Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

I'm wondering if my goal of 2 seconds with an open gun may be too low. I just don't know what I'm capable of??

Capable changes over time ---- if you're stressed or worried that will have a different effect than if you're relaxed and content and eager to just observe and accept the results, without wanting a particular result. You're doing the work, you're figuring out how to modify your workout to serve the developing you, have the faith that the work will get you where you want to go. It sounds like this month has been harder than some others --- that will happen occasionally when one of the plates needs more attention, but it's either a temporary situation or one that you'll figure out how to modify, to restore balance....

At this point I don't know exactly where I'm at in development. So I guess I'll just keep plodding along and shoot'em as I see'em.

Some weeks I step on the scale every day at the gym, and watch my weight bounce up or down a couple of pounds. That used to frustrate me greatly, until I started charting it, and noticed that when I looked at longer intervals, like a week or a month, that I could see a dramatic improvement. It's the same thing with shooting --- when I practice I don't notice the weekly improvements, but then I'll shoot something in a match I've shot before, a classifier or a Texas Star or a Steel array, and notice how much easier it seems. I'll ask the RO to let me scroll through the timer and notice that my transitions or my splits were much faster, with solid hits. A couple of years ago I had an experience at Nationals where it seemed like i could will the steel to fall --- it didn't matter if it was close or far, if I was stationary or shooting on the move. In the entire match I fired one extra round at steel --- and i remember clearly calling the miss....

This has been a frustrating and stressful month at work and it has spilled somewhat over into my shooting :angry: I hate that. :angry::angry: It's time to set some goals for May.

I'm in favor of short term goals (May) but I've been spending a lot of time lately thinking about how short term goals should integrate into long term goals; how to have the short term best serve the long term interests. I think it's about finding a level of balance --- because I see frustration with not reaching short term goals possibly causing a disruption of long term goals....

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mental Management

Right of Passage

Do you remember the first time you beat your Father at a game he taught you? It’s a right of passage common among men. I’m sure Father’s must feel pride that their son is becoming a man and has mastered the skills they have taught them but I wonder what the young man feels? What does it feel like to beat the one who taught you?

I’m pondering this because I’m facing a right of passage in my shooting development. What is going to happen to me emotionally when I beat my mentor at a match? I want to beat him but I don’t want to beat him. For me it is very much like beating your Father for the first time at a game he taught you. For those of you who have had this experience would you please explain it to me? I’m totally being a girl about this and I need to get over it so that I can attain this goal. Please explain it to me. :)

**Thanks Nik and Matt for your post.

For those of you who have had this experience would you please explain it to me? I'm totally being a girl about this and I need to get over it so that I can attain this goal. Please explain it to me. :)

Its not just "being a girl" - everyone experiences that to some degree. Its somewhat about self-image - and being worried about hurting someone by beating them, or what they or you will think, etc... those are ways your mind seeks to maintain performance congruent with your self image (ie, right now, you don't believe you can, even though maybe you've seen inklings in your performance that suggest you can). Its also about fear (of success) - because once you acheive something the first time, you suddenly "have" to step up and perform at that level consistently ("have" being a pressure you put on yourself)... and more fear (of failure) - because if you don't beat your mentor at some point, then what good is all the hard work you've been doing, and are the inklings you're seeing of improved performance actually accurate or not, and are you ever going to succeed (win) or are you doomed to dismality???

More than a "test of (wo)manhood", I see this as a first real test of mental toughness and mental management :) Its sort of your first "big match win", in a way, and keeping your head straight in that whirlwind is a challenge. Like anything else, it may take practice to get it right - but you will get it right, and when you do, it will be no big deal, as if you expected it to happen all along.

When this happened to me the first time, I was elated, fearful, and cocky all at once - and that's a really wild mix of emotions to have going on. Over time, though, I understood what those things meant and felt like, and they don't bug me anymore - I use that energy to fuel my performance, instead. It took me quite a while to figure that out, though...

What is going to happen to me emotionally when I beat my mentor at a match? I want to beat him but I don’t want to beat him.

When you reach that level, compete with your entire mind, heart and body, and let the results speak for themselves. The better shooter will win, and should win. To do the alternative --- to hold back --- would be to devalue the lessons and the relationship.

If real, the relationship will evolve --- perhaps to a whole new level of interaction and communication. Too philosophical?

As I start to have brief glimpses of what I might be capable of I realize I haven’t mentally prepared for success. What happens when what I’ve been training for happens? What happens when I beat my mentor? How am I going to handle that? What happens when I am high lady on a stage at Nationals?

We plan and plan how we are going to attain goals but we spend little time in processing what we will do after we attain those goals. I'm thinking of the Lanny story of how depressed he got right after he won his gold medal. I’m trying to plan/cope/deal with the possibility of success. I think Nelson Mandela had it right in his famous quote “Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.” I would have to say that is true. I'm not afraid that I won't succeed, I'm afraid that I will.

Yep, I got a mental management problem. I have no idea how I'm going to process it. I'm trying to process it before it happens so that when it does happen I will be prepared. ;)

Thanks for the input XRE.

With me, I never even thought about those things. I focused everything on training and the process of getting to that point. I did that for so long that when things like that finally did happen, I wasn't really surprised.

After all...that's what I was training for.

With me, I never even thought about those things. I focused everything on training and the process of getting to that point. I did that for so long that when things like that finally did happen, I wasn't really surprised.

After all...that's what I was training for.

Preparing my mind to be a winner is part of the training. ;)

I dunno. I guess the way I looked at it was that being a winner was a foregone conclusion if I outworked everyone else.

Oh, how I wish that was actually true every time. A great dose of reality is one (1) knowing you've outworked and outperformed everyone to the right and left of your and (2) still losing. Humbleness and disillusionment follow in large doses, then.

But, great for you if that actually is true for you and anyone else.

It may not be in a week or in a month or even in a year. But if you consistently outwork your competition, day after day and week after week than it is only a matter of time until you beat them.

If you never do beat them...guess what. You never outworked them. You never committed. Committing means you do it without fail. Whether you are strung out, hung over, eyes bulging out of your head, too tired, it's too cold, too hot, or too hard.

Here is the secret of the pros. The pros train. They train consistently and they train indefinetely. The ones who are at the top of their field...the elite...trained harder and longer than anyone else.

(Jane, sorry if you consider this hijacking....let me know and I'll pull it)

I dunno. I guess the way I looked at it was that being a winner was a foregone conclusion if I outworked everyone else.

Not saying that's the right way of going about it, that's just what I stumbled into.

One of the beautiful things about being human is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and our individual attitudes and temperaments... ;) Sometimes I wish I could be the way you approached it, Jake, but... then it wouldn't be me, I guess :) It took me time to arrive at that, and lots of worthless (in retrospect) worrying, etc.... Just different people... :)

A great dose of reality is one (1) knowing you've outworked and outperformed everyone to the right and left of your and (2) still losing. Humbleness and disillusionment follow in large doses, then.

Some unsolicited advice/experience on this topic... take it for what its worth....

If you outperformed everyone, how did you still lose? I guess that part of your statement doesn't make sense to me. "Outwork" doesn't necessarily mean "worked better" or "worked more positively than". If you're not working the right stuff, or you're spending time working on things that aren't weaknesses (or, put another way, not empahsizing your weaknesses in your practice), etc... you may be shooting more rounds, doing more dry fire, spending more time than the next guy... but maybe he's actually getting more real work done....

When you're in that situation, feeling that way - that's a good time to get right back to square one, and do an honest, full tilt, no holds barred self examination (and I mean rigorously, unflinchingly honest). If you truly want to improve, and you don't identify the true cause of your stagnation, you weren't honest enough, or you didn't dig deep enough. Question everything you know and get a reputable person (ideally, someone who you'd like to perform like) to double check you on everything... ;) It will improve, if you identify the right things to work on, and still keep that same discipline....

Eh, what do I know, anyway??? <_<:lol:

If you outperformed everyone, how did you still lose?

Because sometimes, in these sports and others, and in real life, winning is a matter of opinion - someone else's opinion. That's what I'm getting at.

Sorry for the thread drift - now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Mental Management

Right of Passage

Do you remember the first time you beat your Father at a game he taught you? It’s a right of passage common among men. I’m sure Father’s must feel pride that their son is becoming a man and has mastered the skills they have taught them but I wonder what the young man feels? What does it feel like to beat the one who taught you?

I’m pondering this because I’m facing a right of passage in my shooting development. What is going to happen to me emotionally when I beat my mentor at a match? I want to beat him but I don’t want to beat him. For me it is very much like beating your Father for the first time at a game he taught you. For those of you who have had this experience would you please explain it to me? I’m totally being a girl about this and I need to get over it so that I can attain this goal. Please explain it to me. :)

My husband Dave and I were talking about this last night. He told me what it was like to beat his Dad at basketball for the first time. He simply said, "It was great". There was no emotional upheaval...feeling bad for the "old man". It was great, he beat him, and he didn't even look back. And there you have it folks. Perhaps this is the difference between men and women. As a woman I think I'm a little more sensitive to the emotional...both my emotions and the emotions of others. OK that's me and that is OK. I've identified a problem I may have and I've thought about how to handle it. From your posts, and some PM's I have received, I think I've got enough advice to work through my mental management problem. Thank you all.

I've got to go load bullets now...but my next post will be looking at what I want to accomplish in the month of May.

I would like to add that when our boys start beating me (us) at stuff, I will feel nothing but pride in THEIR accomplishment.

Of course, they will have to do without an allowance for a couple of weeks, use of the car, etc. :) Small price to pay.

Edited by davidball

Here is a list of things I'll be working on in April

Load development (3N38 will be the next load to try)

MORE ROUNDS DOWN RANGE (need to learn how to shoot my new gun)

Record times (draws, splits, bill drill times etc.)

Movement work (I'm really looking forward to working on this!!)

Add a heart monitor to aerobic workouts (want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my 20-30 min workouts)

Increase weights in my lifting (need to purchase some more weights)

Re-evaluate my stretching goals (need to either adjust goal or do better)

3N38- The barrier is that I need Dave to set up the machine. This will not happen until he is out of school. The N350 loads works fine.

Heart Monitor-It occured to me that perhaps I could put my finger on my carotid for 10 seconds and count. After all I am a paid professional for Pete's sake!! So I saved the $$ and didn't purchase a montior.

More Rounds Down Range- Oh yeah baby! I'm getting the feel for it!!

Record times- I didn't do as much as I wanted, but I did learn some things. I've got a feel for what my splits are at different distances. I'm finding that the use of a par timer on the draw is NECESSARY to make me pull the trigger when I see the shot. If the par timer is off..I take my time to make the shot perfect.

Weights- I bought the weights but I'm going to change up my workout routine this month. I'm going to try circuit training. I'm looking forward to getting a killer workout in a short amount of time.

Movement work- I'm much better at picking up the dot on the move but I've only just begun. This next month I'm really going to crank it out with movement in and out of boxes.

Things I want to work on in May

Swingers

Movement

Awkward positions

I had trouble at a match last weekend with a swinger. I don't know my timing with this new gun. I worked on it today in live fire. I felt most comfortable shooting with a dot focus instead of a target focus. However, I could hit the target either way. I just felt more comfortable with a dot focus and allowing the target to come into the sight. That's no big surprise since I'm a limited shooter. What do you all do?? Target focus on swingers or dot focus???

Live Fire Today

Round count 260

Swingers (160) Shot it at the pause and at 10-2

4 poppers (60)

2 popper reload 2 popper (40)

Most important thing that happened today was....I had a change of heart. ;)

The harder the swinger gets, the less you can set the gun there and let the target come to you. You won't have enough time to shoot it while it is in front of your sights. Track the target and you have much longer.

I always look at the target and bring the sights to it.

Two quick thoughts - when Dave sets the press up for 3N38 for you, get him to show you how to do it. If he's brave enough, get him to step you through it so that you set it up for 3N38 (I've learned not to try to teach my wife anything... ;) but maybe Dave hasn't... :D ). Then he won't be a barrier to further load development for you... ;)

Swingers... Swingers can present themselves in all kinds of ways, so its good to practice several ways to shoot at them.

1- The typical thing is a swinger that's exposed for 50-70% of its swing, and we typically try to trap them at the bottom of the swing where its moving slowest. So, practice that shot - even practice slightly following the target to a stop and as it leaves.

2 - sometimes you get a setup where you only see 10-20% of the swing, and its only at the top, where its moving the fastest, and there's no way to swing with it (maybe its guarded by hardcover or no-shoots). We had a couple of these at the last nationals. So, here you're waiting on the target, and its *moving*. Get used to timings on when you need to pull the trigger to get the bullet where you want it, how many you can put on it while its available, etc

3 - the fast swinger is tough to trap, as Matt says. Practice leading them at different speeds and distances. One drill that comes to mind is to activate the swinger with a popper, and then shoot a bill drill on it, focusing on all As. Do that at different distances and speeds. Then you'll be able to also adapt to targets you'd intended to trap, but the timing got off (you got there earlier than expected, or something happened in between and cost you some time) - this way you can save some time, rather than waiting for another oscillation

You can do all that w/ a dot gun, or iron sighted gun, either way. The dot gun has a little more of the target visible, of course, but the same principles apply, either way... ;)

The harder the swinger gets, the less you can set the gun there and let the target come to you. You won't have enough time to shoot it while it is in front of your sights. Track the target and you have much longer.

I always look at the target and bring the sights to it.

I know you are right. Your advice is always solid. But I have to admit it scares me (OK it freaks out my mind) to track the target. I'm going to train myself to track the target but when I change back to the limited gun I'm worried it could cause me some problems <_<

XRE: Bill drills on swingers...I think I like the sound of that. :) Also I'm sure Dave would show me how to set up the Dillion, but I don't really want to know. I'm clinging to my last crutch to total independence. ;)

Swingers have always been my nemesis. Here is link to what I shared with Merlin about my journey with swingers.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=43421&st=0

Edited by Calamity Jane

Here's something to try on swingers.

Shoot with varying degrees of cover using the examples XRE gave you, but when you shoot it shoot 10- 15 rounds a string.

This has helped me get used to the target speed and the amount of time you really wait for that sucka to show up again.

Good stuff, James :)

Jane - this might sound tough to believe on the surface, but I think all the guys responding to this thread will back me up - anything you learn with the Open gun will translate immediately back to the Limited gun in a way that's tough to describe but will become very apparent when you do it (after spending some time shooting the Open gun). And... things you learn with the Limited gun will translate right back to Open, as well. Give it some time, and then switch back, and see if that isn't correct ;) Its the coolest thing....

Last crutch to independence.... :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by XRe

Dave and I had the opportunity to travel to the northern part of the state and shoot a match at North Porter County Conservation Club. I would like to thank them kindly for their hospitality and for serving me a great big piece of humble pie! They put on a match with 4 stages that really exposed some weaknesses of mine. Today confirmed that my practice plan for May is right on the money. My mental trip down "Glory Lane" is officially over and I'm back to work.

The challenges I faced today included:

Shooting an open gun through a plywood turret. OOUCH!!! It rattled my teeth and contused my brain!!! I'm serious!!! The stage had 16 poppers at around 20 yards. You had to engage all poppers through the turret. I knew it was going to be loud, but I wasn't prepared for the percussion. I couldn't pull the trigger without flinching. After the first 6 shots I DIDN'T WANT TO PULL the trigger anymore. IT HURT!! I was double plugged but it didn't help. I've got to figure out how to shoot through a barrel or turret with this gun without flinching. I'll be experimenting with that this week at the range.

Shooting with stong hand down an alley. The stage was one with an alley that you had to carry a duffle bag down and shoot with your strong hand. I knew what I could do on the right side but I didn't know what I could do indexing to my left side with my strong hand. I'll be practicing as I stated before with more movement this month. Going down an alley will be on the agenda.

Shooting from an awkward position. Shot a stage behind a wall basically using full cover. If was VERY uncomfortable. If the fault lines had extended just 4 inches from the wall it would have made a BIG difference. I did a side lunge squat move. You had to be there to understand. ;)

EL PREZ. I shot it in 5.90 which was the exact right pace for where I'm at right now. The trouble was points (41) I had one alpha and the rest were charlie deltas. I saw every shot and watched the dot bounce. As it was bouncing I was saying to myself "Why is the dot bouncing so much?" After I unloaded and showed clear it came to me I DIDN'T KILL THE SNAKE!!!!!!! My grip was not aggressive enough to handle the speed. I KNOW THAT! My brain just couldn't correct it in time. Perhaps one day I will be able to see and correct the instant it happens...not after the "range is clear" command. :wacko: XRE, before you say it...I know, I know...Burkett timing drills. :rolleyes: I'm going to shoot the El Prez in practice and see where I'm really at with an aggressive grip. I was really pleased with the turn and draw, reload and pace....I just need to get control with my grip.

Shooting through soft cover. We don't do this a lot at our local matches. I thought I was right on the A, but when we went to score I got charlie/deltas. I'm open to suggestions on how to approach shooting through soft cover. I need to practice this skill because I have VERY little experience with it. BTW Dave had the same trouble...he also thought he was right on the A but wasn't. I don't like shooting at stuff I can't see.

This month is about really shaking this gun out. Confidence is key in this game and I just haven't shot or experienced enough with this gun to know what I can and can't do. I'm hoping this month will be a confidence builder.

I believe you guys when you say this journey is going to make me a better shooter. I wouldn't do it if I didn't believe. Faith, hope and love....the greatest is love but faith and hope are pretty good too. I've got both. ;)

[

The challenges I faced today included:

Shooting from an awkward position. Shot a stage behind a wall basically using full cover. If was VERY uncomfortable. If the fault lines had extended just 4 inches from the wall it would have made a BIG difference. I did a side lunge squat move. You had to be there to understand. ;)

I believe you guys when you say this journey is going to make me a better shooter. I wouldn't do it if I didn't believe. Faith, hope and love....the greatest is love but faith and hope are pretty good too. I've got both. ;)

Jane,

Just wanted to let you know your side lunge was by far the most aggressive I saw on that stage all day!! After you left while waiting for the next group I tried to duplicate your lunge and foot position...I dont know how you did it!! It would take all my concentration to keep my foot off the gravel ...and that felt real uncomfortable. I thought you shot that stage well.

Very glad you and David came to our club and hope to see you there Again!...John

Shooting through soft cover. We don't do this a lot at our local matches. I thought I was right on the A, but when we went to score I got charlie/deltas. I'm open to suggestions on how to approach shooting through soft cover. I need to practice this skill because I have VERY little experience with it. BTW Dave had the same trouble...he also thought he was right on the A but wasn't. I don't like shooting at stuff I can't see.

You could see the heads, right? (Or maybe you couldn't. A rules review reveals that targets may now be entirely hidden behind soft cover --- I've never seen that approach used, but it appears to be legal.) For side to side orientation the A zone lines up with the head dimensions; for vertical orientation I try to drop to drop about six inches below the neck, which provides my usual 2/3 to 3/4 up the lower A zone aiming spot....

If you're shooting the targets at steep angles, the side to side dimension appears to shrink --- you need to decide before you start where your personal tradeoff in the A/C or really motor/lose significant time lies.....

Soft cover is just another distraction....

I was double plugged but it didn't help.

Just curious?? Did you have your mouth open? I find that, for me, closing my mouth seems to help dimish the effect of concussion... Its a weird one, I know, but... :D

Other than that, its just conditioning... double plugged and it physically hurt? That's not cool :( What rating are your ear muffs?

XRE, before you say it...I know, I know...Burkett timing drills. :rolleyes:

:P:P

Actually, it sounds like you have your grip together - and you're aware of when you don't. What it sounds like is happening is that you're just not nailing your grip 100% when you draw under pressure. A timing drill isn't really going to help you, there... If I were struggling with that issue (and I have and do sometimes), I'd start running stage-like drills under par time pressure (like, El Pres, Bill Drills, etc) - keep the pars reasonable and feel that grip lock in, and when you're nailing it, start driving down the par time to put pressure on yourself....

I just need to get control with my grip.

I'm impressed, actually, that you're already that aware of how your gun is moving, and where the dot is going. Some people (many people, possibly - me included, honestly) go years before they realize it... and some never do... ;) That's pretty bitchin, Jane :)

Remember that you just made this huge change to a completely new platform, with a new grip, and everything. Its going to take a little bit of time to gel for you all the time. :) Your progress is superb - don't let the last challenges of the switch convince you otherwise....

Shooting through soft cover. We don't do this a lot at our local matches. I thought I was right on the A, but when we went to score I got charlie/deltas. I'm open to suggestions on how to approach shooting through soft cover.

It can definitely be tricky - and the type of soft cover has a large amount of influence on how easy it is... Basically, I try to pick up on the outline of the target through the softcover, and visualize based on that where I need to put the gun. I can't say that I've ever sat down to devise a drill to shoot soft cover targets well - the only easy one that comes to mind is to just do it in practice - different targets, different presentations, etc. It used to bug me, when it was new to me, now I don't really notice it.. Sorry, not much help here ;)

Faith, hope and love....the greatest is love but faith and hope are pretty good too. I've got both.

You have the right attitude, Jane - and the drive and will to make it happen. And... the natural aptitude, it would appear. You have a lot of positive things on your side :)

Thanks guys! I wanted to reply sooner but I've been held hostage by my work place. :angry:

XRE: Dillion electronic ear muffs (electronics off related to dead batteries) and silicone wax ear plugs. Mouth was closed. The turret was an 18 inch square plywood box approximately 30 inches long. If it had only been a few shots (4-6) through it I would have been OK...16 plus shots through it with and open gun...rang my bell! :wacko: As a general rule, I stay out of ports and barrels if I can. :)