Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Way To Size Brass (or Should I Just Lubricate It)?

Cuz

Right2Bear,

That's a big gain, but think mechanically. Does your car run without oil? Of course not. It will though, but not as well as it can with. The point being that the press runs better with lubed brass. Less friction/resistance from the brass, means the machine can do what it needs/wants to do easier and more accurately/efficiently.

The big gain is better quality ammo.

Rich

I reload 9mm on my 550B and have never had an issue with resizing. Most of my brass is Glock'd and re-Glock'd...am I missing something?

I doubt it matters, but I should have mentioned that I'm using Lee dies on my RL550B. I need to get some lube and give it a try.

-Cuz.

Hey Cuz,

Case Pro 100.

Works great. I have it mounted next to my 1050 that loads my Super ammo. Just turn the case feeder around and use it to drop cases in. I can roll size 100 pieces in well under 5 minutes.

I have dies for .38 Super, .40 and .223.

Rich

Thanks. I think I'll try the $6 case lube option before considering the CasePro. It's a little more than I want to spend to resize brass at this time.

-Cuz.

Cuz,

Oh it's definitely a luxury item rather than a "must have". The other way I'd go is to use an EGW resizing die. I'm not a fan in the least of anything Lee although I have their hand primer and some friends like their neck sizing dies.

Let us know how it goes.

Rich

Lube on the cases allows you to operate the press in a more comfortable, consistent fashion, which results in more consistent ammo.

I currently load on a 550, but loaded on a 650 in the past (and wish to load on a 1050 in the future... :D ). For me, lubing results in a press that takes very little effort to operate at all, even w/ a Lee U-die when loading .40. Without lube, it takes a significant push down on the downstroke to resize the case - both in .38 Supercomp and .40....

I end up less fatigued, am able to load more quickly (because of the low effort and smoothness of the press), and load more consistent ammo because I can more easily apply the same amount of force on each stroke, etc....

I end up less fatigued, am able to load more quickly (because of the low effort and smoothness of the press), and load more consistent ammo because I can more easily apply the same amount of force on each stroke, etc....

:):)

That is what I meant to say too..... ;)

DougC

The other way I'd go is to use an EGW resizing die. I'm not a fan in the least of anything Lee although I have their hand primer and some friends like their neck sizing dies.

lol.. the 'EGW' die... is a Lee die. EGW just sells it.