Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer Brass - Sporadic Primer Problem

born-in-45

I am experiencing a problem with Speer brass where the primer is not getting popped out on the depriming stroke (Dillon 550) or just the top of the primer is being snapped off leaving the side portion in the case. This is quite sporadic but I usually see 1 to 10 instances per 100 brass.

Any ideas on what is the problem? Have only experienced it with Speer brass. I did put in a new pin and it seemed to help for awhile but since the problem is so random, I'm not sure it actually improved.

My first thought was that perhaps some of the brass has the military crimp but I don't know how to tell such. What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Edited by born-in-45

I am experiencing a problem with Speer brass where the primer is not getting popped out on the depriming stroke (Dillon 550) or just the top of the primer is being snapped off leaving the side portion in the case. This is quite sporadic but I usually see 1 to 10 instances per 100 brass.

Any ideas on what is the problem? Have only experienced it with Speer brass. I did put in a new pin and it seemed to help for awhile but since the problem is so random, I'm not sure it actually improved.

My first thought was that perhaps some of the brass has the military crimp but I don't know how to tell such. What should I be looking for?

Thanks

I've had the same problem with my 650. Thought I broke the de-capping pin I had it down so far and the primers still weren't coming out. I quit using speer. Win and Fed are my preferred brass, no problems with them at all. Don't know what else to tell you.

The primers are gripping on to the end of the decapping pin, and get pulled back into the pocket. The cure is to stone a slight point on the end of the pin.

Serch the forum, this has come up many times.

CCI primers are the ones that hang up. They will be found in Speer brass.

I don't believe the primer is sticking on the decapping pin and getting pulled back in. My reasoning is the fact that some of the primers are actually having the top knocked out (separated) while the sides stay in the primer pocket. It is more like the primers are corroded in. I am leaning towards this being my last batch of Speer unless I start seeing the problem appear with other headstamps.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something simple.

THANKS

I just started seperating brass by head stamp, (something I don't normally do), and noticed that Speer brass has kind of a dimpled primer pocket. It almost looks like it was made as cheaply as possible and a quality product was not the objective. While I haven't had a problem with it I have begun to seperate it out and use other stuff. I don't like the way it looks and have enough other stuff that I won't run out anytime soon. I will load it for practice and just leave it at the range, if someone else wants it they can pick it up.

many years back I experiecned some cases where the primer puched out the bottom instead of pushing the entire primer out. At that time it was concluded that there was corrosion that cemented the primers in place.

Depending on the exact part number ammunition, Speer offers ammunition with the primer sealed. Not all of it is that way, but there are law enforcement contracts requiring it. While it may not be likely, it seems there could be some potential of a sealant causing a problem of this sort.

I'm not certain what sealant is being used, exspecially now, but it may be a Locktite product. It was a clear sealant, however, so I don;t know if you would be able to determina if an individual case has it or not.

If this is, in fact, the cause, it is the first time I've heard of this sort of problem stemming from sealants. But it is a thought.

On those where the decapping pin is going through, but you still have a problem with teh spent primer in th eprimer pocket, teh primer crimping on the decapping pin is the likely cause. If the bottom of the primer is punching out, though, it is something else.

Guy

I just started seperating brass by head stamp, (something I don't normally do), and noticed that Speer brass has kind of a dimpled primer pocket. It almost looks like it was made as cheaply as possible and a quality product was not the objective. While I haven't had a problem with it I have begun to seperate it out and use other stuff. I don't like the way it looks and have enough other stuff that I won't run out anytime soon. I will load it for practice and just leave it at the range, if someone else wants it they can pick it up.

See here for an explanation of the "dimpling", which is a cosmetic issue only:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...99&hl=speer