Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Dummy Rounds For Weak Hand Reloading

No.343

I'm looking for 12g dummy rounds. I don't want snap caps. I am looking for something with the same "feel" and balance as a live round. My honey-bunny doesn't like it when I load live rounds in the house and neither do I. I am prepared to load my own. I know someone in this forum has done this before. Please give me some ideas. Thanks, Javier

Edited by No.343

The Brownells look like a fair deal but I just had a friend load up (minus powder and primer) a couple boxes of Gray Winchester AA Trap hulls and they work well. I did use some hot melt glue on the crimped ends to help hold in the shot.

The gray helps me keep it straight from the green and red live rounds. YMMV

I'm looking for 12g dummy rounds. I don't want snap caps. I am looking for something with the same "feel" and balance as a live round. My honey-bunny doesn't like it when I load live rounds in the house and neither do I. I am prepared to load my own. I know someone in this forum has done this before. Please give me some ideas. Thanks, Javier

Nothing to it. First, I strongly suggest you get some cases that are visually very different from everything else you use. You don't want to confuse dummy rounds with anything else, either way. Do not deprime the case or, if you must, reprime it with a spent primer. Use anyting granular you like in place of powder, cornmeal, grits, etc. Since I have a bullet vibrator cleaner, I'd use old crushed walnut cleaning media. Use all other components that you would use if loading the rounds for firing.

Lee

I've made up a box of dummies for a few friends locally. I figure if you know someone who reloads shotshells, they can make you some of anything you want. It's not hard to do. In fact I think I've done this for one person more than once since he wore out the shells he was practicing with :D

Vince

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to try and roll my own. I have an old press somewhere. I just need to find different color hulls. It's good to see all the places that sell practice rounds. I had no idea there were that many out there. Thanks again.

Check out Tactical Response Gear.....they have several different types of dumy rounds.

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalo...hp?cPath=22_162

Department has used both kinds shown there, from my experience and IMHO they sux. the plastic they use does not hold up and there is a definite weight difference between real and those. If you are going to buy rounds I would stick with the Remington brand.

If you make your own you can size the hulls then fill the primer pocket with GE silicone, let it dry them trim it with a razor blade. I replace the powder in the measure with something inert like finely crushed walnut hulls and take the primers out, then load them up as normal. You may want to put a little silicone on the crimp to make them last longer. I have used these a lot as dry fire rounds in a Winchester 1897 practicing for CAS. One more thing, make your dummy rounds out of a hull colored different from what you shoot. Also mark them uniquely with a magic marker so you KNOW your dummy rounds.

Keith