West Point 3 Gun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of curious about a few things as well:

The design of the stages?

Tactical pistol holsters only?

Must be present to win at the prize table?

Match results based on total time or total stage points ?

Multi-gun stages or one gun per stage?

IMG, USPSA or other rules?

I believe this is going to be a great match in a cool place, but would be nice to know a little more about what to expect.

Anybody what last years match was like?

I was kind of curious about a few things as well:

The design of the stages?

Tactical pistol holsters only?

Must be present to win at the prize table?

Match results based on total time or total stage points ?

Multi-gun stages or one gun per stage?

IMG, USPSA or other rules?

I believe this is going to be a great match in a cool place, but would be nice to know a little more about what to expect.

Anybody what last years match was like?

+1 on all points... I have car load of folks heading down from Maine...

I got a e mail from Joe Seuk today, he has alot to do with West Point shooters. Joe says

match is definitely on - preps are ongoing. match sold out 120+ shooters. March is starting to look good, even with our 2 feet of snow still on the ground. 3 weeks till West Point 3gun and then the next week SMM3gun in Mesa.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email saying that the match may be canceled, and that they might have a training session instead. First, I waste money getting a room through hotwire, which sticks me with a hotel room in New Jersey. I panic regarding the firearms laws in NJ, and get a room in NY. Neither room is refundable, and now I get this message. I sure am excited. :(

Read Below from my email. Who is this guy kidding I don't need some cadet teaching me how to shoot 3 gun. Maybe they should pay me $125 to teach them how to shoot. I am sorry but the week before the match and you get an email that it might be canceled or might not is very bad.

Dear Shooter,

As most of you are aware, the weather conditions in the NY area took a turn for the worst. Unfortunately, the outdoor ranges at West Point may still be very slippery and dangerous next weekend. So there is a good possibility that we will have to reschedule the match for October. However, we have come up with an incredible opportunity for our shooters. As many of you may know, the primary purpose of the West Point Combat Weapons Team is to teach the team members how to become instructors. The cadets spend a lot of time learning shooting techniques and tactics, but ultimately the goal is for them to be able to teach when they graduate and join the “big” army.

If we cancel that match, we are going to be offering three options. The first is to automatically reschedule you for our October match. The second is to refund your money. We are also considering a third option of offering you a full day of rifle, pistol and shotgun tactics and techniques training for a fee of $125. The class size will be small and the round count high. If the match is canceled, this is tentatively schedule to happen on either 3/24/07 or 3/25/07. It will be an all-day event and a really great experience. If you are interested, please respond to this email with a “Yes” I am interested in the training. Classes will be filled on a first-come first-served basis and will be limited in size. If you are not interested, please respond with a “No” thanks on the training. I know many of you have been looking forward to “sending rounds down range” next weekend, so this is a unique opportunity to do so.

This training experience is still subject to final approval from West Point and if approved you will notified by Thursday. As of today the match is still considered a go, but with the current range conditions this may change.

Thanks again for your understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

Gary Salman

Edited by ap3

I guess the part that burns my ass the most is the "you will be notified by Thursday" part. We are planning an all day drive to get there, and driving over night to get home early Monday morning. We can't get our room refunded, so I guess we are S.O.L.

Edited by Ledge

I guess the part that burns my ass the most is the "you will be notified by Thursday" part. We are planning an all day drive to get there, and driving over night to get home early Monday morning. We can't get our room refunded, so I guess we are S.O.L.

+1 on that. I am looking at a 7 hour drive. Not to mention the fact that I run a large business and put off meetings and other work to be off Friday for the drive. Instead of tring to get into SMMG 3 gun I blew that off so I could support 3 gun on the east coast

I have shot competition the rain, snow, or mud it is just part of the game. Since I am on a rant the other thing that is frustrating about this match organizer is that you can't get emails returned for legitimate questions like: Stages being posted, race holster or not, or even how the match is going to be scored.

Doesn't speak well for the West Point reputation of leadership, or the unwritten motto of "always get the job done."

Ok, I'll quit now and go drink a beer.

Edited by ap3

Should the cancellation occur, I know of a really good USPSA pistol match in NJ on Sunday.

The other item is regarding the cancellation itself. The range is under the control of the Point and is a Government Facility. While the cadet corp might want to run the match regardless, there is the liability aspect that the powers that be will certainly be concerned about. Yes we sign a waiver, but the conditions can be considered hazardous which might place them beyond coverage by our waiver. So regardless of what we would do at home, or the cadets might do given the power, the match might just wind up being canceled.

Jim

PS, for info on the NJ match, go to www.obcats.com

regardless, there is the liability aspect that the powers that be will certainly be concerned about. Yes we sign a waiver, but the conditions can be considered hazardous which might place them beyond coverage by our waiver. So regardless of what we would do at home, or the cadets might do given the power, the match might just wind up being canceled.

Jim

PS, for info on the NJ match, go to www.obcats.com

Oh well, we would not want our Miltary facilities to be afraid of ambulance chasing lawyers.

Lets all just hope that al Qaeda doesn't seek legal council. If your local hospital took this attitude you would not have an ER.

Ok, I got an email that says snow is not the issue, but the the ice underneath it. Their concerned for shooter safety if they can't eliminate the ice.

I can't fault anybody that makes a decision however hard to protect us from serious injury.

Pray for sunshine in New York!!!!!!

Edited by ap3