Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Recomendations?!?!

Rather-B-Huntin

I have a Colt H-Bar II postban rifle and want to buy/build a good Upper for 3-gun use.

Looking for opinions as to what features I should use/look for (barrel length, comp. type, forend type, etc.)

I've only competed in a couple of 3-gun matches so far at the local level. The only venue in my area that hosts 3-gun is a short range affair (50-60 yards max for rifle stages), and thus far I've done just fine using either a Beretta Storm or Bushmaster Carbon 15 9mm carbine. I'm looking to add an upper that will allow me to be competitive should I ever venture to a major 3-gun event where rifle stages extend to hundreds of yards.

Thanks!

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

Buy a DPMS flattop upper with a 20" stainless Hbar profile bbl. Miculek comp. Hack off the sight tower and put on a freefloat tube and you're ready to roll.

The DPMS barrels are supposedly Wilson barrels and shoot very well. Stay away from the heavy tree-trunk DPMS barrels unless you want to pay a smith to turn down and/or flute the bbl.

First, check out the search function and go from there. Like Eric said, starting with a DPMS upper is never a bad choice. You can order it in any configuration you want and the parts are good. The barrels shoot great.

If you want a custom upper, JP and Triangle Shooting Sports, personally, are the gold standard. I have both and feel comfortable going with either again. Both are huge sponsors, promoters and practictioners of our sport and both know what you need/don't need to make a rifle run and do so VERY accurately.

Since you're in Tactical Division, you can pretty much do everything, so start with looking at the Gallery and again around the 3-Gun Forums and you'll find the goods, the not-so-goods and the like. There is a ton of information here so, check it out and roll from there.

Rich

Get a stag upper, there ambi barrel extension. The get Compass lake Engineer to build you a barrel exactly like you want. I like 18 barrels with mid length gas tubes and modest weight. Hang whatever handguard on you like, get low profile, alum gas port.

If you actually want to build it yourself than buy one (JP or RT) then I would say DPMS 18" or 20" HBAR flat top with free float tube. Are you gonna shoot tac iron or scope? Scope the word is Meopta, irons the agreeance is either JP globe or mounting flip up standard sight both mounted out at the muzzle. For a comp its a crap shoot, there are alot of great ones out there, Lund/Titan, BC, Mic, Flatland Forge, Rolling Thunder, etc. Search function for that but you will get the dictionary. I got a Bennie Cooley and like it. I like having the adjustable JP gas block as well. Have fun. Its addictive. here is mine.....

guns002bs0.jpg

• 1 month later...
If you actually want to build it yourself than buy one (JP or RT) then I would say DPMS 18" or 20" HBAR flat top with free float tube. Are you gonna shoot tac iron or scope? Scope the word is Meopta, irons the agreeance is either JP globe or mounting flip up standard sight both mounted out at the muzzle. For a comp its a crap shoot, there are alot of great ones out there, Lund/Titan, BC, Mic, Flatland Forge, Rolling Thunder, etc. Search function for that but you will get the dictionary. I got a Bennie Cooley and like it. I like having the adjustable JP gas block as well. Have fun. Its addictive. here is mine.....

guns002bs0.jpg

Is that a clamp on front sight? If it is any issues of it shooting loose?