Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan

bkeeler

I just got a new STI Trojan in 9mm to shoot in IDPA ESP.

When I got it I installed a 9lb recoil spring and using FP-10 oil the gun ran with no problems. I only have about 300 rds throught it.

I cleaned it up and lubed it with slide glide #1 which i use on my other guns. Well I noticed when I have the slide locked back and put a full mag in and hit the slide release the first round nose dives sometimes. It did not do this when i was using the oil.

I put a 10# recoil spring in and it seems fine.

My question is  is the slide glide slowing the slide down to much for that spring or is it the gun is just not broke in?

Thanks

bkeeler

>I put a 10# recoil spring in and it seems fine.

There you go. But even that seems kind of light, though I don't know jack about 9mm 1911s.

Your new gun is obviously too tight for Slide Glide with a light spring. Use a heavier spring and/or add a few drops of oil to the SG until the gun breaks in (1K-2K rounds).

No worries.  When my 9mm Trojan was new, it sometimes short cycled with the stock 12# recoil spring.  That showed up as the slide not locking back, sometimes stovepipe jams.  The STI smith said I could change to 10# for break in, but I just ignored it and it went away after a few hundred rounds.

I have about 20k rounds on it now.  I also use Slide Glide.  IMO, you need to "thin" the stuff out about 50% with some oil like FP-10 or even syn motor oil for the lube that goes on the slide rails.  If I use straight SG on the rails, it cycles but feels kind of sluggish.

I have anotherquestion about my STI Trojan 9mm.

I have noticed some brass dust around the disconnector and around the slide rails by the breach face. Anyone else notice this on a new gun?

any suggestions?

Thanks

Bkeeler

Found another problem!

When you push up on the mag and try to close the slide the mag rubs on the underside of the slide and the slide will not close all the way. Is this just the 9mm?

I have a Kimber in .45 acp and the mags dont hit the underside of the slide. The 9mm mags or the 45.acp mags.

I put my .45acp mags in the trojan 9mm and they do not hit the underside of the slide.

Any suggestions.

Is it just the 9mm mags in the 9mm or is there something wrong with the gun?

Thanks

Bkeeler

I tied that but the mag catch from the kimber will not fit in the STI.

I called Dawson and talked to Paul. He said that this is a technical problem but it is common on the 9mm because of the way the feed lips are designed on the 9mm mags. and the 9mm slide. Also I told him that i filed the tops of the feed lips down a little which he said was fine.

Thanks for the inputs.

bkeeler

Be careful filling the top of the lips, it could be easy to cut too much and your working on the symptom rather than the problem. The problem is probably that the mag catch is holding the mag up a little high. Single stack 9 mags like to nose dive so having the mag sit high is a good thing.  It might cause malfunctions if you shoot prone with the mag pad on the ground otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

• 1 month later...