Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rural Areas Of Kentucky And Arkansas

Me and my family will hopefully be moving within the next year or so and have been seriously considering one of these States to move to. Not sure which one and was hopeing for some insight from some of the members here who live there.

Could you give us some ideas of the names of towns we should consider? What we are looking for is a very secluded place with no neighbors (if there is such a place) with a 15 to 20 mile drive to town/city for work.

10 to 50 acres.

Good school district.

South Mississippi is not a bad place to live but since the hurricane the population has increased greatly with mainly gang members/wannabe gang members for some reason. Assuming from the New Orleans area? Anyway while it was once a great place to live, it is no longer a place I feel I want to raise my family.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well depends om whether you want to around wildcats or razorbacks. Of course right now gators seem to be the king of the south east.

If you know what that means, Kentucky is the place for you!

Ky gets an F as a grade from anti-gun organizations which is a good thing for shooters and 2nd amendment advocates. It is a shall issue state. Class 3 state. KY has 6 USPSA clubs, and several within driving distance in nearby states.

The schools are not great but if your kids want a good education its available. The schools dont score good overall but I think its reflective of the average students priorities. Problem is allot of kids here, maybe everywhere, are only concerned with having a good time. Nothing wrong with a good time in moderation after the priorities are taken care of.

The weather here is pretty good. Yea it has its cold and hot periods during peak winter and summer time. The rest of the time is pretty nice.

The economy in central KY is good and has always been better than the national average. At least from my perspective. Cost of living probably isnt as cheap as it once was,comparatively speaking, but if you stay away from the big cities, or should I say larger, the cost of property isnt bad. The tax situation isnt great but bearable.

Kentucky has voted republican in most the recent presidential elections. It has 2 republican Senators, and I think, shame on me, 5 out of 7 Representatives are Republican. The state legislature is house deomcrate, senate republican, current Governor is republican but has probably ruined the chance for a republican to hold that position for a long time. Most local offices are held by democrat's.

Hope that gives you a little info on what to expect in Kentucky.

Have you thought about central MS? I used to live in Ridgeland just outside of Jackson when I was in high school. Other than the weather in the summer I liked it there. There are decent jobs in the area. Madison county has some rural areas. The public schools suck but the private schools are excellent.

I'm Chris and I live in Owensboro, KY about 3 hours west of where Chuck lives. There are alot of Louisville fans around me but grew up in Lexington and a True Blue fan all the way. Good thing about living here is the cost of living is very affordable and the larger cities are 35 miles away (Evansville, IN). Greatest of all is you can shoot every weekend March - November. There is always a match within 2 hours or so and most are 30 to 45 minutes. During the winter it's a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive to Lexington. We also shoot IDPA year round in Newburgh, IN which is just across the river. Good luck I hope you find your family a happy home.

Chris C.

Edited by headhunter25

I really like the area around and especially to the northwest of Little Rock. I'd like to retire there, if and when I ever retire.

PM Matt Mink, he lives in Little Rock, and Jb1 lives sorta northwest corner of the state.

Edited by Al Capizzo

I don't know if a little further west is acceptable, but the areas northeast and east of Shawnee, OK is somewhat desolate with areas of rolling hills and trees.

Larger parcels of land within 30 minutes of Shawnee still go for $500 per acre or less. Shawnee appears to be a growing area with lots of new stores, even a Super Walmart all near the interstate.

As Oklahoma City continues to grow, the population may expand to the east adding to the future amenities in the Shawnee area.

Medical facilities in Shawnee appear top notch as well as an excellent Chinese buffet on the east side of town.

As for shooting, the OKC gun club is an excellent range just east of Edmund and the USSA range in Tulsa both within a reasonable drive.

Bill

p.s. I've never lived there, but do spend a far amount of time nearby.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I live in malvern, arkansas which is about 45 minutes from little rock and about 20 minutes from hot springs. The cost of land is going up do to pressure from little rock mainly it's about 4 grand a acre right now. The school district i am in is pretty good i've got a 9 year old going there now and my other half is korean so you can believe that i would hear about it if it was crap. I have two gun clubs about 30 minutes away that do idpa and one is starting ipsc this year. a 3rd place is about 1 hour away in west little rock.

I guess my question is what kind of work do you do to try and help put you in a area where it is available. Good luck in your search

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

The northern corner of Mississippi and Alabama. I live in northeast Mississippi, and am 30 minutes from the Muscle Shoals area, and less than 2 hours from Memphis and Huntsville. Taxes and property are reasonable. The economy in my home county is not that great, but depending on your field there are things available in the area. Education has improved a lot in the last 10 years, but the public school system is still just OK. As far as guns in general, all three states are CCW shall issue, and reciprocate. There are 4-5 IPSC and IDPA clubs within a two hour drive, most of which run at least a monthly match, and some run weekly. I would probably not live anywhere else by choice.

Fort Smith, Arkansas great gun club, excellent schools

Owensboro, Kentucky, better gun club, nat as good schools.

I have lived at both locations, Arkansas probably has cheaper land, but Kentucky has better access to different areas of the south.

The northern corner of Mississippi and Alabama. I live in northeast Mississippi, and am 30 minutes from the Muscle Shoals area, and less than 2 hours from Memphis and Huntsville. Taxes and property are reasonable. The economy in my home county is not that great, but depending on your field there are things available in the area. Education has improved a lot in the last 10 years, but the public school system is still just OK. As far as guns in general, all three states are CCW shall issue, and reciprocate. There are 4-5 IPSC and IDPA clubs within a two hour drive, most of which run at least a monthly match, and some run weekly. I would probably not live anywhere else by choice.

LEFT THERE - went to Kentucky - 'nuff said :ph34r: