :D

Later,

Chuck

From the rules:

The holster, must not be cut further than 1/2 inch below the front of the ejection port and cover

the slide completely up to 1/2 inch below the ejection port.

Edited by ChuckS

I just got a Comp-tac locking paddle for my 1911. It is a paddle that has 2 hooks that your belt runs through and doesn't come out when you draw.

It is by far the best holster I have ever used. Nice big channel for the front site.

Regards,

Ed

I had the same trouble with an Uncle Mikes, but switched to a Blade Tech. The BT has a lot deeper sight channel. Their injection molded line is under $20, so it won't cost you much to try it.

Nevermind. :wacko:

I just tested it again. The comptac has a deep channel that goes all the way up and the front does not touch the kydex. I guess I just thought it was so I'll go ahead and use it. It must have been the pounding of the slide that loosened the gold filling. :D

Now, my CZ front blade does scrape my BladeTech. The sight channel is not deep enough at the top. The separation between the slide and the sight channel kind of disapears at the top and this allows the font sight to scrape kydex almost every draw. In fairness the front which is a CZ competition plain black, that I bought from Angus Hobdell, was an "extra tall", that I filed down some to fit. No big deal on this one. I guess if it wears out, I'll get a Comptac. They seem to have a deeper sight channel.

Edited by Eager

I just picked up yet another Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster yesterday - this design is pretty much all I've used for years - and its sight channel is so generous I could just about literally have a front sight an inch tall and not have a problem with it rubbing the holster. Good stuff.

I just picked up yet another Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster yesterday - this design is pretty much all I've used for years - and its sight channel is so generous I could just about literally have a front sight an inch tall and not have a problem with it rubbing the holster. Good stuff.

It's interesting that you say that because the sight channel on my BladeTech kydex belt holster (for CZ-85) is not that deep, certainly not as deep as the sight channel on my CompTac belt holster (for 1911), and in fact the front sight is cutting into the top of the holster. There may be differences in the size of the sight channels holsters model to model, i.e. 1911 vs CZ. Anyway, I've verified that my CompTac for my Colt is not hitting the sight, so I'm good to go with my existing holster. Now to build that bench and set up my new 550b and all that other junk. B)

Edited by Eager

It's interesting that you say that because the sight channel on my BladeTech kydex belt holster (for CZ-85) is not that deep, certainly not as deep as the sight channel on my CompTac belt holster (for 1911), and in fact the front sight is cutting into the top of the holster.

How old is your holster? I wonder if they've improved the design in this area over the years.