Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Brass Magwell.

Cuz

If I put a THE Brass magwell on my Glock 17, will I need to change the base pads on my stock magazines in order to seat them properly? I never run the gun with more than 10 rounds in a mag so I'm not looking for extra capacity. I would like to add the magwell, but don't want to have to change my magazine basepads. Will this configuration work ok???

-Cuz.

You're not going to be able to make quick reloads with stock basepads and a magwell. The heal of your hand won't be able to push the magazine into the magwell, therefore you'll have to use fingers or a thumb to get the mag seated.

There's mag basepads available that don't add any capacity, but these don't often work in conjunction with the AWB 10-round mags.

You could always glue some plastic spacers onto the bottom of the stock basepad to build it up enough to work well with a magwell.

Edited by ihatepickles

Scherer makes "fingertip extensions for Glock M26" that are cheap, 2 pads per package.

I used a saw & grinder to get them a little shorter & square to the mag body but you don't have to. Just makes them more like a +2 pad for hicap mags.

No 10-round mag is gonna be really "easy" to seat until they're downloaded by 1 or 2 rds.

Glock +2 extensions are inexpensive and make it a lot easier to reload with a magwell.

Sure you can reload without the extensions, but you'll have to seat them with your thumb for the reasons already mentioned.

I've had no issues with my g34/THE Brass Magwell and ten rounders or 17 rounders seating --- the only thing I had to do was dremel the opening of both the THE Magwell and the frame opening inside the magwell, to remove a couple of ledges on which the mags could hang up on the initial insertion....

Mags seat easily and drop free.....

Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to dremel my Glock just yet, and I have a bunch of 10rd mags that I'm using so I don't think the Glock +2 pads will work.

-Cuz.

Mags would seat fine without dremeling ---- if they didn't hang up on the sharp edges, upon insertion, and flip right out of my hand......

I still shoot that gun for steel and Limited minor.....

I'm assuming that you want to add weight to your gun??

Personally, I'd opt for the Dawson heavy Ice magwell. Weighs 6.something oz. and looks a whole lot better (to me, black on black is much more asthetically pleasing than brass on black).

Either way I still have the same problem of not being able to use the standard mags. I agree, the black Dawson would probably look better.

-Cuz.